Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ST FIFA World Cup Thread [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess the players will do what the referee allow them to do. That is why Italian football is different from Scottish.

It is funny to watch the world cup here in the USA. You can tell that football is not made for the US TV. The regular TV sports have time outs and breaks all the time to fit in all the commercials. 90 minutes + of continuing activity is more than normal ;-)

I think one of the players from Iceland is playing for Grashoppers so Switzerland should do fine this year :-)

After Norway stopped playing like Iceland does now, the country has just been horrible. Norway played to its strength in the 90 and beat Brazil in the world cup. Then they tried to play like the big countries and everything went down the hill.

This is why I love Iceland. They know what they are good at, and they are playing to their strength.
Quote Reply
Re: ST FIFA World Cup Thread [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes I think it's also a bit in the culture that the superstars set. It looks as if the it's more important to adopt the style of the greats rather than the training.
In the school where I teach the young footballers all have (or at least want) a haircut like Ronaldo or even Balotelli.

And they might look like divas but one might forget how hard they work and how talented they are. And the ones that can the genius moves and dribbling are really the outliers. So I like it how Iceland doesn't focus on individual prowess but makes sure to cover the other things that make up 95% of the game. And their teamwork.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: ST FIFA World Cup Thread [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is SO cool.
I love when small countries are beating big football nations.

It is also interesting when all the experts have to explain why they were all wrong :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I want to know is what kind of bird is looking to nest in Neymar’s hair!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was really cool public viewing in our small village yesterday.

Switzerland often plays very solid against big opponents and then stuggles against equal or smaller teams. I guess it is easier to play when you have nothing to lose.

So the Serbia game is very important. If we lose we are basically out as I don't see Brazil not make it.

I remember 2010 when we beat Spain 1:0 in the first game. Spain went on to win the thing and Switzerland didn't even make the next round.

But yeah, it's a very good start and we can hope.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: ST FIFA World Cup Thread [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HVP wrote:

These games are great for early morning (west coast, U.S.) long spins on the trainer. Hard interval every time somebody takes a dive.

☝️doing this tomorrow! Genius.
Quote Reply
Re: ST FIFA World Cup Thread [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I wasn't worried there at all during the England v Tunisia game.
England were obviously purposefully waiting until the last minutes of the game to keep the watching fans entertained and on their toes.
Now all us England fans can talk about maybe we can win it all this year - at least until Sunday.
Quote Reply
Re: ST FIFA World Cup Thread [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great finish by Kane on the header, couldn't believe they left him uncovered like that where they had him boxed pretty tight just minutes earlier.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: ST FIFA World Cup Thread [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't watched the game yet - followed on the Live Tracker feed as I "worked".
Will watch highlights later.
From the tracker it sounded very reminiscent of Lineker saving Englands blushes in Mexico '86 (I think).
Quote Reply
Re: ST FIFA World Cup Thread [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tunisia really blew it towards the end.
Coulda got the tie.
Defenderr could have cleared or gotten a throw-in, but choose to try and get a foul or dribble out and ended giving away that corner.
Then, to leave someone like Kane unmarked and have noone on the post was inexcusable.
Quote Reply
Re: ST FIFA World Cup Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Belgians are ready for a strong tournament!
Quote Reply
Re: ST FIFA World Cup Thread [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am waiting for the "Sergio Ramos cost Egypt the World Cup"

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: ST FIFA World Cup Thread [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iran played ugly football yesterday. Eleven men behind the ball, phantom injuries (Watch the goalie after a slight touch by Costa) committing fouls then kicking the ball way down the pitch.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: ST FIFA World Cup Thread [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK...go England!!!! We have the same Queen over here in Canada!!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next