Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best way to log data with Forerunner 935, Edge 520+ and Vector 3?
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Forerunner 935 for over a year to log all of my workouts, and recently splurged on some Vector 3s and an Edge 520+ for the bike. After a few quick test rides, I'm wondering what process makes the most sense in terms of logging data and synchronizing across all of my devices. The goal here is to have all of my cycling rides sync up with my Forerunner so that my training status, load, records etc are always on that device. Both my watch, Edge, and phone have connected to the Vector 3s, so theoretically I could log cycling data through my watch only, my Edge only, or I guess my phone only. Also, I would obviously want the full Vector 3 cycling dynamics available with the method I choose, AND I would also want the ability to navigate a route during my ride. I've tried two approaches so far:

1: Log a ride on the Edge 520+, try to get heart-rate from the Forerunner 935 watch (set watch to broadcast HR when in cycling mode). This navigates the route just fine, but the Edge never detected the heart-rate from the watch. When I go to Sensors on the Edge, I see the Vectors, but not the watch, however if I go to Heart Rate sensor, I see the watch as "checked", so I'm not sure what to make of this. The other downside is, after the ride, it syncs up with Garmin Connect on my phone, but doesn't "backfeed" onto my watch, so it doesn't affect my training status/load.

2: Log a ride on the watch, go into Extended Display mode with the Edge. This seemed to work pretty well... I could configure my watch to show heart-rate, power from the Vectors, speed etc, and since the watch is the "master" it obviously syncs up in the end and affects my training load.

Strangely, although both my watch and Edge are connected to the Vector 3s, I see different information when I review the two rides above (see attached pics). For the ride logged on the Edge, I can see L/R Balance, L/R Torque Effectiveness, pedal smoothness, normalized power, intensity factor, etc, and I can see cycle pedal power phase and balance in the graphs area. But for the ride on the Forerunner watch (extended display on the Edge), I can only see L/R Balance, and I don't see the dynamics in the graph area.

It seems like using the watch and extended display mode would be the way to go, but I don't want to miss out on any of the pedal dynamics. Anyone else in the same boat and have some advice? Seems like Garmin has some room for improvement in having their various products synchronize and collaborate better - I naively thought this would be the case.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to log data with Forerunner 935, Edge 520+ and Vector 3? [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin just released true-up like a week and half ago which will synchronize your bike workouts recorded on your 520 to your 935. This was never possible until recently. My 935 now shows all my bike workouts even though I don’t even wear it during my rides. I just had to update my 935 to the latest software and ensure true up is enabled on the 935 (settings then physiological metrics).

As far as getting your 935 optical hr to the 520, you have to put the 935 in broadcast mode to broadcast the hr out. But honestly, optical hr sucks and is inaccurate. Chest strap is a better long term solution.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jun 17, 18 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to log data with Forerunner 935, Edge 520+ and Vector 3? [Crentist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similar setup with a 935, 520, and Powertap P1 pedals. I use the 935 for data collection and only use the 520 as a data screen that’s easier to read while riding. I don’t sync the 520 data to my Garmin account. It doesn’t collect any additional data that my 520 doesn’t already get.

The one downside to this method is I don’t get heart rate data on my 520. You could set the 935 to broadcast heart rate, but then it won’t collect data. I suppose I could wear a heart rate strap, but if I really care about my heart rate, I’ll just look at my watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crentist wrote:
Strangely, although both my watch and Edge are connected to the Vector 3s, I see different information when I review the two rides above (see attached pics). For the ride logged on the Edge, I can see L/R Balance, L/R Torque Effectiveness, pedal smoothness, normalized power, intensity factor, etc, and I can see cycle pedal power phase and balance in the graphs area. But for the ride on the Forerunner watch (extended display on the Edge), I can only see L/R Balance, and I don't see the dynamics in the graph area.

Make sure that your Vector 3's are paired to the watch as an ANT+ device (the descriptor will be just the ANT ID value) rather than as a BLE device (the descriptor will be V3-BLE:xxxxxxx). The BLE bike power service does not support cycling dynamics.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to log data with Forerunner 935, Edge 520+ and Vector 3? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahhh thanks yea, it was paired originally using BLE. I disconnected and tried again and now it looks like it's using ANT+. Will give it a whirl tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Best way to log data with Forerunner 935, Edge 520+ and Vector 3? [Big Endian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a similar problem which I get not fixed.

My setup is a Favero Assioma DUO powermeter. I want to connect it with my Garmin Forerunner 935 watch. Somehow I am only able to connect it via Bluetooth. I want to connect it via ANT+ to get all the data there is.

Could someone help me please :) ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running the same setup with 1st gen Vectors.

I use my watch to log everything. I'll use the 520 for navigation or simply for viewing metrics while riding but then I pretty much delete the ride from the 520 without syncing. I don't do the extended display, I just configure the 520 screen to my liking.

The one caveat is heart rate. When doing a full IM I don't want to broadcast HR for 112 miles and burn battery. So training or racing I'll use the 520 to view all metrics except HR. I keep my 935 on a screen that has HR only while I ride. So I'll glance over there once in a while to check things out but I generally ride by power rather than HR so it's really just a reference check.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
925 and 510 for me.

I use the 935 for logging everything apart from Zwift, but that goes directly into garmin connect and from there training peaks. The 510 is all I look at when riding, but when I get home I delete the ride without saving. So all the metrics go from the 935, but I've been using the better displays on the 510 for anything I want to see whilst doing the ride.
Quote Reply