Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Kevin McHale thing
Quote | Reply
He went to a Trump rally and some people are losing their minds over it.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/...-donald-trump-rally/
Quote Reply
Re: The Kevin McHale thing [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is having rallies when there is no election pending a normal thing?

Also, anyone with their panties in a bunch about this needs to grow up.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another take:
https://deadspin.com/...-of-being-1827018034

Oh look, the fun Boston-is-full-of-racists take, that never gets old!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think McHale grew up in Hibbing - conservative blue collar northern Minnesota town so no surprise there. If people are losing their minds it should be about his coaching record with the Timberwolves.
Last edited by: axlsix3: Jun 21, 18 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this gets a big SFW from me... so fucken what
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't lose your mind over people losing their minds.

Some righties lost their minds over Popovich and Kerr too.

It's the world we live in.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kevin McHale thing [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

We pay for Trump's travel so he can fundraise millions so Republicans can run on lies. Then we pay for his golf. * *Took a Trump tweet and replaced Obama/Dems with Trump/Repubs.
Quote Reply
Re: The Kevin McHale thing [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

You think Pop and Kerr sharing their political views through the press in their role as coach is the same as a person attending an event?
Quote Reply
Re: The Kevin McHale thing [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

agreed.. I always say stick to coaching when I hear them :) and that's it. I still wished for GS to win the championships damnit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
trail wrote:

You think Pop and Kerr sharing their political views through the press in their role as coach is the same as a person attending an event?

How did they do that in their role as a coach? Were they shouting their political views at players on the court or during practice?

Why do you have a problem with celebrities having and sharing their political views, when you seem to have no such reservations about sharing your views here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
trail wrote:

No they're different in some ways. But similar in some. Celebrity has its benefits. And it has its drawbacks. One of the drawbacks is that you can never again have an expectation of privacy while in public.

You're right "some" people lost their minds. There are a lot of people out there. And almost all of them now have access to the incredible megaphone that is the Internet.

"Look, "some people" are doing this outrageous thing on the Internet and now I'm outraged about the outrageous thing" has to get tiresome at times....whether Hillary's pantsuits or McHale going to rally for idolatory of an obese septuagenarian and chanting of "Animals! Animals!"
Quote Reply
Re: The Kevin McHale thing [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
trail wrote:

How did they do that in their role as a coach? Were they shouting their political views at players on the court or during practice?

Why do you have a problem with celebrities having and sharing their political views, when you seem to have no such reservations about sharing your views here?

I don’t share my political views with my patients at work. They don’t want to hear what I think about politics and it’s not my right to abuse my position and make them listen to me. Likewise, I don’t want to hear actors at awards shows or coaches at press conferences talk about politics. That’s not what they’re there to do. If they want to do it on their own time that is completely different and obviously fine by me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
trail wrote:

I don’t share my political views with my patients at work. They don’t want to hear what I think about politics and it’s not my right to abuse my position and make them listen to me. Likewise, I don’t want to hear actors at awards shows or coaches at press conferences talk about politics. That’s not what they’re there to do. If they want to do it on their own time that is completely different and obviously fine by me.

This is so obvious its surprising it has to be explained to so many people. I don't buy a ticket to see Pearl Jam in concert to hear a political rant by Eddie Vedder. Yes, shut up and sing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Also, anyone with their panties in a bunch about this needs to grow up.

FWIW:

William Murphy, Professor of American History, specializing in political history
Answered Mar 21, 2017

All presidents will, from time to time, make public appearances and give speeches in front of crowds, but these are usually fairly small events and are usually focused around drumming up public support for a specific policy or action. They are not usually large-scale rallies of the sort you see during campaigns.
So in planning large rallies, calling them campaign rallies (the Trump administration has actually said these rallies are part of the 2020 campaign) and approaching them as kind of cheerleading session for the President the Trump administration is behaving outside the norm.
But it would be perfectly normal if, for example, Trump planned to travel the country giving speeches urging people to support, say, the Republican healthcare bill.
And the line between doing that and what he's actually doing isn't that large. Presidents do make public appearances and give speeches in front of crowds, but the way Trump has been both planning and describing these appearances is unusual, and he doesn't seem to be using them to persuade people to support him or his policies, so much as he's trying to just be in front of crowds that already support him in whatever he wants to do.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
trail wrote:

Which goes back to my question, did they do this at work? And what does "work" mean to a public figure? When are the on the clock, and when are they not?

I imagine you can recognize that, for a public figure, when work begins and ends can be somewhat nebulous. So is it appropriate to apply your "I don't want to hear you talk about it" standard whenever they're in public?
Quote Reply
Re: The Kevin McHale thing [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So it's abnormal but not super abnormal.

What seems abnormal is that it seems that Trump just loves having people cheer for him for no particular reason.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

What seems abnormal is that it seems that Trump just loves having people cheer for him for no particular reason.

Well, there is this take (it is an Op-Ed piece, but, it has merit):

Facing resistance from both Republicans and Democrats as well as condemnation from citizens all over the United States, President Trump felt a need to be loved again, so he did what he always does when he needs love — he left his house and did a campaign rally.

https://www.yahoo.com/...rally-130345147.html

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: The Kevin McHale thing [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Well, there is this take (it is an Op-Ed piece, but, it has merit):

Facing resistance from both Republicans and Democrats as well as condemnation from citizens all over the United States, President Trump felt a need to be loved again, so he did what he always does when he needs love — he left his house and did a campaign rally.

https://www.yahoo.com/...rally-130345147.html

But it was all the Dems fault!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lack of tolerance from the left is unbelievable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I learned one thing from that story. Very compelling. Had no idea. Need to brush up on my facts apparently.

Lynn McHale @lynnmchale
Many of these "families" who are separated at the border are actually child sex-traffickers w/kids. The best thing for these kids is separation. #GetTheFacts
9:56 PM - Jun 18, 2018
124 people are talking about this
Quote Reply
Re: The Kevin McHale thing [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
trail wrote:

Which goes back to my question, did they do this at work? And what does "work" mean to a public figure? When are the on the clock, and when are they not?

I imagine you can recognize that, for a public figure, when work begins and ends can be somewhat nebulous. So is it appropriate to apply your "I don't want to hear you talk about it" standard whenever they're in public?

I already covered that with specific examples. Awards show - work. Press conference after game - work. As would be the red carpet or after practice interview. Slowtwitch— not work. Out at dinner — not work. Host a fundraiser — not work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:

I already covered that with specific examples. Awards show - work. Press conference after game - work. As would be the red carpet or after practice interview. Slowtwitch— not work. Out at dinner — not work. Host a fundraiser — not work.

If Trump is at a privately funded political rally is that "work" or "not work?" :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dunno if Charles Barkley actually said this, but I'm giving him credit "Danny Ainge looks like that kid on The Partridge Family, Larry Bird's little feet look like they got caught in a pencil sharpener and Kevin McHale should have bolts in his neck"

That's all I got on Kevin McHale

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Kevin McHale thing [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was one of my favorite players back then when I used to follow basketball, his epic clothesline takedown of Kurt Rambis in the '84 Finals changed to tone/momentum of the entire series on the way to a championship. Had that happened today would have likely been a huge suspension/fine involved but back then just two free throws.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: The Kevin McHale thing [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
He was one of my favorite players back then when I used to follow basketball, his epic clothesline takedown of Kurt Rambis in the '84 Finals changed to tone/momentum of the entire series on the way to a championship. Had that happened today would have likely been a huge suspension/fine involved but back then just two free throws.

I've met McHale. He's a good guy to have a beer and bs with - and he has hilarious stories. His wife, whom I've never met, is something else based on her online presence.
Quote Reply