Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any chance we may see a St. George psych sheet?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Any chance we may see a St. George psych sheet?

Ironman needs to release the participant list first. I've been waiting forever. Same for Oceanside.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM has released the participants list for IM TX 2020. Are you planning on doing a psych sheet for that?

Either way, really appreciate what you've done in this area. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [triryan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the St George athlete list is up, were you planning on doing psych sheets for races this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for these! Looking forward to 2020, specifically St George.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the top in hope Ryan produces these for 2021 and upcoming races!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll paypal $20 if he does one for Gulf Coast 70.3. lol.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know there’s a PayPal link on the old sheets...maybe $20 will get his attention...?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the interest here - I haven't maintained this in the last year and a half, so it would need a little work (and finding the time to do it between work and a two year old). I'll see what I can do but not sure by when.

SwizBeats wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will volunteer to help out!

triryan wrote:
Thanks for the interest here - I haven't maintained this in the last year and a half, so it would need a little work (and finding the time to do it between work and a two year old). I'll see what I can do but not sure by when.

SwizBeats wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry, but I call bullshit on this. I showed up at boulder and the individuals who were predicted, according to your algorithm, did well, but an outlier like myself....may show up, and may just crush the dream of qualifying, I have raced ironman since 1987, and Kona qualified since 1988, prior to any algorithm. My, most likely outdated, belief, if you hope to qualify, go race and not think about qualifying, because on any day, any one can show up and have a quality race and you may or may not have the race you want. Race, commit, race hard, dig deep, and hope to have a great day, and in the last 10 miles, think how bad do you want it.
Last edited by: Pink Poofy: Apr 17, 21 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [Pink Poofy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call bullshit on what? What do you think he's doing exactly? He's pulling together all the public race data for everyone on the start list, not claiming to see the future. A lot of people like to see that info and are grateful he complies it. I'm sure he's sorry though that he can't manufacture a forecast out of thin air based on how bad you want it.

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pink Poofy wrote:
I'm sorry, but I call bullshit on this. I showed up at boulder and they guys who were predicted according to your algorithm, did well, but an outlier like myself....may always show up, and may just crush the dream of qualifying, I have raced ironman since 1987, and Kona qualified since 1988, prior to any algorithm, if you hope to qualify, go race and not think about qualifying, because on any day, any one can show up and have a quality race and you may or may not have the race you want. Race, commit, race hard, dig deep, and hope to have a great day, and in the last 10 miles, think how bad do you want it.

alternatively: "hey, thanks for the work you put into this! can you explain the algorithm to me?"

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are right, it is good work. I am sure it is appreciated. thank you for compiling the data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pink Poofy wrote:
I'm sorry, but I call bullshit on this. I showed up at boulder and they guys who were predicted according to your algorithm, did well, but an outlier like myself....may always show up, and may just crush the dream of qualifying, I have raced ironman since 1987, and Kona qualified since 1988, prior to any algorithm, if you hope to qualify, go race and not think about qualifying, because on any day, any one can show up and have a quality race and you may or may not have the race you want. Race, commit, race hard, dig deep, and hope to have a great day, and in the last 10 miles, think how bad do you want it.

Have qualified since 88 and you are an outlier?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, according to the list, I wasn't even in the top 75, and the second place age grouper not even in the top 100, if I read the list correct. To clarify, I think there are individuals, who are not the "professional age grouper, " who come out to race, not every year, not every decade, but can certainly upset the predictions. Call me superstitious, after doing the training, more often than not, the times I thought I had a good chance of qualifying based on looking at the lists of individuals, I did not qualify. Every time I went to have my best race, with no expectation, I often times did qualify.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These sheets/lists aren't predictions. They're basically start lists and have ratings of the folks who are on the start list based on recent-ish past results. I know plenty of people who have looked at these lists and psyched themselves out of contention simply thinking that they're going to lose because they're ranked lower than others in the field. Hence "psych sheet".

Show up and race and let the chips fall where they may.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Psych Sheets (updated for 2019) [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are approaching a race with the goal of a KQ or podium, it is very helpful to use this as a starting point for gauging the competition. It’s absolutely true that AGers that are showing up at the last minute or have been inactive for years can skew the results. These are very useful directionally, and tactically—if you see someone that looks 5 minutes slower than you on the run and they pass you at 90 miles on the bike, you need to react accordingly.

You can supplement the recon by visiting obstri.com and looking up individual people and seeing their history.

I really appreciate the work by the creator of the Psych Sheets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just donated in hopes that there is a chance for a 70.3 Worlds psych sheet. Regardless, I've used them in the past and your work is much appreciated!

Mark Saroni

Prev Next