Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
November 28/29th- I have a feeling this is going to kill the participants from the USA considering it is right after Thanksgiving.

Even better for me! Not only is the 28th my birthday; but also I'm in Canada, where we get our Thanksgiving over with in October! My wife just had a good friend move to NZ so it will be an easy sell to head down for this one :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks great! I hope I can qualify and take the family along

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

It is going to be held the last weekend of November, 2020.

We have a rather famous (in NZ) bike race which is usually held that weekend, Cycle Challenge has agreed to move their dates 1 week, to the beginning of December. So 1 week apart which would make it worthwhile staying in TaupÅ an extra week. The race does 1 full lap around Lake TaupÅ.

There will not be a 70.3 in December.

The course has not been announced, however, it will not be the usual 70.3 'Broadlands' course. I'm not at liberty to say where it'll be but it is more 'sporting' than the usual course (on the bike).

It is very exciting for TaupÅ.

SB.

Sounds very cool. The other thing is having WC 70.3 after Kona how does that change the dynamic. I don't know.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Congrats! Do you know if the qualifying window will be extended two months to account for the later WC date? If they hold to 6 wks lead time then qualifying would extend into early Oct 2020.

We haven't been told yet, and as everyone is up in Kona at the mo won't find out until they're back here in TaupÅ in a couple weeks.

The town is absolutely buzzing about it. The volunteers really get behind IMNZ, that's what makes it so special, there are people already on social media groups here trying to volunteer for all manner of things, to be in the medical tent, aid stations etc. The town is PUMPED about it.

SB.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
salmonsteve wrote:
SB.

Sounds very cool. The other thing is having WC 70.3 after Kona how does that change the dynamic. I don't know.

The first five years the WC was in Clearwater it was around ~10 Nov. This will extend the season for some athletes but give a couple more weeks for pros to recover from Kona and sharpen for the 70.3. And with the new pro qualifying system, some may now go to IMAZ or IMCOZ and try to secure a spot while the big boys and girls are in Taupo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
November 28/29th- I have a feeling this is going to kill the participants from the USA considering it is right after Thanksgiving.

Or it's perfect timing as we already have 4 days off, don't need as many vacation days (that is, those of us that prefer family-less holidays LOL)
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
len wrote:
salmonsteve wrote:
SB.

The first five years the WC was in Clearwater it was around ~10 Nov. This will extend the season for some athletes but give a couple more weeks for pros to recover from Kona and sharpen for the 70.3. And with the new pro qualifying system, some may now go to IMAZ or IMCOZ and try to secure a spot while the big boys and girls are in Taupo.

We had planned on going to Nice next year anyway, so hoping to tack on a week in Portugal (Cascais 70.3 28th Sept 2019) now to get qualification early for 2020, that way can be focussed on our own athletes in Taupo 2019 rather than worrying about qualification.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:

good news for some of us, who don't mind skipping Thanksgiving one year to race in Taupo ;-)
might make the qualifier a bit easier. That's my first year in 60-64, hmm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reserve my room in the bunkhouse for that race.

See you guys then & hopefully before!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Congrats! Do you know if the qualifying window will be extended two months to account for the later WC date? If they hold to 6 wks lead time then qualifying would extend into early Oct 2020.

We haven't been told yet, and as everyone is up in Kona at the mo won't find out until they're back here in TaupÅ in a couple weeks.

Any more news on when the qualifying period will be? Looking at the 2019 races on the website, Dun Laoghaire (August 25th) says it's offering qualifying slots to Nice but Zell am See (September 1) just says "slots to the IM 70.3 World Championship". Do we think that's likely to be the cutoff point between Nice and TaupÅ? Or am I just missing some important part of the qualifying process (entirely possible)?
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general, I understood the cutoff for the WC of that year is around the end of June. 70.3 Canada already lists 2020 slots, so I'm surprised Dun Laoghaire is for Nice. Probably because it's an EU based race

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:
salmonsteve wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Any more news on when the qualifying period will be? Looking at the 2019 races on the website, Dun Laoghaire (August 25th) says it's offering qualifying slots to Nice but Zell am See (September 1) just says "slots to the IM 70.3 World Championship". Do we think that's likely to be the cutoff point between Nice and TaupÅ? Or am I just missing some important part of the qualifying process (entirely possible)?

The fact that Nice is in September limits the cut-off between those two... Perhaps some Europeans races closer to nice may offer later than the usual late June/early July cut-off but I doubt much races will go beyond the usual.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/url]Just received an email from Ironman teasing a "special announcement #FastTrackToTaupÅ #815"
Any idea what this is...? Number of slots in the local races?

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 World Champs 2020 - Sneak Peek [Kampinou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kampinou wrote:
[/url]Just received an email from Ironman teasing a "special announcement #FastTrackToTaupÅ #815"
Any idea what this is...? Number of slots in the local races?

My suggestion is that's $815 to buy your way onto the startline....
Quote Reply

Prev Next