Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What HR Zones for Long 70.3 Training workouts?
Quote | Reply
Hi!

I'm training for a 70.3, goal time of 5:15, previous completion times of about 5:30.

I'm trying to determine what zones to train in for my long workouts - specifically a long run and long brick that I do every saturday and sunday respectively.

I think that my base aerobic fitness is okay, and my muscular endurance is okay, neither are great. If I had to pick one I thought was weaker, I'd say muscular endurance needs more work. Because of the relatively long distance of the 70.3, I don't think force is much of a factor for me.

I'm using Joe Friel's LTHR zones for training, and in my research I'm hearing some advice that says I should train in zone 2 for long workouts, and some advice that says I should be in zone 3. I can't seem to find anything conclusive, which makes me think there is no conclusive answer, but I'm looking for advice on what to factor into my decisions.

I'm planning to race in zone 2 and 3, probably a lot more 3.

So am I better off in Zone 2, or zone 3 for my long workouts?? Does it change from period to period?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: What HR Zones for Long 70.3 Training workouts? [gregnemes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I have been told my coaches is that it is better to run in zone 2 and get tired based on the distance, so you run progressively longer in zone 2 at longer distances and also train your body to use fat as its primary energy source. Unless you are doing progressive runs (where you start at an easy pace and then it gets harder and then easier at the end) you should do this. I usually have pace goals with an HR limit on the long runs....so in short run in zone 2 if you can. I have also read that its preferable to run in zone 2 and then only push to zone 3 later in the race when fatigue sets in. Thats my two cents and hope it helps!!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: What HR Zones for Long 70.3 Training workouts? [gregnemes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I would recommend in the build period working in Z3 if this is where you plan to race at. Friel often reccomends as you get closer to goal race the more important it is to spend time at goal pace/intensity therefore I recommend following these guidelines.
Quote Reply