Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Your experiences/outcomes in carbon repair
Quote | Reply
I found lots of topics about asking for recommendations and for internet diagnoses. I'm looking for outcomes of choosing to DIY or have a shop repair it. Not the flashy online shop photos, but real life user feedback.

I came from the world of DIY turbo race cars, engine builds, head builds, among other things. I got into bikes.

I'm also an engineer and make and follow procedures all day long.

It looks like carbon repair has moved from "back room craft" to now being "mainstream procedure" for your more typical repairs.

I'm in a situation of considering DIY due to the ratio costs to quality and risks. Now, maybe 5 years ago I wouldn't have considered it due to accepted practices not being procedure yet.

Am I crazy thinking that a less complex repair sand and wrap job looks about 100x easier than rebuilding a cylinder head? I mean, I drag raced engines and cars I built up at 160mph. There's always risk involved.

Both in the DIY realm and shop repairs..........whatcha got? Both raw with clear coat and painted.

I'm 100% sure I can do the repair (with materials from a repair shop, not chinabay), but would likely have a shop do some paint/decal work.
Quote Reply
Re: Your experiences/outcomes in carbon repair [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Am I crazy thinking that a less complex repair sand and wrap job looks about 100x easier than rebuilding a cylinder head?

Yes, it does look easier.

Quote:
.......whatcha got?

Some shop repairs are good, some bad, it depends on where the damage is and how good they are at repairing CF. Same for home-based repair. Go for it if you can't afford a new frame.

Was there another question there somewhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Your experiences/outcomes in carbon repair [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Was there another question there somewhere?

Wanted to see if anyone had pics or success stories of the home repair jobs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think if you gotta ask ST how or if to do it, then you shouldn't be doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I don't have any pictures, but yes it is easier than porting cylinder head or building a motor. I am pretty comfortable doing the more lightly stressed areas of the frame. So seat stays, fix a dented area in the middle of the top tube,.. I would never think of doing any part of a fork or a critical high stress area like the tube junctions for the head tube or rear dropouts. That is better left to the professionals.
Quote Reply
Re: Your experiences/outcomes in carbon repair [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Sorry I don't have any pictures, but yes it is easier than porting cylinder head or building a motor. I am pretty comfortable doing the more lightly stressed areas of the frame. So seat stays, fix a dented area in the middle of the top tube,.. I would never think of doing any part of a fork or a critical high stress area like the tube junctions for the head tube or rear dropouts. That is better left to the professionals.

Grumpier Mike turn me on to Hillbilly Carbon repairs and have done several and all have held up fine even on my CX racing bike.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Your experiences/outcomes in carbon repair [rockdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a guy who has rebuild engines and a guy that has fiber glassed surfboards...

building an engine is more a logical process. Piece A fits into Piece B which effects Piece C, etc. Unless you are making a Frankenstein complete vehicle with different components that normally would not fit without super weird splicing and connections and some creativity - putting together an engine is like putting together lego's.

Glass jobs - that is an art form. It is a delicate process. Think specific brush strokes on a painting depending on ambient temperature and the grain of the canvas. Some sculpting involved. it is very easy to ruin the entire painting by not blending 2 colors of paint right on the palate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As another poster has said, it kind of depends on where the damage is, but overall I'd say don't do it. I'm currently working on my masters thesis with a composite repair project, it's a very finicky process and while it could go right, it can all to easily go wrong for a rediculous number of reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Your experiences/outcomes in carbon repair [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
As a guy who has rebuild engines and a guy that has fiber glassed surfboards...

building an engine is more a logical process. Piece A fits into Piece B which effects Piece C, etc. Unless you are making a Frankenstein complete vehicle with different components that normally would not fit without super weird splicing and connections and some creativity - putting together an engine is like putting together lego's.

Glass jobs - that is an art form. It is a delicate process. Think specific brush strokes on a painting depending on ambient temperature and the grain of the canvas. Some sculpting involved. it is very easy to ruin the entire painting by not blending 2 colors of paint right on the palate.

Lol, that's me.

I did my own water meth system and electronics, I completely rewired a toasted set of HID's once (custom wiring to fix), all sorts of weird and "crafty" things.

But, here's an update. I sanded the paint and primer off, and found nothing. I also borrowed a borescope, nothing there. I'm awaiting an updated diagnosis. Inside, it should be near that internal cable run if it were there. Also, the factory layup was pretty clean inside. No "slag" or crap hanging around.

Quote Reply