Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Travel Tip - Foam Piping
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

Have a bike bag and have traveled with bike before. This time, it's my new baby - my first carbon frame. Yes, I have insurance BUT wanted to upgrade foam piping if possible. I have a Ruster Armored Hen House and it came with the foam piping but curious if I can make an effort to do better. No, unfortunately no Home Depots/Lowe's around.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Tip - Foam Piping [carosemena] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not ship my bikes anywhere. But I have used pool floaters to protect them on occasion. They are cheap and can be cut to length.

I may not be fast, but once I get going, it is hard to stop me...
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Tip - Foam Piping [BigPat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh good call
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use some inflatable hands that I gathered at a race a few years ago.
Nice and light and absorb impacts quite well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry need to clarify. I meant pool noodles. I keep a bunch in my garage and use them for all kids of stuff. For about a year I had some taped to the roof rack on my wife’s car, with blue painters tape. Really classed it up.

I may not be fast, but once I get going, it is hard to stop me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These are worth every penny.

https://www.bopworx.com/bopwraptm.html
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Tip - Foam Piping [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh my god yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Tip - Foam Piping [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a cheap alternative, I use pipe insulation and velcro tape. $10 is enough for the entire bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Tip - Foam Piping [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugh - didn't pull the trigger then on the Bopworx. Have a race in 4 weeks and need some protection. Any other ideas??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With summer wrapping up, you may be able to find a store that has pool noodles on clearance. they work very well for protection and are a big thicker and more dense than pipe insulation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure you can do better than pipe insulation. The stuff is pretty firm foam so it can absorb impacts and unlike a pool noodle It is also actually made to go around things and is already split lengthwise. It even says in the product description: "Can be used as a protective cover where necessary." ;-) 6 feet is only $2.13 at Home Depot but you can also get it at any hardware store. 2 pieces are enough but get 3 if you have OCD. That comes in at $6.39 before tax.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-in-x-6-ft-Foam-Pipe-Insulation-ORP11812/204760805

Another must have is a large roll of bubble wrap to wrap up anything hard you put in the case with your bike (e.g. pump, shoes, pedals, etc. More than likely, that is the stuff that is going to mess your frame up if you don't pack it right.

Finally, use your clothes and kit as padding. Get some smallish laundry bags, pack clothes in them and use them as "pillows."
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Tip - Foam Piping [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks! one unrelated question - do you guys take off your discs when traveling with bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have always used pipe insulation - different thicknesses - works well - but do not buy the stuff with the adhesive that sticks the pieces together - messy stuff... Hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Tip - Foam Piping [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the pie insulation also, works. Pool noodles also a good suggestion as someone noted above.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Tip - Foam Piping [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:
With summer wrapping up, you may be able to find a store that has pool noodles on clearance. they work very well for protection and are a big thicker and more dense than pipe insulation.

I bought a few for a dollar each...at the dollar store!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carosemena wrote:
thanks! one unrelated question - do you guys take off your discs when traveling with bike?

Brake rotors? That would be very prudent, especially if they are the convenient centre lock type. A warped disc is an utter PITA as we all know.

ETA - just looked at that Bopwerx stuff. Looks like money for old rope to me; fancy pipe lagging, and you can get dropout spacers for both axles for way less than that for example.

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Aug 15, 18 2:29
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Travel Tip - Foam Piping [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep meant rotors. Thank you!
Quote Reply