Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Mtbdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These polls are getting worse and worse. #pollboycott
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Mtbdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't even run any more, and I have more than one pair of running shoes...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only one pair. I run with a Stryd and am too lazy to switch it between different pairs. Not kidding!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
me, adidas ultra boost lasted 3 full years of training and 3 ironmans.

Got a new pair this year, will repeat.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
I have only one pair. I run with a Stryd and am too lazy to switch it between different pairs. Not kidding!

#dirtysecrets
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One pair here. Go about 350-500 miles, then switch

I do intend on getting a racing pair though and cycle with my training pair

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do. Iā€™m a poor ex-pro that just starting my first career/job that isnā€™t bike related. I would love to have multiple pairs of shoes but I donā€™t run that much yet so I make due with 1 good pair. I would also really like a CycleOps Hammer but I donā€™t think thatā€™s the correct thread for that one ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got 2 pair of adidas Ultra Boost, they won't die. Had to pretty much replace the laces as they are the only thing that wore out after a couple years. One of the most durable soles out there.

Just had a pair of HOKA Bondi 5's lose the tread (it peeled off & I've only got like a dozen runs in them). Didn't like them anyhow after those runs so they have been walking /street shoes for the last year. The right inside heel tread wasn't worn much at all just walking around, the back half of the "triangle" tread piece literally looks like it tore off.

Lately, I've gone back to Nike Pegasus (for faster runs) and Vomero for slog / slower longer runs. So far so good.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40 years ago the magazines were advocating 2 pairs.

Alternate them each day to help them ā€˜recoverā€™

Is this not true?

Even if it might or might not be true I donā€™t think it costs more to have two pair and make the two last twice as long as 1 pair
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one pair of running shoes and one pair of cycling shoes. Am I missing out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I came from a running background before doing tris and had a pretty good deal with the owner of the local running store back then (he started doing tris around the same time I did and we occasionally trained/raced together) where I would buy 3-4 pairs at a time and he'd give me a discount. Tri days are over and I mainly ride now, but I keep one good pair of running shoes for the few times that I do occasionally get out the door for a run. I still have about a half dozen old beat up pairs that I use for yard work, wearing around as regular sneakers etc. They are in various closets around the house or in the basement and are comfortable old friends (my wife says otherwise and wants to throw them out). I honestly can't remember the last time I bought a pair of actual sneakers.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mtbdave wrote:
I mean come on! 1 pair? Really....?

Why would I need a second pair? I run in them until replacement time and get my next pair. I understand some like to collect running shoes. I am oriented functionally - I need one pair to run in so that is what I have. I only run in these and have other shoes for leisure.
John
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Mtbdave wrote:
I mean come on! 1 pair? Really....?

Why would I need a second pair? I run in them until replacement time and get my next pair. I understand some like to collect running shoes. I am oriented functionally - I need one pair to run in so that is what I have. I only run in these and have other shoes for leisure.
John

The crux of this poll revolves around whether you are the sort of person who keeps things until they absolutely fall apart, literally, or whether you throw things away when you don't think they work well enough. Being in the first category, i have somewhere around 30 pairs of running shoes in my bedroom (BR). If my former GF had not talked me into letting her give away and/or sell another 50 or so pair of shoes, i'd have at least 80 pairs in my BR, accumulated over the past 33 yrs of running. I wear my old shoes for yard work, running errands, etc. Also, i don't even run that much, average of about 20 mi/wk over last 33 yrs; a real runner who saved all his shoes could have over 200 pairs after 33 yrs of running. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One pair is just not possible. If for no reason than because shoes change so often when I find one that works I stock up 3-4 pairs right away. Besides that, I also have two training shoes in rotation, one at work, a pair of near mint Clifton 1, one all-black that can pass as a dress shoe, and the Chrissie Wellington special edition Brooks shoes from that one year they sponsored her and she didn't start in Kona due to flu I think? There were a lot of unhappy people at Brooks that October.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only have one pair, or maybe 2.
Each off season nov/dec i go to the store and get fitted for a new pair as i feel like the old ones are worn out. I do not run more than 1k km/year so that equates nicely to around 1 pair.
But this topic got me interested! Because if there is a benefit in having more than 1 pair when it comes to injury, i'm very intrigued! Is there a benefit in rotating 2-3 pairs? Or does it depend on the runner? I'm injury prone and do all my running in a pair of well cushining, lots of support shoes (previously brooks adrenaline gts 17 narrow, which i would sell off my GF to get 2-3 pairs of!). Now in a saucony which is okay but not as good as the brooks was.

Should the rotation shoes be:
a) Different models?
b) Same shoes but with different tear and wear?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During my first two years in triathlon I only had one pair of shoes at a time. The for the next couple years I had two. It wasn't until I got into trail running that my shoe collection grew.

Now it's more like:
Long run/every day shoes
Lighter shoes for when I want to feel fast
Triathlon racing shoes (sockless)
Every day trail shoes
Trail racing shoes
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

Every day trail shoes
Trail racing shoes

and that is just 2 pairs? Impressive. I probably have around 6-7 trail pairs with different soles (hard ground, mud, sticky rubber for rocky stuff, ...) and that is not even counting the Salomon X-Alp Carbons when I get to terrain where I might have to throw on crampons.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loathe when they make changes to the shoes I come to love. Altra has not been too bad, but some of their shoes do not have a lot of longevity. Last thing I want to do before a trip is to be tracking down another pair of running shoes if a pair is worn or I need two, so I tend to scope out clearance deals as often they will also sell out of my size. I will wear them for running till they run no more then wash and donate. Rotating shoes has also helped tho I believe runnning trails helps more to stay injury free, more stabilizing muscles get worked etc. Then there is the training to do marathon, try a new model, like the model so get a fresh pair shortly before the race so I'm not running on worn out cushion the day that I will feel it most. They do begin to add up...

I've learned it is not such a great idea to use worn out running shoes for walking. Different wear pattern can create issues if you do a lot of walking. So I tend to have a separate pair I never run in, that I use for walking, especially when travelling.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
... a pair of near mint Clifton 1, ...

Tony Clifton himself, always advocated having two pair

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakob1989 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Every day trail shoes
Trail racing shoes

and that is just 2 pairs? Impressive. I probably have around 6-7 trail pairs with different soles (hard ground, mud, sticky rubber for rocky stuff, ...) and that is not even counting the Salomon X-Alp Carbons when I get to terrain where I might have to throw on crampons.

I really didn't want to sound too excessive :)
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only 3 pairs that I actually use. 2 othem trail running shoes, the other a road running shoe. And 1 Pair that I retired, but I couldn't stand to throw away since I used them in the military. Never heard of rotating shoes prevent injury, interesting article.
Last edited by: Mtbdave: Jun 21, 18 6:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have 1 pair of shoes for training and 1 pair for races. So, technically not just 1 pair, but I don't have multiple pairs that I rotate through for training, or different shoes for trail running etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is the 3% that only owns 1 pair of running shoes [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one pair for road running and one pair for trail running. Provided you take care of them there is no need for more.

I use the old ones for yard work and running errands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a run coach who wore just one shoe the adidas Marathon. He used to say ā€œThe shoe finally feels broken in after 2,000 milesā€

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be me!

I find a pair I like and I rock them for 250miles and replace them - I have been on the same model (Hoka Hupana) for 2 seasons now.... use them for speed, distance, trail, hiking... whatever!
Quote Reply

Prev Next