Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

America: Where Even Our Holy Men Are Armed And Will Take You Out
Quote | Reply
We've already highlighted the Tumwater, WA attempted carjacking in a Walmart parking lot several days ago. Just who the civilian concealed carrier was, the fellow who stopped the carjacker in his is tracks, is a bit newsworthy:

"[David] George isn’t just the pastor of the Oakville Assembly of God Church. He describes himself as a trained EMT with the town’s fire department, a certified gun-range safety officer and a licensed concealed-carry holder who has trained for active shooter situations."

The carjacker had fired shots in the Walmart as part of his theft of ammunition. Unfortunately for the criminal, who had run out into the store's parking lot and was busily trying to violently commandeer a vehicle at the point of his gun, injuring innocent motorists in the process, the cleric followed him out to the lot and then took matters into his own hands.

I suspect that the carjacker died from a combination of hearing the Good Word and copper-jacketed rounds... but mostly copper-jacketed rounds.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jun 21, 18 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: America: Where Even Our Holy Men Are Armed And Will Take You Out [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The same thing is happening in the Philippines. In the last 6 months, 3 priests have been murdered, one right in front of the congregation. One was murdered for supporting the closure of a local mine for environmental reasons, another for coming to the aid of a woman who was raped and the guilty person was afraid he would be exposed and not sure about the third one.

Now, a large number of priests in the country are trying to get permission to arm themselves. They have fairly strict rules about carrying a weapon and one criteria is that your job puts you in a high risk situation (ie. bank tellers, lawyers, judges). Not that many carry here compared with the U.S and there is far less legal gun ownership. The leadership is largely opposed to the proposal, saying they can't teach about peace and forgiveness, while carrying a gun.

It's becoming more and more like the Wild West here.
Quote Reply
Re: America: Where Even Our Holy Men Are Armed And Will Take You Out [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used to be, we only had to worry about the nuns with rulers ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: America: Where Even Our Holy Men Are Armed And Will Take You Out [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Used to be, we only had to worry about the nuns with rulers ...

Oh, I've been the recipient of a ruler swipe from a Penguin on more than a few occasions during my Catholic school youth. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good.
The more this happens, the more criminals will think twice about doing that shit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I happen to know a Rabbi here in the good ol USA that has a AR15 in a neat little stand inside his pulpit in the synagogue. He served in the IDF and is one bad hombre!
Quote Reply
Re: America: Where Even Our Holy Men Are Armed And Will Take You Out [SlowSteady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The more this happens, the more criminals will think twice about doing that shit!

You would think that with the high rates of armed citizens, the U.S crime rate would be low but it doesn't seem to work that way. It doesn't seem that arming people is a big deterrent to crime.
Quote Reply
Re: America: Where Even Our Holy Men Are Armed And Will Take You Out [SlowSteady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SlowSteady wrote:
Good.

Welcome back!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: America: Where Even Our Holy Men Are Armed And Will Take You Out [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

You would think that with the high rates of armed citizens, the U.S crime rate would be low but it doesn't seem to work that way. It doesn't seem that arming people is a big deterrent to crime.

US violent crime rates are at an all-time low and rates of firearm ownership are higher than they have ever been. I think you have bad information. Look to the FBI Crime Reports for actual hard statistics that are not MSNBC talking points.
https://www.spicetac.com/
https://www.spicetac.com/...itride-ar15-bcg-556/

Last edited by: SlowSteady: Dec 5, 18 11:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look to the FBI Crime Reports for actual hard statistics that are not MSNBC talking points.

I'm in the Philippines, pretty hard to get MSNBC and when I'm back in Canada, I've never seen watched that news source. People who want more guns can find support anywhere and people who don't can do the same. it just depends where you look at how you manipulate statistics to prove your point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SlowSteady wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

US violent crime rates are at an all-time low and rates of firearm ownership are higher than they have ever been. I think you have bad information. Look to the FBI Crime Reports for actual hard statistics that are not MSNBC talking points.

I love that righties ignore facts.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/stats/Crime/Violent-crime/Murder-rate

We're routinely in the top worst countries for violent crime rates. Yet we're tops for gun ownership.
Quote Reply
Re: America: Where Even Our Holy Men Are Armed And Will Take You Out [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

We're routinely in the top worst countries for violent crime rates. Yet we're tops for gun ownership.

I'm not a "righty" or a "lefty" by most people's definition of each, but I do support the ACLU and I'm a member of the NRA.

The gun ownership statistics my be (probably are) correct, but you have to take them in context. I keep my guns locked up in my house, just like the rest of my family has done for as long as I remember. That is also the way all my friends families kept their guns when I was growing up in a fly-over state. Guns came out for specific reasons - they weren't general carry items like so many in the anti-gun crowd think. and as far as I've seen when I go home, it is still that way. I would guess that extends to the majority of gun owners, and you can't use it if it isn't available when you need it. That is why we have a large gun ownership that doesn't seem to have an affect on crime.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: America: Where Even Our Holy Men Are Armed And Will Take You Out [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:

I'm not a "righty" or a "lefty" by most people's definition of each, but I do support the ACLU and I'm a member of the NRA.

The gun ownership statistics my be (probably are) correct, but you have to take them in context. I keep my guns locked up in my house, just like the rest of my family has done for as long as I remember. That is also the way all my friends families kept their guns when I was growing up in a fly-over state. Guns came out for specific reasons - they weren't general carry items like so many in the anti-gun crowd think. and as far as I've seen when I go home, it is still that way. I would guess that extends to the majority of gun owners, and you can't use it if it isn't available when you need it. That is why we have a large gun ownership that doesn't seem to have an affect on crime.

Pretty much the same for me, except for the NRA part. Although my dad never locked up the guns, they only came out during hunting season, and I don't think he had fired his .45 since he was in the service. If for some reason I wanted to access a gun for home defense in my own house today, I'd have to go to one room to get the keys, another room to get essential elements of the guns (e.g., I field strip the handguns and keep the barrels apart from the rest), a third room for ammo can, go to the opposite end of the house, unlock the gun cabinet, take off the trigger locks, assemble the weapon, unlock the ammo can, load...Without exaggeration, I could probably cook and eat a box of macaroni and cheese faster than I could get one of my weapons up and ready for use :)
Last edited by: wimsey: Jul 11, 18 9:21
Quote Reply