Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Horse hit by triathletes. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep.
Certainly in GB, events are on open roads 99% of the time.
Only times they're not that I'm aware of are
- 1 race (sprint + Oly) did stay within a park and use its roads (Sutton Park)
- a few on motor racing circuits (usually sprints and duathlons, eg Oulton Park, Cadwell, Mallory).

- elite events eg ITU series at Leeds or Nottingham (where they also let muppets like me out before to sweep the roads with my tyres)
Quote Reply
Re: Horse hit by triathletes. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
cowboy7 wrote:
Benv wrote:
I've done that race twice (it was my first triathlon!), it is one of those races with lots of beginners but the course is normally closed to traffic. Clearly the horse should not have been there, and those passing on the left did not make a smart decision but maybe just didn't know any better.

Yep know doubt it was pretty stupid riding but the bigger and more serious story is the whopping £900 fine never mind the lifetime ban from the event company.

Meanwhile cyclists are being killed in the UK and motorists are given a slap on the wrist and far smaller fine.

https://road.cc/...rrow-road-handed?amp

I guess it will take a politician being mown down to change things.

That wasn't a fine, he deserved a hefty penalty to actually alter his behavior.

He hit the horse and the rider, the horse spooked and bolted. What happened was lucky, the rider could have been thrown and ended up with severe injuries. There is no defense of that fuckwit. Now stop it.

Maybe try reading my comments first. I wasn't defending him at all. This race has been running for years so find it difficult to believe the rider was not aware.

My point was the different court actions with dangerous road behaviour.
Quote Reply
Re: Horse hit by triathletes. [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

I asked if you read the THREAD. for example this post here:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6658688#p6658688

Which links back to the ACTUAL race packet from the event. From page 14 of the PDF (the BIKE COURSE page):

Quote:

Please note that the Olympic distance will be a 2 lap course with a lap of the top loop on the map before continuing back to
transition.

The roads are open to live traffic and you MUST obey all Highway Code Rules and road regulations at all times. You must give-way where required at junctions and roundabouts, be aware of your fellow cyclists and other traffic users, and obey all road regulations, highway signage and any specific event signage.

Take time on Saturday to walk round transition and familiarise yourself with bike out and bike in locations. The mount point requires a run of approximately 325m from bike out.

My answer was intentional. I did not read the entire thread. You can't run a race on completely open roads. It's not a race if you do. Certainly not one that is safe for the participants or other people on the road. It's not reasonable to expect people to stop at stop signs and give way to traffic in a race. Nor is it reasonable for organizers to truly expect people racing to follow those rules while in competitive mode.

I lay the blame on the organizers. Clearly the horse rider didn't know the event was taking place, but from an race organizational perspective shouldn't have been on a road in the middle of a race. We aren't talking just a few people going by, there was a pretty big pack.
Quote Reply
Re: Horse hit by triathletes. [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
My answer was intentional. I did not read the entire thread.

Noted. If you can't be bothered to READ...

However, it seems more accurate to say, "You did not read ANY of the thread." For example two posts up from yours:

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6850863#p6850863

Specifically,

BobAJob wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Horse hit by triathletes. [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
mcmetal wrote:

However, it seems more accurate to say, "You did not read ANY of the thread." For example two posts up from yours:

Specifically,

BobAJob wrote:

Like I said I read the article and a few posts here and there, but that is a moot point.

If you run a race (even if it's 99% of races) on open roads, you can't act all surprised when things like this happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Horse hit by triathletes. [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
mcmetal wrote:

Specifically,

BobAJob wrote:

Like I said I read the article and a few posts here and there, but that is a moot point.

If you run a race (even if it's 99% of races) on open roads, you can't act all surprised when things like this happen.

you can't be surprised when a cyclist assaults an animal/rider? I beg to differ.
Quote Reply
Re: Horse hit by triathletes. [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot comment on other places but here in the UK there is a large anti-cycling section of the community. You see it constantly in baiting News Paper articles by cheapshot journos, and the many rants on social media and via various internet mimes about cyclists be w@#$ers, people bragging how they like to push cyclists off or give them a fast punishment pass for daring to use "their" road.

There have even been articles blaming traffic pollution on bikes and bike paths as they allegedly cause traffic jams. There is also increasing resistance for events by locals. There is a suggestion that this was a significant reason for the quickest 10mile TT course in the UK being selved.

Incidents like this just help feed this anti cycling sentiment and it has already been posted up on a number of facebook teaffic & travel groups as evidence that something needs to be done about cyclists. Unfortunately it seems that where a cyclist shoulders some of the blame there seems to be maximum publicity and then a higher punishment. If you compare this case where the rider was irresponsible and while the outcome could have been much worse the actual damage was minimal against the driver that took the bend too fast ending up on the wrong side if the road slamming in to two horses and riders that wasn't even prosecuted, cyclist seem to have to take much more responsibility. The same in the Allison case where he was irresponsible and sounded like an accident waiting to happen, but faced a pedestrian that wasn't looking before crossing the road he got a prison sentence, while the motorist responsible for killing a group if cyclists in a car with illegally worn tyres escaped a prison sentence as did the texting driving that killed one of my club mates and a recent speeding driver that kill another cyclists.

This means we have to try and be squeaky clean to limit the ammo thrown back at us and because we are probably less likely to recieve the same understanding as motorists that make mistakes or act irresponsibly.
Quote Reply
Re: Horse hit by triathletes. [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
mcmetal wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
mcmetal wrote:

Specifically,

BobAJob wrote:

you can't be surprised when a cyclist assaults an animal/rider? I beg to differ.

Actually in race conditions riders assault other rides frequently (head butts, throwing knees, etc). But that wasn't what I was referring to. The issue here is you don't let lose a bunch of reved up competitive athletes on open roads and expect folks to ride like they are doing are leisurely ride. If you can't make it safe, don't run the event. By safe I mean for folks not in the race as well as for the race participants.
Quote Reply

Prev Next