Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is basically asking if your next tri bike will have disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but that's not what he asked. he asked if I would avoid the brand if they don't offer disc brakes. That's a very different question.

for example, Cervelo offers a disc-brake equipped triathlon bike, but it is out of my price range, so I would still consider a P2 / P3 / P5 even though those are rim-brake bikes.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
He is basically asking if your next tri bike will have disc brakes.

I agree.

I mean if you are going to buy a rim brake tri-bike.. why avoid a TT bike maker because they dont have a disc-brake TT bike in their future line up? imaright

The only reason I can think off the top of my head is one might believe the mfg is going to go bankrupt in short time by not making a disc TT bike.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Jun 21, 18 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there are two distinct camps of bike-shopping triathletes: 1) those for whom this will be their only bike, or the bike that they do the vast majority of their riding on, and 2) those who do most/all of their outdoor riding (at least in the offseason) on a road bike.

I'm in the latter camp. I have a road bike with DA Di2 and disc brakes that is a dream to ride, and perfect for all the hilly riding around here. I love riding that bike outdoors. My tri bike is a Cervelo P4. That bike is an absolute missile and I can't imagine there are very many current bikes that are faster than that bike, even though it's DA 10sp and rim brakes. That said, the P4 flat-out sucks for the big climbs around here, and sucks even worse on the descents. I would never dream of having the P4 as an only bike with all the hills around here.

So I guess you can put me in the camp of the not super-interested in a tri bike with disc brakes (though I wouldn't *not* buy one because of it) but I sure as hell wouldn't ride a road bike without them again. If I was looking to consolidate down to a single bike for training and racing then yes, I would want disc brakes on my tri bike.
Last edited by: el gato: Jun 21, 18 11:34
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
RBR wrote:
Why would I want a disc brake?

Because all the cool kids have it?

Seriously though, questions like this were asked back in the day: "Why would I want 9/10/11 speed when 8 is perfectly good?" or "Why would I need a Tri Spoke when a laced 36 box rim does the same job?" or "Why would I want a full sleeve wetsuit when wetsuit pants work perfectly fine?"
Great non-answer!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Tri Bike brands you would or may avoid if they do NOT have or move towards disc brakes?

Would anyone DQ a brand in the near future as more brands & wheel compaines move to a disc brake tri frame?

Example, I called Canyon & they said they have no plans in the next year or two to move away from rim brakes. Not that I plan on buying one any time soon, but WOULD this cause YOU to not buy a brand with the new disc trend?

This could be a poll on the right if it hasn't been yet.

It depends. If the choice is between disc brakes and an awful TT scissor brake that squeals and barely works - I'd *definitely* only buy the disc bike. However, if it's between disc brakes and a direct-mount Shimano caliper rim brake, I'd take the latter. They work great and are easier to travel with (don't have to remove rotors, use bleed blocks in the calipers, etc). So, for example, I'd be 100% good with a Quintana Roo PRthree or PRfive, with Shimano rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
RBR wrote:

Seriously though, questions like this were asked back in the day: "Why would I want 9/10/11 speed when 8 is perfectly good?" or "Why would I need a Tri Spoke when a laced 36 box rim does the same job?" or "Why would I want a full sleeve wetsuit when wetsuit pants work perfectly fine?"

I still haven't figured out why I want more than 9 gears on the back, and don't own a wetsuit. I do have trispokes with latex tubes though!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol I’m the opposite. I’m DQing a brand if they don’t have good run brake offerings. Zero interest in disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [futurerunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
futurerunner wrote:
Simo429 wrote:
Can someone tell me the benefit they have please

I'm 6' - race at 210lbs (230+ in off season). I have a road and tri bike both rim brakes. Tried a few different rim brakes (uncle works at bike shop, allowed me to experiment with stock and alternates) Rim brakes just don't work for me, especially if they get a little wet. Barely slow me down, definitly do not stop in emergency situations. Disc on my MTB slows and stops me in all conditions. The difference is night and day. If you are a lighter rider it may not make a difference, but for a bigger rider like me the difference is massive. Will upgrade to disc with next Tri bike.

Just to provide some extra context, I had a similar experience as a much smaller (height and weight) rider on bikes with both Shimano and SRAM rim brakes... They just don't stop as quickly as my bike with disc brakes. Obviously, nobody is telling the whole story if they don't mention that disc brakes are heavier and less aero (as the above poster noted) but if I need to stop suddenly, I'd definitely prefer to be doing it with disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
RBR wrote:

The problem with your logic is that you’re acting like disc brakes are superior to rim brakes in the tri setting. Which one is superior would purely be your (and my) opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Tri Bike brands you would or may avoid if they do NOT have or move towards disc brakes?

Would anyone DQ a brand in the near future as more brands & wheel compaines move to a disc brake tri frame?

Example, I called Canyon & they said they have no plans in the next year or two to move away from rim brakes. Not that I plan on buying one any time soon, but WOULD this cause YOU to not buy a brand with the new disc trend?

This could be a poll on the right if it hasn't been yet.

Or another poll for brands you will avoid if there is no rim brake option ?

I think for a lot of people the extra cost could be better used elsewhere
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you watched any ITU races lately? I'm guessing less than 1/3 of the competitors run disc brakes on their road bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [Rocking Rob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what? They will all convert to disc in the next 2-3 years.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [futurerunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
futurerunner wrote:
Simo429 wrote:
Can someone tell me the benefit they have please

I'm 6' - race at 210lbs (230+ in off season). I have a road and tri bike both rim brakes. Tried a few different rim brakes (uncle works at bike shop, allowed me to experiment with stock and alternates) Rim brakes just don't work for me, especially if they get a little wet. Barely slow me down, definitly do not stop in emergency situations. Disc on my MTB slows and stops me in all conditions. The difference is night and day. If you are a lighter rider it may not make a difference, but for a bigger rider like me the difference is massive. Will upgrade to disc with next Tri bike.

MTB brakes can be great. No question. But bring the average speed up and shrink those rotors down to 140/160mm and suddenly they don't have anywhere near the same stopping power. I'm really trying to love my gravel bike with Shimano Hydraulic disc brakes, but I am repeatedly underwhelemed by their stopping power and can't even say it's better than my Ultegra rim brakes and carbon clnchers.

I have no doubt that disc brakes have a relevant future in gravel/cross/mountain riding, but let's be honest that in triathon (and road riding), we are getting pushed into something that provides little benefit to the majority of users and new maintenance headaches to deal with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I bought a Canyon.
No need for a disk brake. Even more of a pain than the hidden brake.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d like to see someone make a disc brake tri bike with clearance for large tires for training while having a minimal aero penalty with race wheels/tires vs a pier rim brake bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
So what? They will all convert to disc in the next 2-3 years.

as much as I personally despise that.... I see it happening too.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
EndlessH2O wrote:
RBR wrote:

The problem with your logic is that you’re acting like disc brakes are superior to rim brakes in the tri setting. Which one is superior would purely be your (and my) opinion.

Nope no logic at all. But you did prove my point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even understand this question. Why would I care? Why would anyone care?
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or everyone could just quit whining, buy a new disc brake bike when it’s time for one, and ride your bike.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Or everyone could just quit whining, buy a new disc brake bike when it’s time for one, and ride your bike.

that's not what ppl are whining about... sooner or later the top aero TT bike will be disc only, maybe one day the top groupset will be disc only... you get the idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what you mean. All of your examples were of using inferior equipment when superior equipment is available. Disc brakes aren’t superior to rim brakes in everyone’s opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing as my race wheels are not disc, and I'm chea... errrrr, frugal... not going disc is a bonus and a reason to support a company for me.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I can lock up both wheels and skid with rim brakes...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't used my rear brake in two seasons. Barely need a front one...
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike brands you may avoid if they do not... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There have been several good points here, such as reversing the question, would you DQ a bike if they only offered rim brakes? If you were to look at buying a new bike, the way it looks nobody knows what the wheel/frame companies will do for sure, we have our theories but it will one of three choices. Offer rim, disc, or both. Possibly components like SRAM or Shimano may only offer one or the other, but I don't see that--too many old bikes out there & there is value in offering components for all those bikes. Disc frames & wheels seem to be pricey right now, but let's have a pretend scenario...

You are going to buy a bike, you don't know the future of the market (for sure). You THINK/hypothesize that the rim frames & wheels will eventually all disappear while you're still going to be owning/riding/racing your new bike. Would you DQ a company that says they won't be making disc brakes, based off your fears you'll be cornered with a bike that you may have eventually have trouble in a resale, or getting replacement components/wheels for rims?

I seriously don't see this ever happening, though the frames, wheels, components may market that to be the *future* and scare you into an "OMG, I best upgrade or all my stuff will just be old & hard to find--even if it does work." Honestly, I suppose a better question would be how will the marketing affect your choice? Cave to the hype?

Rim bikes may actually become MORE valuable in a re-sale situation, if things are harder to come buy. Rare & old may be worth something to a lot of people. Look at the Hooker Elite bikes, or Cheetah bikes--collectors for sure. But for daily use...like 6/7/8/9/10 speed wheels, I'd likely steer clear of a brand that doesn't upgrade (if you call it that) to the most recent technology, if I think it will be hard to get parts/components. Who would go buy a new wheel that is a 6 speed hub & that's all they offered, if the industry were moving to 7/8 speed as in the past?

Lots of "if's" here--curiosity on the general tri public's psyche of a purchase & how the influence of marketing and rumor affects it, regarding where this industry may or or not may be heading. Trying to see who would sway away from a company that says they're not "going there" --such as SRAM said when there was no reason to go electronic, then came out with eTap. How many bought Shimano instead thinking SRAM was just missing the future of where industry heads? I will say, SRAM has done a good job of turning it around quickly.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Jul 2, 18 21:08
Quote Reply

Prev Next