Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Finding God in the Waves", religious axioms
Quote | Reply
From a born again Christian to a militant angry Atheist, to a Stoic Atheist, to a Stoic Theist, to a who knows what next.

What a journey I have had. So I read this book by Mike McHargue. At this point I can agree with these axioms he laid out. If I was to move any further into a state of belief, it will not be through further investigation/study, I would need for God to touch my heart like so many claim he has done.

But for now, this is enough.

Faith is AT LEAST a way to contextualize the human need for spirituality and find meaning in the face of mortality. EVEN IF this is all faith is, spiritual practice can be beneficial to cognition, emotional states, and culture.

God is AT LEAST the natural forces that created and sustain the Universe as experienced via a psychosocial model in human brains that naturally emerges from innate biases. EVEN IF that is a comprehensive definition for God, the pursuit of this personal, subjective experience can provide meaning, peace, and empathy for others.

Prayer is AT LEAST a form of meditation that encourages the development of healthy brain tissue, lowers stress, and can connect us to God. EVEN IF that is a comprehensive definition of prayer, the health and psychological benefits of prayer justify the discipline.

Sin is AT LEAST volitional action or inaction that violates one's own understanding of what is moral. Sin comes from the divergent impulses between our lower and higher brain functions and our evolution-driven tendency to do things that serve ourselves and our tribe. EVEN IF this is all sin is, it is destructive and threatens human flourishing.

The afterlife is AT LEAST the persistence of our physical matter in the ongoing life cycle on Earth, the memes we pass on to others with our lives, and the model of our unique neurological signature in the brains of those who knew us. EVEN IF this is all the afterlife is, the consequences of our actions persist beyond our death and our ethical considerations must consider a timeline beyond our death.

Salvation is AT LEAST the means by which humanity overcomes sin to produce human flourishing. EVEN IF this is all salvation is, spiritual and religious actions and beliefs that promote salvation are good for humankind.

Jesus is AT LEAST a man so connected to God that he was called the Son of God and the largest religious movement in human history is centered around his teachings. EVEN IF this is all Jesus is, following his teachings can promote peace, empathy, and genuine morality.

The Holy Spirit is AT LEAST the psychological and neurological components of God that allow God to be experienced as a personal force or agent. EVEN IF this is all the Holy Spirit is, God is more relatable and neurologically actionable when experienced this way.

The Church is AT LEAST the global community of people who choose to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. EVEN IF this is all the church is, the Church is still the largest body of spiritual scholarship, community, and faith practice in the world.

The Bible is AT LEAST a collection of books and writings assembled by the Church that chronicle a people group's experiences with, and understanding of, God over thousands of years. EVEN IF that is a comprehensive definition of the Bible, study of scripture is warranted to understand our culture and the way in which people come to know God.
Quote Reply
Re: "Finding God in the Waves", religious axioms [TA3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't read his book yet, but listen to one of his podcasts, The Liturgists. It's interesting & compelling. You may want to check out some Peter Rollins's work. He's a philosopher/theologian. Some of the guests from the (De)Constructionists podcast might also be up your current alley. Joseph Campbell's work on the power of myth across religions may also help contribute to whatever comes next for you.

You mention "God" a lot in this post, and it's interesting to me that you use the capital G God over god. How do you currently define the concept of God?

TA3 wrote:
From a born again Christian to a militant angry Atheist, to a Stoic Atheist, to a Stoic Theist, to a who knows what next.

What a journey I have had. So I read this book by Mike McHargue. At this point I can agree with these axioms he laid out. If I was to move any further into a state of belief, it will not be through further investigation/study, I would need for God to touch my heart like so many claim he has done.

But for now, this is enough.

Faith is AT LEAST a way to contextualize the human need for spirituality and find meaning in the face of mortality. EVEN IF this is all faith is, spiritual practice can be beneficial to cognition, emotional states, and culture.

God is AT LEAST the natural forces that created and sustain the Universe as experienced via a psychosocial model in human brains that naturally emerges from innate biases. EVEN IF that is a comprehensive definition for God, the pursuit of this personal, subjective experience can provide meaning, peace, and empathy for others.

Prayer is AT LEAST a form of meditation that encourages the development of healthy brain tissue, lowers stress, and can connect us to God. EVEN IF that is a comprehensive definition of prayer, the health and psychological benefits of prayer justify the discipline.

Sin is AT LEAST volitional action or inaction that violates one's own understanding of what is moral. Sin comes from the divergent impulses between our lower and higher brain functions and our evolution-driven tendency to do things that serve ourselves and our tribe. EVEN IF this is all sin is, it is destructive and threatens human flourishing.

The afterlife is AT LEAST the persistence of our physical matter in the ongoing life cycle on Earth, the memes we pass on to others with our lives, and the model of our unique neurological signature in the brains of those who knew us. EVEN IF this is all the afterlife is, the consequences of our actions persist beyond our death and our ethical considerations must consider a timeline beyond our death.

Salvation is AT LEAST the means by which humanity overcomes sin to produce human flourishing. EVEN IF this is all salvation is, spiritual and religious actions and beliefs that promote salvation are good for humankind.

Jesus is AT LEAST a man so connected to God that he was called the Son of God and the largest religious movement in human history is centered around his teachings. EVEN IF this is all Jesus is, following his teachings can promote peace, empathy, and genuine morality.

The Holy Spirit is AT LEAST the psychological and neurological components of God that allow God to be experienced as a personal force or agent. EVEN IF this is all the Holy Spirit is, God is more relatable and neurologically actionable when experienced this way.

The Church is AT LEAST the global community of people who choose to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. EVEN IF this is all the church is, the Church is still the largest body of spiritual scholarship, community, and faith practice in the world.

The Bible is AT LEAST a collection of books and writings assembled by the Church that chronicle a people group's experiences with, and understanding of, God over thousands of years. EVEN IF that is a comprehensive definition of the Bible, study of scripture is warranted to understand our culture and the way in which people come to know God.
Quote Reply
Re: "Finding God in the Waves", religious axioms [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do I currently define the concept of god?

Great question. I don't know. And I feel like I could be 100% wrong about the whole thing. Which when I took the Atheistic position I was pretty damn sure I could not be wrong.

What I feel really concrete about is that at the level of our consciousness the universe appears to be ordered and rational, and our consciousness has given us a wonderful gift of "reason". This may be a quirk of physics, or a thoughtful design, but I take comfort in it for some odd reason. This is closest to the Stoic philosophers version of the "Logos".

To move to a caring, involved God like Christianity describes...

as I said in the OP, that would take more than intellectual discovery. That would require something else and I am not aware of what that is, or what it would look like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not think anything in our universe outside the "natural world" is ordered or rational
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you there. And the not knowing and not caring about whether or not it's defined is a good place to be.

My favorite Rainer Maria Rilke quote comes to mind a lot when the born again fundamentalists from my past push back on my form of agnostic spirituality, "Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."

TA3 wrote:
How do I currently define the concept of god?

Great question. I don't know. And I feel like I could be 100% wrong about the whole thing. Which when I took the Atheistic position I was pretty damn sure I could not be wrong.

What I feel really concrete about is that at the level of our consciousness the universe appears to be ordered and rational, and our consciousness has given us a wonderful gift of "reason". This may be a quirk of physics, or a thoughtful design, but I take comfort in it for some odd reason. This is closest to the Stoic philosophers version of the "Logos".

To move to a caring, involved God like Christianity describes...

as I said in the OP, that would take more than intellectual discovery. That would require something else and I am not aware of what that is, or what it would look like.
Quote Reply
Re: "Finding God in the Waves", religious axioms [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really, why not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was surprised to find I'm with you on most of these. A couple of disagreements, though:

I don't think I'd equate prayer with meditation. Some prayer may be similar to meditation, but not most of it.

I also don't agree with the Ghost, Church, and Bible parts. I think those extrapolate too far.

Interesting post, though.
Quote Reply
Re: "Finding God in the Waves", religious axioms [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
I was surprised to find I'm with you on most of these. A couple of disagreements, though:

I don't think I'd equate prayer with meditation. Some prayer may be similar to meditation, but not most of it.

I also don't agree with the Ghost, Church, and Bible parts. I think those extrapolate too far.

I thought those three points were quite conservative in the assertions. What is it that makes you think they extrapolate too far?
Quote Reply
Re: "Finding God in the Waves", religious axioms [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:

I saw this the other day: "Prayer is asking for something. Meditation is listening for something."

and Nassim Taleb: “meditation is a way to be narcissistic without hurting anyone”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So things "we" (not the natural world) control (or in view view do not); markets, politics, the environment, human rights none of which i think are dealt with in a considered or rational manner
Quote Reply
Re: "Finding God in the Waves", religious axioms [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree with that.

But they could be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TA3 wrote:
I thought those three points were quite conservative in the assertions. What is it that makes you think they extrapolate too far?

Quote:
"The Holy Spirit is AT LEAST the psychological and neurological components of God that allow God to be experienced as a personal force or agent. EVEN IF this is all the Holy Spirit is, God is more relatable and neurologically actionable when experienced this way."

The part that says "as a personal force or agent" seems to be an assumption. If you say god is the "natural forces that created and sustain the Universe as experienced via a psychosocial model in human brains that naturally emerges from innate biases," then I don't see how you can then say there is a way to experience those things as a personal agent - Unless I'm understanding personal force or agent incorrectly.

Quote:
"The Church is AT LEAST the global community of people who choose to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. EVEN IF this is all the church is, the Church is still the largest body of spiritual scholarship, community, and faith practice in the world."

I think Christians tend to follow their own interpretation of what they think of Jesus Christ's teachings, which is not necessarily what Jesus intended.

Quote:
"The Bible is AT LEAST a collection of books and writings assembled by the Church that chronicle a people group's experiences with, and understanding of, God over thousands of years. EVEN IF that is a comprehensive definition of the Bible, study of scripture is warranted to understand our culture and the way in which people come to know God."

I agree with all of this except for the last part, "to understand... the way in which people come to know God." Given that there are many ways to know God, especially given the earlier definition that God could be natural forces, then at best I think it could only be stated that it's a way people come to know God. Actually, that may not even be correct, since there is no argument put forth here that the Bible has any connection to God.
Last edited by: swimwithstones: Jun 20, 18 8:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well they could in a fantasy model but given we are inherently irrational its not very likely they will ever be controlled or dealt with rationally
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a very thought-provoking post. Thank you.

Along the lines of justifying faith, I think considering Pascal's Wager is a worthwhile endeavor.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: "Finding God in the Waves", religious axioms [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But in that wager does not god know your heart? I mean a lot of people live like a Christian should(try defining that), and you can go to church, say you are a christian to cover the wager, but doesnt god know if you are pretending??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:

Along the lines of justifying faith, I think considering Pascal's Wager is a worthwhile endeavor.

I think Pascal's Wager has a lot of holes in it, namely the false dichotomy it sets up.

1) The Christian god exists as we understand him, we understand how to worship him, we understand what to do to gain access to the eternal life he grants us, and we know the eternal life is a thing we truly want.

2) There's no god.

It leaves out all the other possibilities, such as God is actually completely different than the Christian god and he takes great offense at that kind of worship. Not to mention belief is not something you have control over. You can't will yourself to believe in a god if you don't, so you're basically at the whims of however skeptical God made you (or didn't).

But either way, just be a nice person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:

I think Pascal's Wager has a lot of holes in it, namely the false dichotomy it sets up.

1) The Christian god exists as we understand him, we understand how to worship him, we understand what to do to gain access to the eternal life he grants us, and we know the eternal life is a thing we truly want.

2) There's no god.

It leaves out all the other possibilities, such as God is actually completely different than the Christian god and he takes great offense at that kind of worship. Not to mention belief is not something you have control over. You can't will yourself to believe in a god if you don't, so you're basically at the whims of however skeptical God made you (or didn't).

But either way, just be a nice person.

Good points. Thanks.

I think you have to consider the context of Pascal living in 17th century, Christian Europe, where the dichotomy you describe was not immediately apparent to him.

One could capture the essence of the wager and generalize it to be something like:

One should believe in an afterlife, as espoused by a major religion (or not), and live their lives accordingly, because:

1) If the afterlife premise is false, the cost of living such a life is (very) small;

2) If the afterlife premise is true, the benefit of living such a life is (very) large.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
Good points. Thanks.

I think you have to consider the context of Pascal living in 17th century, Christian Europe, where the dichotomy you describe was not immediately apparent to him.

One could capture the essence of the wager and generalize it to be something like:

One should believe in an afterlife, as espoused by a major religion (or not), and live their lives accordingly, because:

1) If the afterlife premise is false, the cost of living such a life is (very) small;

2) If the afterlife premise is true, the benefit of living such a life is (very) large.

Definitely a product of his times. I remember once in my Confirmation class (I think I was maybe 10) I told the minister that I believed in God because you never know and it's better to be safe. He wasn't thrilled with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TA3 wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:

I'm an atheist, and I can agree with most of those statements with the exception of the ones per the afterlife. They appear not to limit themselves to what we can say for certain.
Quote Reply