Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Just speculating...but there's something weird about this.

I wonder if it wasn't really intended to troll liberals, but was instead intended as a private "fuck you" to her husband.

I imagine she was kind of forced into making this trip as a PR maneuver. Trump wasn't going to do it himself. So this was her way of being subversive. And the "Do you?" was for him.

Just a thought.

What if the question she was answering was, "Do you care if two guys get married?"

Or the question could have been, "Do you care if Barron has friends who are black?"
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whataboutism for the win!

We could speculate on a whole host of shit, but at least others here are speculating about things that are relevant to actual situations that have occurred.

The simple fact of the matter is it was a poor choice, particularly from someone whose wardrobe choices have been carefully calculated in the past. Even if she wasn't trying to send a message of not caring about the immigrants at the border or even if she wasn't trying to send any message at all, it was a terribly short-sighted and inappropriate choice in the scheme of things and context of her trip.

Is it worth getting all pissed off about? Not really, as there are policy-specific issue Trump has failed on that are worth being pissed off about and fighting, things that matter at the ballot box. Plenty of those.

DJRed wrote:
trail wrote:
Just speculating...but there's something weird about this.

I wonder if it wasn't really intended to troll liberals, but was instead intended as a private "fuck you" to her husband.

I imagine she was kind of forced into making this trip as a PR maneuver. Trump wasn't going to do it himself. So this was her way of being subversive. And the "Do you?" was for him.

Just a thought.

What if the question she was answering was, "Do you care if two guys get married?"

Or the question could have been, "Do you care if Barron has friends who are black?"
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
klehner wrote:
Travis R wrote:
Why do I have a feeling the sales of that jacket have skyrocketed today?

Last year's jacket, and reportedly long sold out.

I read that. So I'm off to the local Goodwill store to grab some old jackets and then Wally World for a can of white paint.

MAGA!

Dang, why didn't I think of this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/retailers-are-selling-i-really-care-jackets-in-response-to-melania-trump-to-raise-money-for-immigrant-families-%E2%80%94-and-theyve-already-sold-out-twice/ar-AAz1XYL?li=BBnb7Kz

Back to Goodwill and Walmart for me.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

I think it's hard to imagine any other question than the obvious one given the context.
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
klehner wrote:
Travis R wrote:
Why do I have a feeling the sales of that jacket have skyrocketed today?

Last year's jacket, and reportedly long sold out.

I read that. So I'm off to the local Goodwill store to grab some old jackets and then Wally World for a can of white paint.

MAGA!

Dang, why didn't I think of this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/whats-hot/retailers-are-selling-i-really-care-jackets-in-response-to-melania-trump-to-raise-money-for-immigrant-families-%E2%80%94-and-theyve-already-sold-out-twice/ar-AAz1XYL?li=BBnb7Kz

Back to Goodwill and Walmart for me.

http://www.howies.co.uk/really-care/mens-really-care-tshirt-2018.html?colour=316

Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Jun 22, 18 13:31
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they're all over eBay too. It's now officially a cash cow (for what, three days? Then people will be over it).

Meanwhile, in the detention centres . . .
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
DJRed wrote:

I think it's hard to imagine any other question than the obvious one given the context.

The context being she was making a trip to the border? OK, then how about the questions being:

• Your doctor says you shouldn't take such a physically demanding trip so close to your surgery. Do you care?
  • You are going to be criticized by the media no matter what for taking this trip. Do you care?
  • You are travelling to an area ravaged by flooding and your personal safety could be at risk. Do you care?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And to think Obama got a raft of shit from many of the same "Melania's coat is no big deal" crowd for wearing a tan suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the fuck? Are you managing a red herring factory?

DJRed wrote:
trail wrote:
DJRed wrote:

The context being she was making a trip to the border? OK, then how about the questions being:

• Your doctor says you shouldn't take such a physically demanding trip so close to your surgery. Do you care?
  • You are going to be criticized by the media no matter what for taking this trip. Do you care?
  • You are travelling to an area ravaged by flooding and your personal safety could be at risk. Do you care?
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
What the fuck? Are you managing a red herring factory?

DJRed wrote:
trail wrote:
DJRed wrote:

Easy, cowboy. I'm just playing out possibilities. There was speculation about what the question was in the thread so I did my own speculation.

Is my speculation any less reasonable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

The second one is a possibility, I guess. The others are a stretch.

I can't figure out if she's really smart, and intended to make us all run in circles deciphering a cryptic, ambiguous statement. Or just screwed up. I think she probably thought about it a lot, though because any former super model is acutely aware of people looking at her and how she looks.

Regardless, it's subversive. This was almost certainly not the idea of either her own or the WH's communications depts. She went off-script. Which is kinda cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s the most idiotic question I’ve read all week, but I’ll play along.

Yes. Yes, it is far less reasonable. At least everyone else’s speculation had something, however stretching the logic, to do with a realistic scenario.

DJRed wrote:
Easy, cowboy. I'm just playing out possibilities. There was speculation about what the question was in the thread so I did my own speculation.

Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [PrinceMax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
Flexible morality? Look at threads involving Chris Christie. I don't recall him mocking someone's appearance yet that didn't stop many people here from ridiculing him over his weight. In fact some of the same people who were outraged about the Michele Obama joke have made fun of Christie's appearance.
I don't know if it's because she's a black female that she's off limits or if it that she's on the left, but there certainly seems to be a double standard in play.

My feeling is that generally family members are innocent bystanders. Sure the first lady is much less of a bystander than the kids, but I think it's not too cool to go after their appearance. Go after their deeds. What Melania did yesterday was a good thing. But the jacket was a really bad idea. Specifically because of threads like this. It takes away from the good thing she did. Now all of the talk is about whether she is an idiot, an asshole, or just clueless.

Either way, going after Trump or Chris Christie because they are fat is kind of weak sauce along the lines of calling him Drumpf, or calling Obama Obummer, etc. In general when I see that kind of name calling in an opinion, my view of that opinion is lowered from the start. And my opinion of the person who use that gets lowered. If that's the best you've got...

I think that this was brought about by talk radio. I'm in my mid 50's and I clearly remember hearing snippets of Rush Limbaugh labeling groups that he didn't like (fem nazi, tree hugger, etc) and telling how evil they were. Then all you need to do is call somebody a [insert label here] and nobody has to listen to their opinion because now we all know that everybody under that label is not worth listening to.

It is intellectually weak to do that and intellectually weak to be swayed by it.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ny time Melanie coat
MidwestRoadie wrote:
It’s the most idiotic question I’ve read all week, but I’ll play along.

Yes. Yes, it is far less reasonable. At least everyone else’s speculation had something, however stretching the logic, to do with a realistic scenario.

DJRed wrote:

Consider this from the very reasonable NY Times: https://www.nytimes.com/...t-melania-trump.html

"Or maybe, just maybe, it was a message for those of us who like to read messages into her clothes. One that said, “I’m going to wear whatever I want and I don’t care what you think about it.” After all, she wore the jacket again deplaning later at Andrews — wore it unapologetically knowing all the hoo-ha it had caused, the confusion and umbrage, the distraction from what she said was her core message of compassion. Wore it as if to give direct proof to the words on her back. That would be kind of meta."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
trail wrote:
DJRed wrote:

How about this one. A smart person in her position doesn't wear something that is going to lead to nothing but tribe filtered speculation about it's meaning. A smart person in her position who has something to say comes out and says it.

She can only come out of this worse off than she started.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
DJRed wrote:
trail wrote:
DJRed wrote:

How about this one. A smart person in her position doesn't wear something that is going to lead to nothing but tribe filtered speculation about it's meaning. A smart person in her position who has something to say comes out and says it.

She can only come out of this worse off than she started.

You are correct, sir.

If she had something to say, she should say it.

If she had nothing to say and this was an unfortunate wardrobe choice, she needs to do better.

At a minimum, she should have people around her who know better.

But, you are also correct, we should all do better than tribe filtered speculation.
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's an idea for her next coat. Maybe it'll be less controversial.

Quote Reply

Prev Next