Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
ToBeasy wrote:
desert dude wrote:
[quote]I can't imagine why Duathlon is not more popular.[/quote]

Bc a duathlon is way fucking harder than a triathlon for the same duration. A 10k/40k/5k du will destroy you as much as a 70.3 race and require the same amount of recovery time even though it's half the duration

Most triathletes don't like to run that much either and god forbid you've got to run an all out 10k then then turn around and run a hard 5k after biking. Most triathletes don't possess the fortitude to race that

It's harder to bike after that first run than it is to bike after swimming

running off the bike in a triathlon is very, very easy compared to running off the bike after running before the bike

it's hard to be social in a duathlon bc everyone is really freaking gassed on that last run. At Victoria 70.3 you'd have though 45% of the people I lapped on the run were out for a Sunday social run chatting with their friends.

Yeah, it is fricking hard. But isn't that the point about it? I'm not a history guy but wasn't the first idea of Triathlon to see who is the toughest? (Swimmers, runners or cyclists).

We have a Duathlon series in Switzerland and I think a lot of athletes either have a running or cycling background. The fields are not huge but with decent quality. I've run the first 5k of a sprint Du in sub 16 and was only in the chase pack. But what the sport lacks is depth.

A lot of people run and a lot of people ride. In Europe cycling is a big sport. Cycling and running belong to the most purest of endurance sports and are easily acessible. I find it beutiful to fuse them together.

I can understand that swimming completes the picture. But with so many people struggling and neglecting it why not do some duathlons every once in a while?

It may have originally been the point, but it no longer is. The goal for most now is the fastest time on the easiest course they can find. At least in the US. Hard courses are getting few and far between.

Yes, and I find that very questionalbe. With all the drafting and stuff courses should only get more challenging.

In that series there was also quite a bit of variety regarding the formats.

Apart from the traditional run-bike-run, usually as a sprint we have (had) the following races:

- A 26 km TT in the morning followed by a 7km run in the afternoon. The run was started in the order of the TT result and with handicap time. Like a pursuit in XC skiing or Biathlon.

- Intervallduathlon run-bike-run-bike-run

- A hilly run followed by a climb on the bike with a mountaintop finish. No second run.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:
Midtown Miles wrote:
TBV Runner wrote:
This may hint at some of the issues: http://www.townoflyons.com/...tem/2878?fileID=6916

WOW

Interesting. I know they did one near me a few years ago, and everybody I know that did it, said they would never do it again. Bad choices on the run/bike courses, they way the swim was handled, etc.. Also they scheduled it for the following year, then canceled it around 6months out from the event. I would say it is a company I will stay away from for racing.

Their website seems to list quite a few interesting races. I have friends who have raced some of them and had good things to say. But this Powerman series seems like a mistake for 3-D. They are extending outside of Michigan, and leaning on local govt to do the work for them. If they stick to high-quality Michigan races they will be fine. But running an event in Hawaii, FL, AZ, etc? Bad idea. When an out-of-towner comes in and runs a race, I tend to not trust them.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They purchased and ran a race close to Tucson, AZ this year. The communication and marketing for the race was very poor but the race execution was great. I would do one of their races again. They really didn't start sending things out until 7-10 days before the race and it was filled with typos. The race was poorly attended. I was surprised they drove all the way from Michigan with all their own race stuff for maybe 80 participants? Maybe if the town is paying a lot, they don't need a well attended race?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But running an event in Hawaii, FL, AZ, etc? Bad idea. When an out-of-towner comes in and runs a race, I tend to not trust them.

What it seems you don't know is they used to run a lot of races in AZ. This was their winter home. At one point I think they had somewhere between 6-9 races between tri's and du's here in AZ years ago.

In fact some of their duathlons were among the most competitive in the country with numerous top ranked Ag groupers and some pros jumping in them

To label them out of towners is pretty naive as is saying races run by out of town people are bad ideas.

Many races (tri, running, bike races etc) are run by out of towners once you start peering behind the curtain.

3D's #1 issue with duathlon is their lack of advertising dollars they stick behind these events. If you're going to go big with duathlon you've got to probably stick an extra $5 per entry beyond what you'd do for triathlon into advertising for several years to get that event to grow compared to a triathlon. There are a few threads on this in relation to 3D if you want to go search the archives and get up to speed

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jun 27, 18 9:59
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Tyme, where are you located? Their regular tris in Michigan are generally good, some even very good. I have friends who won’t do 3D races anymore, but my experience has been solid enough. Not a brand I’d seek out, but more than happy to do one of their close races when time/ location work.

They did one in WV a couple years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree - one of their tris was actually my first, I've done it twice since, volunteered once, will probably do one of their races later this year. I'd say this was a case of trying to scale too far too fast, but they've been around for a while.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did PM Frankenmuth long course last year and found it to be extremely well run. It was nice to have the focus completely on us duathletes for a change! However, it was definitely a race with small participation, especially the long course.

I would absolutely do it again but this year they moved it to the spring, which isn't good for me training, with my tax season workload.

I agree that duathlon is harder on the body than triathlon, having done both. My legs are absolutely fresh when I get on the bike in a tri, compared to them being almost trashed in a du. Triathletes don't want to admit that though.

I was hoping to have PM Colorado be my fall goal race this year if I could get my training volume up, but I guess the decision has been made for me. Disappointing.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Midtown Miles wrote:
TBV Runner wrote:
This may hint at some of the issues: http://www.townoflyons.com/...tem/2878?fileID=6916

WOW

You're not kidding. If you're in this thread and haven't read this yet, it's worth the click.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
Midtown Miles wrote:
TBV Runner wrote:

WOW

You're not kidding. If you're in this thread and haven't read this yet, it's worth the click.

This explains everything.

...So...when and where are we going to host the Slowtwitch Multisport Championships? It sounds like the town of lyons is looking for a premier event to host.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [TBV Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TBV Runner wrote:
This may hint at some of the issues:
http://www.townoflyons.com/...tem/2878?fileID=6916

I was going to sign up a few days ago on the Powerman site for this race.

I talked to them at Du Nats and told them they cannot keep canceling races if they want a sustainable business model.

thanks for posting that.. yes, asking the town to fund the race doesn't seem like a sustainable business model either..

from the doc,
"Overall it is a tremendous amount of staff time, resources and financial outlay for approximately 100 participants. Total expenses overall could be between $35K and $50K for the Town of Lyons."

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which of the *5* or *6* --(or maybe I was the only one?) whatever who signed up for this race, have actually gotten a refund yet?
I have an email from June 20 from Dani Anticuar at 3 Disciplines, (and I quote)..."We will be writing checks out to each individual and putting those in the mail asap!"

I just dropped a message to them from their website, as it is almost Christmas & I have not received a refund yet...which then led me to wonder how many on this Forum may have signed up & already received a refund? Anyone?

Additionally, Herbert--are you doing a follow up with Chris Leigh, or Powerman, as to Alex's above questions?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I reached out to him a while back and he promised to get back but has not.
Lesson is, do not write about races that have not yet happened.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Powerman Colorado CANCELLED [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
I reached out to him a while back and he promised to get back but has not.
Lesson is, do not write about races that have not yet happened.
Thanks for the follow up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next