Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ponderings about cooling (or lack of) during a hot race
Quote | Reply
So this went through my mind yesterday at Syracuse. "Why don't more people take active measures to cool down?"

My last two long races have been '17 IM Chat and yesterday's Syracuse 70.3 which have been pretty hot (low 90s or upper 80s depending on what i heard). As I was running through I was watching what people do to cool off which mainly consisted of running through the aid stations throwing water on themselves. I was given a coupole great tips prior to Chattanooga from a local pro which has been game changing for me in hot races. Yesterday's 90 degree heat did not affect me subjectively. Though undoubtedly I went slower, I never felt like I was overheating. So here it is. . .use as you please.

On the bike I wear arm coolers. Big deal you say and I'd be incline to agree. It's at the aid stations that I take a bottle of water and douse both arms as well as my jersey. With bare skin the water just runs off or evaporates within a few minutes. When they calculate surface area with burn injuries, it's the rule of 9s. Head is 9%, Front torso 18%, back chest 18%, each arms 9%, each leg 18%, genitalia 1%. So it's nearly 1/5 of your surface area that you can take advantage of the cooling effect. With the skin coolers, I stay moist and cool until the next aid station where it's rinse and repeat.

On the run, it's ice down the front and back of my shorts. The groin is an immensely vascular area with major vessels that bring blood to the lower extremities. Provides for great cooling effect. I noticed that if I even skip one aid station (so run 2 miles) then I can start overheating. Even in the 90 degree heat, I never felt like I was overheating. I also ice under the hat but that gets really cold.

My only other suggestion would be to use a ziplock bag so the water doesn't get into your shoes.

Hope this helps someone from heat exhaustion or worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Ponderings about cooling (or lack of) during a hot race [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello IMStillTrying and All,

From Google Groups Cycling Physiology:

For the many of you who have been wondering about the cooling effect of your zebra-patterned cycling jersey…

Bill Black

Experimental Evidence That Stripes Do Not Cool Zebras, by Ig Nobel Winners
June 19th, 2018
The prize-winning researchers who discovered why white-haired horses are the most horsefly-proof horses has now probed a classic mystery about zebra stripes. They published this report: “Experimental Evidence That Stripes Do Not Cool Zebras,” Gábor Horváth, Ádám Pereszlényi, Dénes Száz, András Barta, Imre M. Jánosi, Balázs Gerics, and Susanne Åkesson, Scentific Reports, vol. 8, no. 9351, 2018. The authors explain what they did, and what they reasoned from it:
“There are as many as 18 theories for the possible functions of the stripes of zebras, one of which is to cool the animal. We performed field experiments and thermographic measurements to investigate whether thermoregulation might work for zebra-striped bodies.

“A zebra body was modeled by water-filled metal barrels covered with horse, cattle and zebra hides and with various black, white, grey and striped patterns. The barrels were installed in the open air for four months while their core temperature was measured continuously. Using thermography, the temperature distributions of the barrel surfaces were compared to those of living zebras. The sunlit zebra-striped barrels reproduced well the surface temperature characteristics of sunlit zebras. We found that there were no significant core temperature differences between the striped and grey barrels, even on many hot days, independent of the air temperature and wind speed. The average core temperature of the barrels increased as follows: white cattle, grey cattle, real zebra, artificial zebra, grey horse, black cattle. Consequently, we demonstrate that zebra-striped coats do not keep the body cooler than grey coats challenging the hypothesis of a thermoregulatory role of zebra stripes.”
Here’s a video news report about the zebra-stripe research:
The 2016 Ig Nobel Prize for physics was awarded to Gábor Horváth, Miklós Blahó, György Kriska, Ramón Hegedüs, Balázs Gerics, Róbert Farkas, Susanne Åkesson, Péter Malik, and Hansruedi Wildermuth, for discovering why white-haired horses are the most horsefly-proof horses, and for discovering why dragonflies are fatally attracted to black tombstones.
REFERENCE: “An Unexpected Advantage of Whiteness in Horses: The Most Horsefly-Proof Horse Has a Depolarizing White Coat,” Gábor Horváth, Miklós Blahó, György Kriska, Ramón Hegedüs, Balázs Gerics, Róbert Farkas and Susanne Åkesson, Proceedings of the Royal Society B, vol. 277 no. 1688, pp. June 2010, pp. 1643-1650.
REFERENCE: “Ecological Traps for Dragonflies in a Cemetery: The Attraction of Sympetrum species (Odonata: Libellulidae) by Horizontally Polarizing Black Grave-Stones,” Gábor Horváth, Péter Malik, György Kriska, Hansruedi Wildermuth, Freshwater Biology, vol. 52, vol. 9, September 2007, pp. 1700–9.
BONUS: RICHÁRD HEGYESHALMI gives the news study a quick study, writing in the Hungarian journal Index: “What Are the Zebra’s Stripes Good For?
===================

"The Ig Nobel awards are arguably the highlight of the scientific calendar." —Nature

Ig Nobel Prize Winner Dr. Elena Bodnar demonstrates her invention (a brassiere that can quickly convert into a pair of protective face masks) assisted by Nobel laureates Wolfgang Ketterle (left), Orhan Pamuk, and Paul Krugman (right). Photo credit: Alexey Eliseev, 2009 Ig Nobel Ceremony

https://www.improbable.com/ig/winners/#ig2016

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Ponderings about cooling (or lack of) during a hot race [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at IM Chatt 17. On the bike I drank a lot of liquids and at aid stations sprayed myself down with water. On the run, I grabbed ice and/or cold sponges and put them under hat and/or down shirt and shorts. And they had jugs of cold water to dump on you so I did that whenever they had them. I had no overheating issues. Not saying it didn’t get toasty on the bike but I was able to stay cool enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, I've learned through my races at Eagleman that ice in my jersey and ice water down my back/on my head keeps me cool from one aid station to the next. It is amazing how quickly the heat can suck the energy out of my body and how quickly I can feel decent again from one aid station to the next. I think most people just don't try it because they don't think it'll effect them that much or they worry about the wetness in their shoes or maybe chaffing from their tri suit. That was my first worry since I never really get to drown myself with water and ice in training.

I think it is similar to using coke. I only started using it because I was so dead during an IM run that I just needed anything. It was glorious. It's now my go-to when I'm really starting to suffer on the run.
Quote Reply