Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UCI and praying mantis position... which extension?
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: I race UCI events which enforce the rules, so anyone with nothing constructive to say except the UCI are twats (which they are) please refrain from commenting.

Been playing around with my own position which I sort of like but I think there some room for improvement for me to go abit more 'mantis'.

So the UCI doesnt allow the extensions to be more than 10cm above the armrests, which allows 'some' praying mantis positions except the most extreme. I currently use the zipp evo 70 extensions, I'm wondering if anyone knows of other extensions of similar shape that might have more rise but still be uci legal?
Quote Reply
Re: UCI and praying mantis position... which extension? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drag2Zero has some very nice, though expensive extensions in various angles.
Quote Reply
Re: UCI and praying mantis position... which extension? [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which aerobar are you using? If you can tilt the whole extension/arm pad system together, you can get a little more rise, since the 10cm rule is from the middle of the arm pads.
So you tilt those up, and you get a “free” 1-2cm of extra extension height.
If th pads can’t be tilted, there are angled arm pad wedges out there to achieve the same effect. Plus, it provides better forarm support for a mantis position.

Zipp 110 bars are similar to what you have, but obviously more rise.
51 SpeedShop has two 100-110mm extension options.
USE (Ultimate Sports Engineering) has 20/30/40/50 degree bends, that can be mounted backwards.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guys above have listed the best ones to use.

Be cautious, the rules around this are being looked at closely at the moment, and a few things have changed recently. You can still get away with it as of today, but it is almost certainly going to change in some way in the next few months.

I have 110's on my track bike (with pretty high mounting pads - brezza's) which fall in the 10cm, but if I had (non di2/etap) shifters I'd be foul. You almost have to use electric shifting to attempt to set up the mantis.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: UCI and praying mantis position... which extension? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you got caught you'd be boned, but I thought the rules didn't include the mechanical shifter. Just to the tip of the bar. From the pics of the inspection rig that's what it looked like.

If you had Di2 buttons, you could in theory have some "dummy" mechanical shifters that don't do anything but allow you another 1/2" or 1".
Quote Reply
Re: UCI and praying mantis position... which extension? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pre-revision, mech shifters were measured to the pivot bolt, regardless of actual lever length/style. After the change they are measured to the very end of the shifter lever (both at it's longest, and at it's highest possible position) The only exception is R2C shifters, which are always measured to their resting "return to" point. (still the end, either up or forward...or down I suppose)

Considering how long most levers are, it has made mechanical shifters a huge disadvantage when you consider almost all TT'ers need all the reach they can get.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: UCI and praying mantis position... which extension? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
If you got caught you'd be boned, but I thought the rules didn't include the mechanical shifter. Just to the tip of the bar.

Unfortunately not anymore. You have to flip the lever upright as far as possible to measure height and as far forward as possible for length. It really screws people on mechanical shifters.

I was planning to set my bike up to be UCI legal, but since I don't expect to be at any races where I'll be checked... screw it. If you want to do mantis with mechanical shifters though, I'd suggest mounting these a bit down the bar:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/...-bars-black/?geoc=US

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davidalone wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone knows of other extensions of similar shape that might have more rise but still be uci legal?

Wattshop in the UK makes angled carbon armrests for 85B$:

For extensions I'd recommend at least 40 deg al ski bends turned backward. Trim to length.

But to really give you the ultimate in adjustability and optimization, you be best off with bars that have independent armrests that attach to the extensions. The best looking I've seen is the Felt Bayonet 3. Replace the basebar with something better (Pro AL, or one of the 38cm PD Svet bars) and you'll have a nice setup.

Quote Reply