Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can I Make my Aero Road Frame, as fast as my Tri Bike
Quote | Reply
That is the question!

I Have a Felt AR and an IA4, do you think with the proper set up I can make the AR as fast, or close enough to the IA. Here is what I am thinking for the AR:

Seat post flipped to Tri Possition
- Aero Bar: Profile Design Ultimate Aeria with the mounted hydration
- Group Set: Etap Tri
- Wheels: HED Jet 9/Disk
- Breaks: Tri Rig Front and rear
- Top tube bento storage

Full disclosure, I am looking at doing this because I got an offer on my tri bike which would put 2k in my pocket, even after all the upgrades, and with living and racing in mostly hilly mountain terrain, I like the lighter feel of the AR. So, what do you think, can I make a super fast Tri specific bike out of my AR frame??

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Can I Make my Aero Road Frame, as fast as my Tri Bike [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the frame aerodynamics are the issue. Best case it's probably going to be just slightly higher drag but noting huge IMO. My concern would be how it fits you and any handling/comfort problems it may cause plus the drag that may be added by implementing awkward position tweaks.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I Make my Aero Road Frame, as fast as my Tri Bike [Hennessyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The main cause of drag of a bicycle is the meatsack occupying the saddle. A road bike just won't do the job of decreasing the drag of said meatsack as well as a tri bike does. All the little upgrades you do with brakes and bar and what have you pale in comparison to the "bad" (i.e. non-aero) position you'll be in.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I Make my Aero Road Frame, as fast as my Tri Bike [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have to look at stack and reach numbers and see if they can be replicated. I didn't think about it handling poorly.

- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good. The only thing about the ar3 is the slight slope of the horizontal top tube. Which distributes the weight slightly differently than the tri designated bikes. Nevertheless, anyone who’s ridden the Ar3 and pushes over 35kph knows it’s a beast. And if you’ve ridden the ar3 with aero bars and spent considerable time on that bike in aero, you know it’s solid and actually really fast and not as wobbly as one would consider. The only slight wobble I’ve experienced arises when going downhill averaging over 55+kph. But if you can even distribute your weight (I haven’t found it yet as I haven’t converted the bike yet) your gold. Plus, the ar3 is a beast on hills and flat which makes up the majority of most (generally speaking) IM courses.

It’s for this reason I’ve decided to convert my 2015 ar3 into a tri rig. Just can’t financially justify a new full tri bike right now. So I’m going with just the bare minimum for now.

Profile design: 42cm ozero base bar, sonic/ergo 35A aero bars, and 3/one alloy brake levers. I’ll just use the stock 3t stem it came with. Ism adamo saddle. Dura-ace bars end shifters. Yeoleo 88/60 carbon clinched wheelset.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I Make my Aero Road Frame, as fast as my Tri Bike [Engel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, if you like the lighter weight of a road bike.............that Aeria stem is an absolute metallic hunk of meat for weight. It's massive. It weighs more than most fat men eat in a night in steak at a Golden Corral buffet. Not that much, but you get the idea. I'd pay them 50% more money if they sold one in carbon instead.

If money is an issue, dump the expensive tri bike and go home-built on the cheap. A used P2 frameset, used mechanical 11spd, disc cover, do the top tube mod, used Speedplay setup, good aero helmet/suit, etc.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would start with your current seat setback. If you are riding a super steep seat angle, the AR conversion will be more problematic. So for example, if you ride a split nose saddle and the setback is under 3-5cm, you would be very “nose-heavy” on the AR. Another indicator would be if you can ride the AR comfortably in the “virtual aero bar” position for extended periods of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a tririg rear is pointless on an under the bottom bracket brake.
Quote Reply
Re: Can I Make my Aero Road Frame, as fast as my Tri Bike [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can agree with you from an aero perspective, however from an ease of adjustability perspective, it makes all the sense in the world. Breaks under the bottom bracket are terrible from a maintenance standpoint. They get dirty fast, lock up, so on and so forth. Tririg breaks eliminate a lot of that.

On a side note, Ill update you all on how this project went... I was going to go full on with this, than the bike got stolen... So, no longer sadly.

Quote Reply