Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BJJ summer/lightweight gi recommendation
Quote | Reply
Once again wishing that Duffy and Vitus were still in the mix here, they gave me a good recommendation to 93 brand gis a while back. But I know that a few others here roll as well (paging lunchbox) so hoping to tap the LR brain trust again.

Looking for a lightweight but still durable gi to use during summer. May be a futile effort because I sweat like a whore in church at all times of the year, but it's getting particularly gross as the summer heat arrives.
Quote Reply
Re: BJJ summer/lightweight gi recommendation [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
93 brand is good and cheap. Hyperfly makes really nice light kimonos. I just use the same gis that I use all the rest of the time or do more no gi.
Quote Reply
Re: BJJ summer/lightweight gi recommendation [Jim_Richalds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THanks - I'll check out hyperfly. Another BJJ question - did you start rolling gi and no-gi at the same time, or did you do one first and then come to the other later? I've only trained with a gi, been doing it for about a year, interested in checking out no-gi classes but I'm not sure how much of the gi stuff translates, whether I should go to a stone cold beginner no-gi class or assume that I get a little bump from having done gi work for at least a little while.
Quote Reply
Re: BJJ summer/lightweight gi recommendation [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up wrestling and striking so my experience may be a little different. Do both. Gi will make you better defensively because it is harder to escape from shitty positions. No gi will make your offense better because you will need better technique to finish submissions (generally speaking). I enjoy both, but train 2/3 no gi to 1/3 gi.

I suggest making your game based off of no gi primarily and adding in specific gi techniques/skills. You'll be fine in either class. Leg locks are a big (huge) part of no gi, so make sure you are training them as well.
Quote Reply
Re: BJJ summer/lightweight gi recommendation [Jim_Richalds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very helpful - thanks.
Quote Reply