Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Intense Hunger at High %of FTP?
Quote | Reply
I am some one who trains fasted early in the morning. I have for years. I'm so used to it, I don't even think about eating prior to working out.

I am good running for 2 hours (13-15 miles) steady or 1.5 hours with threshold intervals over 400 meter sets.

3 weeks ago I started structured bike training for the 1st time with TrainerRoad. Certain workouts leave me starving after about 30 minutes, even when I eat prior.

Example: This morning I did Glassy +1 - 4x15 @ 85% FTP. I ate a piece of toast w/ peanut butter and honey during warmup. 40 minutes in I was physically starving.

Is that normal?

Also, I am hungry all day, now and despite not eating more, I have gained 2 pounds. I am 6ft 136... Well was 136 pounds.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Jun 19, 18 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Intense Hunger at High %of FTP? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it’s pretty normal.

I used to do all my bike intervals with some calories/electrolytes or I couldn’t get through them. Now I can do even the toughest of my scheduled workouts with a few licks of salt and water.

Swimming also used to leave me totally famished. Not so much any more.

Finally and sorry I cannot remember where, but I recently read an article on the benifits of doing some higher intensity workouts in the days leading up to a race because it helps you increase your glycogen stores. So what you are going through is probably related to this mechanism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Threshold intervals over 400?

So... your FTP w/kg is 6.5?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Jun 19, 18 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Intense Hunger at High %of FTP? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

I was confused by that too... I think he meant running 400 meters?
Quote Reply
Re: Intense Hunger at High %of FTP? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy wrote:

That quote was from the paragraph about running... 400 meters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:

Also, I am hungry all day, now and despite not eating more, I have gained 2 pounds. I am 6ft 136... Well was 136 pounds.

Water weight. Take a day or three easy and you'll probably go pee 10 times in 6 hours and be back down to normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
I am some one who trains fasted early in the morning. I have for years. I'm so used to it, I don't even think about eating prior to working out.

I am good running for 2 hours (13-15 miles) steady or 1.5 hours with threshold intervals over 400 meter sets.

3 weeks ago I started structured bike training for the 1st time with TrainerRoad. Certain workouts leave me starving after about 30 minutes, even when I eat prior.

Example: This morning I did Glassy +1 - 4x15 @ 85% FTP. I ate a piece of toast w/ peanut butter and honey during warmup. 40 minutes in I was physically starving.

Is that normal?

Same here- always train fasted in the morning. Bike workouts always leave me feeling hungriest. Then run, then swim. I wonder if bike workouts proportionally use more of your muscle glycogen stores than running or swimming workouts, leaving your muscles depleted which activates your hunger.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have to say if you're 6 ft and only 136 lbs, you have plenty of room to gain wait. Also, are you fueling during these intense bike workouts? Or just drinking water? A piece of toast before a hard workout isn't going to do much for you nutrition-wise. I'm guessing the structured workouts are more intense than you are used to, so you're going harder without fueling properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Intense Hunger at High %of FTP? [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conky wrote:
I'd have to say if you're 6 ft and only 136 lbs, you have plenty of room to gain wait. Also, are you fueling during these intense bike workouts? Or just drinking water? A piece of toast before a hard workout isn't going to do much for you nutrition-wise. I'm guessing the structured workouts are more intense than you are used to, so you're going harder without fueling properly.

I admit that I am going harder than I am used to, way harder on the bike. Outdoor rides were just going outside and riding. These workouts are real workouts. I guess I need to learn to fuel. But, I thought people aimed for like 200 calories per hour, so the toast is right at 200 calories. Since I eat it during the warmup, I thought it should last 1 hour.

On the long steady trainer rides of 3+ hours, I do eat a fig bar every 30 minutes... because I love them and they make me happy... and because its the only time in my life where I will eat a sugary snack. If I could only convince myself that Peanut Butter Kit Kats were acceptable fuel.
Last edited by: Spartan420: Jun 19, 18 13:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, I'd say maybe add a mix to your water that gives you some calories as well, especially if you're starving. You wake up on an empty stomach and I usually burn 800+ calories an hour during a bike workout (unless it's an easy ride). So you are definitely ending up with a large deficit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you know your power then you know your energy consumption and can fuel accordingly. Check your past workout logs most software gives you an estimate too.

During races most will try to take 300 to 400 calories per hour. Really it’s about what you can tolerate without getting GI distress.

During training you are probably burning somewhere between 500 - 700 calories per hour. So, with your glycogen stores topped up at 1,800 - 2,000 calories you should be able to make it through most workouts.

Going in fasted is a different story... if you are feeling flat then fuel more.

At your BMI, I wouldn’t worry too much for the time being. Just consume calories to get the most out of your workout. Experiment a bit, there is no real harm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to eat a real breakfast to get something out of quality bike training. Early enough before that your body has time to start processing it into glycogen. You are going to RUIN yourself if you don’t start thinking of food as fuel and necessary for performance rather than something to be controlled and/or bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Intense Hunger at High %of FTP? [lawswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lawswimmer wrote:
You need to eat a real breakfast to get something out of quality bike training. Early enough before that your body has time to start processing it into glycogen.

That would be tough since I am getting up and started at 3:30-4am. I dont know that I am ready to wake up at 2am just to eat.

This morning, I did a 4000yard swim - straight set. Did it with no fuel and no pre-meal and didnt get hungry. It is just the bike intervals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Function of metabolism at different energy systems. I've just started doing my pursuit specific training. All the intervals are threshold+

And I just burn through my glycogen stores super fast. I feel like I can do a 5hr low-intensity ride and need fewer carbs than I did after a single 1hr session that left me ravenous.

As far as weight gain, high intensity efforts are inherently stressful. Stress leads to increased water weight retention. It's definitely normal after a very high intensity session for your weight to be up in the subsequent days. I "gained" 6+ lbs in the week after racing Dirty Kanza.

Speaking of, I actually find weight gain to be the most reliable predictor of excessive training load. Way more useful than HRV or anything like that. If my weight is consistently above baseline, probably a sign to take it easy for a bit.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep gels, shot bloks and honey stinger waffles next to me on the bike. It gives me a few different food choices when needed.

Like you though, I can run and swim first thing and be fine (sometimes a caffeinated gel to wake me up).
Quote Reply