Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flo Disc Wheel Question--Updated
Quote | Reply
Cannot find the info. Anyone know if the Flo disc wheel comes with rim tape, skewer or valve extender?
Last edited by: D.O.: Jun 23, 18 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc Wheel Question [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The flo guys are really good at answering these questions. Try their webpage for contact info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got one recently - yes rim tape, yes skewer, no valve extender. I didn't need a valve extender for the disc wheel.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc Wheel Question [bostonpats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive heard their customer service is second to none, I am impatient and did not want to wait till tomorrow :)
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc Wheel Question [SwimMikeRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I wanted to hear, thanks Mike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got mine a few days ago ( carbon and aluminum disc) also came with a silca tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc Wheel Question [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear, ordered mine yesterday. What is your first impression of the disc? Had a chance to ride it?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc Wheel Question [SwimMikeRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwimMikeRun wrote:
I just got one recently - yes rim tape, yes skewer, no valve extender. I didn't need a valve extender for the disc wheel.

Mike
Going to disagree with one thing... it comes with a rim strip, not rim tape. Very important distintion if you want to run latex, you'll want to get tape if you run latex.

You don't need a valve extender as it is just a thin wheel base behind the cover... I have a Flo Carbon disc, very happy with it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked one up earlier this year (aluminum rim version) and I’ve really liked it. I also have a rear FLO 30 for training but the disc seems to be pretty bomb proof so I’ve only ended up riding the 30 a few times and have spent the majority of the time training on the disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc Wheel Question [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no issues with my latex tubes using the included rim strip
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc Wheel Question [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also have the new Flo disc. A few weeks ago I got my first ever pinch flat in a race. I was running latex tubes and I now wonder if it was because I used the included strip instead of tape. Also mine is really loud, to the point that others on a group ride comment. Is this normal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a disc and it came with skewer not rim tape or extender

Julie Dunkle
NYX Endurance,:Swim.Bike.Run.Gravel.Strength Coach
jdunkle.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
48mm valve stems work great with the FLO disc, and the opening is big enough that a standard pump works, no need for the crack pipe. Very convenient.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc Wheel Question [Mr Brightside] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO, yes that could be the case. Too late to tell, but I like to pull the tube and mark it so I can see where the hole is and then inspect the wheel and tire at that spot.

Latex is much more supple and apt to get into places you wouldn't want it to go vs. a butyl tube. Tape with a smooth valve stem hole IMO gives you the best environment for a latex tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Disc Wheel Question [Mr Brightside] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr Brightside wrote:
I also have the new Flo disc. A few weeks ago I got my first ever pinch flat in a race. I was running latex tubes and I now wonder if it was because I used the included strip instead of tape. Also mine is really loud, to the point that others on a group ride comment. Is this normal?

Rim tape has nothing to do with pinch flats. Pinch flats happen when you hit a pot hole or other hard object that compresses the tire so much that the rim makes hard contact against the inside of the tire tread -- thus "pinching" the inner tube. The tell tale sign is a pair of holes ("snake bite") on the innertube (because the pinch usually happens at both rims at the same time). Latex tubes are less susceptible to pinch flats (the pinch mechanism is less likely to puncture a latex tube) than butyl tubes.

OTOH, latex tubes, because the material is thinner and more pliable than butyl tubes, can find there way into smaller openings (e.g., spoke holes not guarded by good rim tape, a little sidewall hole that can happen in an otherwise nice tire (I'm talking about you Continental GP 4000 S), a little area where the tube sneaks in between the rim and the tire, etc.) and then can be susceptible to flat when they experience an increase in pressure (like when you hit a bump).

So to diagnose a flat, inspect the tube. Side by side punctures are almost certainly a pinch flat. Single holes in the outer part of the tube are probably punctures. Holes in the inner part of the tube (i.e., the inner diameter of the tube when inflated) are probably rim tape type issues. Holes in the sidewall portion of the tube can be from punctures, poor seating of tire, or a hole in the sidewall of the tire. Before you remove the tire and tube from the wheel, mark the tire and rim, so you can match up the hole(s) you then find in the inner tube to the place on the wheel and tire. That will help you find the problem.

One more note on the Continental GP 4000 S. My son and I each had the same experience on them a couple of year's apart. We hit a pot hole and immediately had a flat. We each assumed it was a pinch flat even though we were both running latex. We each put in a replacement latex tube for our next ride, and for both of us we experienced a clear road flat on that next ride. In both cases, what happened on the pot hole hit was a tire sidewall failure. The failure was not apparent on inspection, even after the tire was reinflated.
Quote Reply