Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Athletes With Joint Replacement
Quote | Reply
I have been asked to give a talk at the UVA Running Medicine conference in the Spring on runners/triathletes who have undergone joint replacement surgery and continue to train/race. If this is you, or someone you know, I'd love to talk to them and find out their experience. Thanks in advance. Contact john@johnpostmd.com

Thank you.

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes With Joint Replacement [johnpostmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnpostmd wrote:
I have been asked to give a talk at the UVA Running Medicine conference in the Spring on runners/triathletes who have undergone joint replacement surgery and continue to train/race. If this is you, or someone you know, I'd love to talk to them and find out their experience. Thanks in advance. Contact john@johnpostmd.com

Thank you.

You should reach out to Steve Elwell on FB. He had total knee replacement at a young age and he seems to have come back very strong.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes With Joint Replacement [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a hip resurfacing (right hip) which has allowed me to continue to train and race whereas a total hip replacement would have prevented that. I also know Steve Elwell, a team mate on Team Zoot Southwest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this counts...

I had a artificial disc put in between C6 and C7 in April '17. It's been a miracle so far. But, I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. PM me if you're interested.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I passed your info along to a lady who works for me. She has had both hips replaced, as well as a shoulder (bike crash). She still swims 3X per week, cycles, and has started doing a little running. And she is actually a UVA grad!

Larry Lahodny
Owner, Gizmo Socks
Henderson, NV
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes With Joint Replacement [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas - thanks, I'll do that. I found a guy who's 10 years out from a hip replacement and does 3 Spartan races every year. Amazing how we can restore people to this level of activity!

Again, thx. John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes With Joint Replacement [donhensley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don - I live in VA and would love to chat sometime. To Steve also if you could give him my contact info. I'm finding folks functioning at a very high level in many instances. Was your hip done in SC?

thanks again! John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes With Joint Replacement [lahodny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wahoowa, go UVA. Thanks for the help, I'll look forward to learning more.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure anytime & I will reach out to Steve and send your contact info. I had my hip resurfaced here in Arizona at TOCA by Dr. Duhon.
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes With Joint Replacement [donhensley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - maybe we could talk about your hip some time. I'm in VA so 3 hours ahead of you. No rush. Maybe a week night, or if easier for you and you'd rather just write it I'm fine with that as well. Whatever works best for you.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Total hip replacement here seven years ago at the age of forty one. Three IMs, probably 50 sprints, and many road races later and I'm running and biking faster than ever. Feel free to message me.

Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bilateral hip resurfacing with Dr Scott Marwin at NYU Joint Disease Hosp. on 11/15/ 2001. Been doing sprints and olympics and running races up to half marathon ever since I recovered. 6 tri's year, probably 6 running races through the winter months. Without my artificial hips I'd probably be in pain, in a wheelchair, watching tv and waiting to pack it in. Instead I'm running, racing and having a ball!

I'd be glad to talk to you, pm me and let me know where and when.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very interested in what you come up with. At my day job I meet people with joint replacements or going down that route daily. Would love to see some success stories. I often tell my patients that while jumping and running is restricted, some patients still do and do fine. Others dont and their prosthesis fail. And the restrictions come from load tolerance studies and are extrapolated. So what one can do is not really known! Therefor I would also love to hear the stories from those who still want to live their active life to the fullest.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is something that comes up with my patients occasionally. The research is mixed (big surprise..) but I had patients with TKAs who returned to playing basketball/cycling with no issues in 6 months; although, the sample size is limited and follow up period is short. Previous activity levels and general condition prior to the surgery are huge, obviously. I always talk about the risk benefit ratio. Some people think its worth being active for 10/15 years to get another replacement later on.

My exposure to THA and athletic participation is unfortunately limited.

Golant et al. has a comprehensive systematic review on this topic if you haven't seen it. It goes into detail on wear and tear rates with different types of TJAs.

Golant, Alexander, et al. "Athletic participation after hip and knee arthroplasty." Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis 68.2 (2010): 76-83.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TKR in 2015. I can't run but have walked a few 5Ks with some slow shuffling. A runner friend who had TKR has returned to running 3x/week with the OK of his ortho and seems to be doing OK.

I did return to bike racing (but currently am not bike racing - but only due to the lack of decent racing in TN). I told my ortho that I didn't want to do the TKR if I couldn't race my bike again. He is concerned about a crash, but I told him that I would be more concerned about my head or collarbone in a crash (which he had to agree). The main thing I'm doing right now is swimming - masters and open water, but I'm probably doing an aquabike race this fall.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes With Joint Replacement [dakay001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yes, I've seen that article, but thanks. Be nice if we had a large 20-25 year follow up series -which will come at some point - but for now I agree with your approach of giving the patient the information as we understand it in 2018 and letting them make the decision. There's something to be said perhaps for higher life qualtiy in the face of potentially shorter prosthetic longevity.

Appeciate your input.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting topic and would be curious to here what you find out, particularly with regards to those who’ve undergone knee replacements. I’m a 31 yo female w/ a hx of 3 ACL reconstructions in one knee (thanks to soccer, last one was 10 yrs ago) and I got by for several years even on moderately high mileage (up to 60-70+ mile run weeks) and raced pro triathlon for 4 yrs. The past 2 years have been a mess and I can’t get my knee to be consistently pain free; some days I can run well, some days I can jog slow, some days I might as well not even walk. The swelling in my knee is perisistant, although of course the problems are greater on days when it is more swollen. I do take anti-infammatories regularly, although unsure if it makes a difference at this point (recently switched from ibprofin to aleve). Hence, my running is probably less than 20 mpw now, and sometimes less than 10 (or none at all). And, I haven’t gone back to racing pro (or any racing at all). Did increase biking and swimming quite a bit, but latest frustration is that even swimming aggravates my knee (feels unstable), so I’ve been doing a lot of pulling.

Anyhow, good luck in your research, and please please please let us know some of your findings. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes With Joint Replacement [quakertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hello Dr Post! I got word that a few responders on this thread mentioned me regarding your interest in post joint replacement training & racing. Thanks tonThomas Gerlach and Don Hensley for thinking to mention me.

Dr post and anyone else on this thread; here are paths to contact me:

Email: s.elwell@cox.net
Cell: 602-499-1133
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/737088499
SteveBay

Instagram: azcrusher

I am happy to share my story and give guidance to anyone seeking it. I am 1 year post TKR as of June 12th. Right now I’m at ~90% of pre TKR performance with a bike FTP of 240 Watts now; was 260 Watts prior. I’m actually faster now because I dropped from 190 to 170lbs so pwr/wt ratio’s gone up! I’m making it one of my key initiatives to inspire others that have gone through joint replacements - that with a great team and hard work you can come back stronger!

Let’s talk!!!
Steve Elwell
USAT Certified Coach
USAC Certified Coach
ACE Certified Group Fitness Instructor
#PWR Cycling Instructor - LTF Tempe Az
Quote Reply
Re: Athletes With Joint Replacement [quakertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With three ACL recons in one knee! That's really bad luck. Plus you likely have some degree of degenerative disease. Have any of your care givers suggested you donate your running shoes to the needy and become strictly a swimmer and biker? I know one who would. Just sayin'.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply