Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ordered a new 5 Plus from my LBS to replace my 5. The music, better ANT+/Bluetooth, Maps and other features plus the positive DC Rainmaker review made this an easy decision for me. Got a fancy orange band version, 'cause its orange.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Fenix 3 Sapphire is about to have its 3rd birthday. It cured me of a watch addiction, so that probably saved me a lot of money in the long run. I had been on the fence on the 5, but will probably order the 5+ titanium. The addition of lower weight and music are the tipping point---I knew I already wanted HR, but that wasn't quite enough to make the jump. I like that they added the full maps to the 5 instead of having to go to the 5X.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:
You’re right they should stop rolling out new features. Better GPS, mapping and connectivity are all wins. This isn’t a watch marketed directly at triathletes. A built in pulse ox is awesome for high alpine climbing and mountaineering.

Anyone have any ideas on how they measure the O2 in your blood from the skin level, i.e. w/o actually sticking a probe into a blood vessel???

Light source , light detector. And some signal processing. Same as optical HR. Edit: that's how clothespin on your finger O2 sat detectors work in hospitals.

They could have saved themselves a lot of R&D and simply added this to their code:

int random = rand();

If (random) printf ('99%') else printf ('100%');

And have the O2 sat bounce around between 99% and 100%. That's all it will ever do on a sportswatch….

OK, understand the basics now but don't really see how this has much applicability to triathlon as it seems this O2 parameter has most applicability in hospital settings. If it is truly useful for mountaineering, i would think there would be other more mountain-specific watches on the market.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$25 for chicken nachos and $92 for tacos for 2 (AUD) in downtown Brisbane when I was there for worlds.... what are u guys smoking lol
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It uses light. There's a light sensor a little distance away from a light source that measures the color and amount of light that passes through your skin. Oxygen rich blood is redder, less oxygenated blood is bluer.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[Anyone have any ideas on how they measure the O2 in your blood from the skin level, i.e. w/o actually sticking a probe into a blood vessel???[/quote]

FWIW, I saw this explanation on the Outside website

The other big update, the pulse oximeter, is primarily useful for excursions into the alpine. The pulse-ox on the Fenix 5X Plus uses the same laser technology as those hospital finger clips. It shines two beams through your wrist and measures how much light reaches a detector on the other side. In the case of sports, it helps determine how your body responds to high altitude, where oxygen levels are lower. Sitting in our office, the watch told us our oxygen levels were at 100 percent. That reading dipped significantly on a run here in Santa Fe—which makes sense after five miles in 75-degree heat at 7,000-plus feet above sea level. But without comparing it to a hospital-grade sensor, we can’t say how accurate those readings were.

........The average athlete certainly doesn’t need to know their blood-oxygen saturation, but that tech has huge implications for people at the top end of mountain sports—and the maximized screen size on the 5S has huge implications for people with small wrists.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2318956/garmin-launches-fenix-5-plus-series

Last edited by: Iron Dukie: Jun 19, 18 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
I got the fenix to have an everyday watch that I can wear without feeling like a gigantic dork. With the sale, it was cheaper than the 935 and only a bit more than the 635. I knew it was a risk because I suspected there was a new fenix model coming, but I don't care because none of the new features are critical for me (I already have a 520 for cycling so I don't care about ant+ issues).

Same. $450 through my local shop for a F5 a few weeks back and I no longer am wearing a plastic watch with work clothes. That seems like a bargain compared to $700 starting price ($800 to not have the ugly steel bezel) when I don't want music or would use the watch based payment. Maps seems cool, but the navigation works just fine for the few times a year I make a running route ahead of time in a new place.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron Dukie wrote:
[Anyone have any ideas on how they measure the O2 in your blood from the skin level, i.e. w/o actually sticking a probe into a blood vessel???

FWIW, I saw this explanation on the Outside website

The other big update, the pulse oximeter, is primarily useful for excursions into the alpine. The pulse-ox on the Fenix 5X Plus uses the same laser technology as those hospital finger clips. It shines two beams through your wrist and measures how much light reaches a detector on the other side. In the case of sports, it helps determine how your body responds to high altitude, where oxygen levels are lower. Sitting in our office, the watch told us our oxygen levels were at 100 percent. That reading dipped significantly on a run here in Santa Fe—which makes sense after five miles in 75-degree heat at 7,000-plus feet above sea level. But without comparing it to a hospital-grade sensor, we can’t say how accurate those readings were.

........The average athlete certainly doesn’t need to know their blood-oxygen saturation, but that tech has huge implications for people at the top end of mountain sports—and the maximized screen size on the 5S has huge implications for people with small wrists.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2318956/garmin-launches-fenix-5-plus-series

[/quote]
Duke - Thanks for this info and link.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 920 and love it, upgraded form the 910. about 1 year out of warranty my 920 got all messed up... Garmin replaced it for free, just sent me a new one. They earned my business for the rest of my life. I want the 935 so badly, but my 920 does everything I truly need. My wife has the Fenix 5 and I get pretty jealous at some of the awesome features, but cant justify 1/3rd of my monthly teacher pay.

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
generally happy with my Fenix 3 *but* I do wish the GPS was more accurate.
It's a GPS watch. I want the GPS to work well.
I like the navigation features, which are why I bought it. And it's usually accurate enough. But, not quite usually enough.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 920xt that was good....had an Edge 520 that just dropped sensors out of the blue...got rid of that and have a Wahoo Bolt....the prices have been getting more and more outrageous...after seeing the latest 5S I am continue to use my Fenix 3 and wait to see what the Wahoo Rival is like when it finally comes out. If its too pricey I will stick with the 3 until it breaks or buy a 735xt or 935 along the way. For me, Garmin Pay is even more useless than Apple Pay and the music is almost as useless so I will basically stand pat. There is no way I am paying 700 USD or so for my triathlon watch (at least without a really compelling reason to do so).

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This looks to be much better and a fraction of the price! Garmin are a joke

Amazfit Stratos, has Triathlon mode, synchs to Strava, touch screen and buttons, light weight, wireless, waterproof, can download music, HR, GPS, 5 days battery life for $200 lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-vQK32_fU1Y
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No ANT+ and no way to load custom workouts to it....at least from the reviews I have read.....thats a deal breaker for me.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’d be concerned about a touchscreen product- not sure how it would work when wet from rain or swimming. I’ve been stuck in the rain trying to call for a ride home and found my iPhone touchscreen did not work AT ALL when wet (I had to run to a fast food restaurant and get some napkins to dry the screen before the touchscreen would work).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very happy with my Garmin 645m, except for one big issue.

It syncs with IHeartRadio, you’re supposed to be able to download music playlists and then go run without a phone, just stream the music from the watch to wireless headphones.

I’ve managed to do it exactly once.

After that, it’s become very confusing. Do I have to sync the playlist every single time I want to go running with IHeartRadio’s playlist? I get into this vicious circle of finding the playlist on the watch, but I can’t play it directly from there, it keeps telling me to sync the watch, so I do, and then go to play the music, and it tells me to sync it. Really annoying.

Plus iHeartRadio wants $10 a month. Garmin and IHeartRadio have to get their collective act together and make this easier to figure out.

DC Rainmaker, are you listening? I bought the watch because you said it was so easy to sync and play the music from IHeartRadio. Not the case.

Also, once you’re playing from a playlist, the skip option is great. But I found it very difficult to go from controlling the music to changing the run screens. Seems to be a situation of you can play music while timing a run, but you can’t go between the run screens.

Very confusing. And yes, I read the instructions.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Fenix 3 which does everything I need, but is a bit big really. I really fancied the fenix 5 but was put off without the sensor issues since I use a stryd.

The f5+ looks perfect. But the price! I paid about ÂŁ270 for the f3, a little less for my 910 I had before.

If they get a Spotify app I might take another look, or my f3 finally breaks.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I still have my Garmin 920xt. Hoping they’ll come out with a new version with same shape as 920xt. But I’ll stick with my 920xt for awhile

+1 hoping my wife retires from triathlon so i can have her 920 when mine eventually goes to shit.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
mickison wrote:
I still have my Garmin 920xt. Hoping they’ll come out with a new version with same shape as 920xt. But I’ll stick with my 920xt for awhile

+1 hoping my wife retires from triathlon so i can have her 920 when mine eventually goes to shit.

I keep looking at all the new watches but can’t justify upgrading as the 920 does all I need. Bike computer is a different story. Had the edge 520. Lost it. Bought lezyne super gps. Have to decide if that works for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You act like this watch was marketed towards you and only you. It isn’t being marketed towards triathletes. It has a bigger market in mountaineering and trail running. If you don’t like it don’t buy it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
...DC Rainmaker, are you listening? I bought the watch because you said it was so easy to sync and play the music from IHeartRadio. Not the case.

Yeah, I'm not sure what's going on with respect to your watch. I'd consider removing the iHeartRadio app and re-installing it.

It really is as simple as syncing the playlist every once in a while (I haven't sync'd my iHeartRadio playlist in about a week now), and then just selecting it and pressing play. I actually uploaded a video this morning showing just that. Silly easy.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ffmedic84 wrote:
You act like this watch was marketed towards you and only you. It isn’t being marketed towards triathletes. It has a bigger market in mountaineering and trail running. If you don’t like it don’t buy it.

Don't use logic, he's enjoying being mad. Just because he's wrong doesn't spoil the fun for him.
Last edited by: elf6c: Jun 21, 18 6:36
Quote Reply
Re: New Garmin watches. Anyone else getting fed up with Garmin? [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Ray, I’ll give it a try. Maybe that will break me out of this cycle of despair and no music.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply

Prev Next