Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Running latex tubes for first time...What do I need to know? [Srlecey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tire pressure is ideally variable depending on surface conditions. Regardless of your tubes, the best results come from running the lowest pressure possible while not risking pinch flats. Bigger/lower is well proven these days with regard to tire size and PSI.
Quote Reply
Re: Running latex tubes for first time...What do I need to know? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
But talc helps with latex tube installation because it keep the super stretchy latex from getting caught on the tire casing.

But how? Jobst addresses this point in the bold part of what I quoted. The same thing can happen with normal tubes. If you push the slightly inflated tube into the tire, your latex tube wont get caught in the tire casing.
Quote Reply
Re: Running latex tubes for first time...What do I need to know? [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why? What's wrong with training with Latex?
Quote Reply
Re: Running latex tubes for first time...What do I need to know? [ChandlerMyles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChandlerMyles wrote:
If you push the slightly inflated tube into the tire, your latex tube wont get caught in the tire casing.

Installing latex tubes becomes particularly challenging when the tube is used (stretched) and the tire is really tight. The barely inflated tube is bigger than the space inside the tire. And the tube definitely gets hung up on the tire if the interface isn't lubed with talc.
Quote Reply
Re: Running latex tubes for first time...What do I need to know? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone had any issues with the valve extensions on the Vittoria latex tubes? I can't get it to fully seat. I'm not sure if I need to apply a significant amount of torque or to just let it be. I notice it had a white rubber seal on the end so I assumed that probably helped seal the threading. I just installed it and pumped it to 100 psi to see if it leaks, but thought i'd ask.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Running latex tubes for first time...What do I need to know? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the kind where the valve isn't removed (Zipp I think), and just put pipe sealing tape on the threads.
Quote Reply
Re: Running latex tubes for first time...What do I need to know? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
Anyone had any issues with the valve extensions on the Vittoria latex tubes? I can't get it to fully seat. I'm not sure if I need to apply a significant amount of torque or to just let it be. I notice it had a white rubber seal on the end so I assumed that probably helped seal the threading. I just installed it and pumped it to 100 psi to see if it leaks, but thought i'd ask.

Put about three spins of teflon pipe tape on the threads before screwing on the extender and tip (so there are two spots that need tape!). It will hold air, no problem, with only light torque. If you are seeing some pressure loss overnight...that is inherent to latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Running latex tubes for first time...What do I need to know? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just adding to your post, losing 5 - 10 PSI of air a day with latex is normal. If your tube is flat over night, or losing half of its pressure in a day, then you need to start troubleshooting your issue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next