Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maximum reasonable gap between swim waves
Quote | Reply
My local Sprint Triathlon on Sunday has annouced its swim waves:

http://multisportcanada.com/tri/welland-swim-waves-posted/

A 20 minute gap between most.

Quote:
The waves will be spread-out over much longer period of time this year owing to the short multi-lap nature of the course and the fact that we have fully closed roads on the bike course. This will ensure that all participants have a safe, fair and fun experience on the day with plenty of room to ride

Not sure how to feel about this. I am pleased to be racing on closed roads. I love the series and how it is run. And understand the issues with doing multi laps on a short loop.

But I have a nagging feeling it will seem like an empty course. Less a race and more a solo effort.

What is your experience with wide wave gaps?

Quote Reply
Re: Maximum reasonable gap between swim waves [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how many athletes in each wave?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Maximum reasonable gap between swim waves [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
how many athletes in each wave?

If participation is the same as last year you will have:

Wave 1 (M39 and under) - about 80
Wave 2 (Duathletes of all ability) - about 90
Wave 3 (M 40-49 and Relays of all ability) - about 60
Wave 4 (W39 and under) - about 70
Wave 5
Wave 6
Wave 7 -

Maybe 550 participants all in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Seeing as the swim is 750m and the bike laps are 6.6K you are going to have waves coming onto the course at the same time that people are coming around for second and third laps. No telling where they will all bunch up. On the other hand people will be off the bike course by the time the third or fourth wave comes out of the water so maybe that is the benefit. Give us a update on how it all turns out.

I will be doing the St Mary's quarry swim on Sunday.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Jun 21, 18 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty certain it won't feel empty. If just 2 waves are on the bike course (for fun we will call it 150 bikes), course is 6600 meters, works out to 44m per rider.
Quote Reply
Re: Maximum reasonable gap between swim waves [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Seeing as the swim is 750m and the bike laps are 6.6K you are going to have waves coming onto the course at the same time that people are coming around for second and third laps. No telling where they will all bunch up. On the other hand people will be off the bike course by the time the third or fourth wave comes out of the water so maybe that is the benefit. Give us a update on how it all turns out.

I will be doing the St Mary's quarry swim on Sunday.

I think there might be some grumbles from the later waves based on waiting time.

Transition is due to close at 7:55 and the last wave goes off at 9:40.

So you have some athletes waiting 1:45 to start their race. Forecast is for rain :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think there might be some grumbles from the later waves based on waiting time.

Transition is due to close at 7:55 and the last wave goes off at 9:40.

So you have some athletes waiting 1:45 to start their race. Forecast is for rain :-)

On Sunday we have to check in our shoes in T2 by 10:30, the race starts at 13:15. Someone has to be there by 9:30 to pick up the start numbers too!
The first race starts at 11:00, that's why we have to be done so early, it's still a lot of waiting around though. I will try to just spectate and cheer on the first races, then get ready for my race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm am not familiar with the area but I would think 20min is to short of a gap for that bike course. Each loop is only 6.6km but has 3 dead turns! It is going to feel like a crit not a solo TT.

As for the roads being closed I can't see their being any other option given the dead turns. Any cars on a course like that would be utter chaos.
Quote Reply
Re: Maximum reasonable gap between swim waves [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
I'm am not familiar with the area but I would think 20min is to short of a gap for that bike course. Each loop is only 6.6km but has 3 dead turns! It is going to feel like a crit not a solo TT.

As for the roads being closed I can't see their being any other option given the dead turns. Any cars on a course like that would be utter chaos.

The closed roads are an asset. I ma interested to see how it pans out. Even if there are 200 concurrent bikes on the course that is only 33 meters each.

Looking forward to the hairpins

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it rain alot?. Boy it rained alot in many places in Ontario today.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Maximum reasonable gap between swim waves [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Did it rain alot?. Boy it rained alot in many places in Ontario today.

Fortunately they have the indoor facility available.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply