Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Winston Churchill's 'Finest Hour' Speech, This Day in 1940
Quote | Reply
Winston Churchill was a skilled orator and speechmaker as well as one very comfortable with rhetoric and its many uses. He'd been classically trained in the humane arts, for one, and it showed in the power of his words. Today marks the anniversary of his 'Finest Hour' speech given to the British House of Commons in 1940, one of the most powerful speeches of the modern era. Here are his closing words:

"What General Weygand called the Battle of France is over. I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilization. Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this Island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, “This was their finest hour.”"

Honestly, at this point, I doubt the 'thousand years' part but the "finest hour" parts seems fairly solid so far.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Winston Churchill's 'Finest Hour' Speech, This Day in 1940 [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The Last Lion" was an amazing 3 volume book. It was so long and full of such details over his life that at the end you are sort of sad in that you have lost a friend and companion. If you haven't read it it is worth the commitment. Winston was imperfect, and it is easy to focus on some of his outdated beliefs, but all in all he was a great man. The most amazing thing about him was his longevity. We was born under Victoria when cavalry still reigned, and died after the creation of thermonuclear bombs.. After JFK in fact. what a life.
Quote Reply
Re: Winston Churchill's 'Finest Hour' Speech, This Day in 1940 [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great speech. I prefer the following, as interpreted by my California rescue pup:

Bored at work. Clearly.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Last edited by: CaptainCanada: Jun 18, 18 10:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Winston Churchill was a skilled orator and speechmaker as well as one very comfortable with rhetoric and its many uses. He'd been classically trained in the humane arts, for one, and it showed in the power of his words. Today marks the anniversary of his 'Finest Hour' speech given to the British House of Commons in 1940, one of the most powerful speeches of the modern era. Here are his closing words:

"What General Weygand called the Battle of France is over. I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilization. Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this Island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, “This was their finest hour.”"

Honestly, at this point, I doubt the 'thousand years' part but the "finest hour" parts seems fairly solid so far.

Do you follow World War II on Twitter? it gives you daily tweets at whap happened on the same date during the war. They covered this today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few days earlier:

Quote:
We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

I don't know how accurate it is, but supposedly an exchange between two people present:

"What just happened?"
"He just mobilized the English language and sent it into battle."

For those who haven't seen it, Darkest Hour is an absolutely amazing movie.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Jun 18, 18 12:10
Quote Reply
Re: Winston Churchill's 'Finest Hour' Speech, This Day in 1940 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great speech and movie, but it is surprisingly easy to get people to suffer and die for their country
Quote Reply
Re: Winston Churchill's 'Finest Hour' Speech, This Day in 1940 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
A few days earlier:

Quote:
We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

I don't know how accurate it is, but supposedly an exchange between two people present:

"What just happened?"

He could've condensed that speech into a sentence and be done with it. "Believe me, we have the best generals and best troops." The end. The Germans never had a chance.
Quote Reply
Re: Winston Churchill's 'Finest Hour' Speech, This Day in 1940 [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
easy to say in hindsight. in the summer of 1940, there was no two front war for Germany, and the Brits had just abandoned all their equipment in Dunkirk. USA was partially committed at best. Post-war studies have shown that Sea Lion would never have worked, but it could have been attempted and would have been a huge cluster.
Quote Reply
Re: Winston Churchill's 'Finest Hour' Speech, This Day in 1940 [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
"The Last Lion" was an amazing 3 volume book. It was so long and full of such details over his life that at the end you are sort of sad in that you have lost a friend and companion. If you haven't read it it is worth the commitment. Winston was imperfect, and it is easy to focus on some of his outdated beliefs, but all in all he was a great man. The most amazing thing about him was his longevity. We was born under Victoria when cavalry still reigned, and died after the creation of thermonuclear bombs.. After JFK in fact. what a life.

It's in my Kindle and due up for reading later this summer, after I wade through a couple of other biographies and historical tomes. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Winston Churchill's 'Finest Hour' Speech, This Day in 1940 [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Do you follow World War II on Twitter? it gives you daily tweets at whap happened on the same date during the war. They covered this today.

I don't do Twitter. I just like history, is all, especially as it relates to these sorts of things and the great men (and great women) that drive them. :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Winston Churchill's 'Finest Hour' Speech, This Day in 1940 [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Great speech. I prefer the following, as interpreted by my California rescue pup:

Bored at work. Clearly.

That's great! :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Winston Churchill's 'Finest Hour' Speech, This Day in 1940 [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
A few days earlier:

Quote:

"What just happened?"

He could've condensed that speech into a sentence and be done with it. "Believe me, we have the best generals and best troops." The end. The Germans never had a chance.

That section you cited above is among the best that can be found in British literature, whether written or spoken, in that era. Churchill's influences in that regard are evident throughout and one can sit here and imagine the cadences as he pronounced "we shall fight... " To me, it ranks with Shakespeare's Henry V St. Crispin's Day speech, Act IV, scene iii, 18-67.

Below, 59-67. Singularly powerful, as were the signal speeches and talks given by Churchill over those very few days:

But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Quote Reply