Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swimming Hand Entry - Video [turneej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

To me it looks like his has hands enter closer to 12 rather than 11 and 1

Then in the last few seconds his right hand is shooting and actually goes in and then comes back to the surface

Anyone else see this?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Hand Entry - Video [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good visual, thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Hand Entry - Video [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

To me it looks like his has hands enter closer to 12 rather than 11 and 1

Then in the last few seconds his right hand is shooting and actually goes in and then comes back to the surface

Anyone else see this?

yes but the video is about making changes not illustrating someone who has perfect technique. The important thing is the guy is improving.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Jul 3, 18 6:02
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Hand Entry - Video [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
turneej wrote:
I get a lot of questions about where the hand should enter the water in swimming and while this is unique to each athlete there are a couple general rules and drill we can use to work on entering the water high and wide. In this video I break down general hand position and one of my favorite drills to learn proper position for the hand entry. Feel free to reply with any questions/comments/concerns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9iE672jMSw

Thanks for posting. I've done the drill a couple of times and it helped me with my maddening tendency to cross over my head. I have one concern though. I'm an average swimmer and I took some lessons to improve my stroke. I was told to have my hand enter the water earlier than you suggest. The advice was to extend my hand through the water, not over it. The purported benefit is that having an arm extended in the water helps with balance (lifting my legs that tend to sink). Also, while moving my hand through the water means more resistance for my arm than if it were moving through the air, it lowers resistance for my head and the rest of my body. My arm in the water essentially creates a hole through which my head and body move, lowering overall drag. I don't know much about swimming, so I'm not really sure which is correct. I'd appreciate you/ others sharing your thoughts.

I think the advice you were given comes from the "Total Immersion" (TI) school of swim instruction, which while not completely wrong per se, focuses mainly on enabling a triathlete to complete the swim comfortably, but TI does not focus on speed at all. If you think about it, your arm can not really "create a hole" for your head and body to move through, since your head and body are bigger than your arm. Further, while certainly the arm out front helps keep your body balanced, recovering the arm over the water actually accomplishes this better, and in fact i think not getting the arm out far enough in front and really pulling hard is one of the major factors in why so many new swimmers' legs sink. Of course, lifting the head to breath, not keeping your body elongated in straight line, etc, also impact the sinking of the legs. In summary, i would advocate throwing your arm out as far as practicable in front of you before your hand enters the water.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next