Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [njredandblack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
njredandblack wrote:
Phil faltered on 13.

Phill cheated on 13 and should have been dq'ed. Bush league move like that doesn't belong on the PGA.
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
Phill Mickellson cheated and should have been dq'ed.

He didnt cheat. He made a decision to have this rule work in his favour.

Was it sportsmanlike? That’s debatable. But it definitely wasn’t cheating.

He knew exactly what his penalty would be and decided that he’d rather take the penalty than play from off the green.

Don’t like the rule?Lobby to change it.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You simply have no clue what you are talking about. A scratch golfer is a 0 handicap and expected to shoot par on every hole. PGA tour player are more like +6 to +7 handicaps meaning They average 65-66 every round. Over a 4 day tournament they would shoot 24- 28 under par.

I have known and played with scratch golfers that could not make it thru Q school on the senior tour let alone the PGA. They wouldn’t have broke 100 today at Shinnecock. Thinking that pros need to be at par or barely under for a tournament is just ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

He knew exactly what his penalty would be and decided that he’d rather take the penalty than play from off the green.

Do you honestly buy that explanation? Maybe. I’ve never seen any other pro ever do anything like that.

If this was strategic, like fouling late in a basketball game, it seems like this wouldn’t be the first time we’ve seen it. I think his head wasn’t in a good place and he was frustrated and he just did it without thinking. That said, The rules issue is that the USGA basically decided to give Phil the most generous ruling they could. They ruled under 14-5 which says a player may not take a stroke at his ball while it’s moving. However, they could easily have ruled under 1-2 which says a player may not attempt to exert influence over the movement of a ball in play that rule has a clause allowing for DQ if it’s a serious breach.

I’m not sure I’d call what Phil did a “stroke,” or an attempt to influence movement. He didn’t really line up, aim, etc. he just tapped the ball to “influence its movement” to keep it from running off the green.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
John Daly did the same thing at Pinehurst in 1999
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

Do you honestly buy that explanation? Maybe. I’ve never seen any other pro ever do anything like that.

If this was strategic, like fouling late in a basketball game, it seems like this wouldn’t be the first time we’ve seen it. I think his head wasn’t in a good place and he was frustrated and he just did it without thinking. That said, The rules issue is that the USGA basically decided to give Phil the most generous ruling they could. They ruled under 14-5 which says a player may not take a stroke at his ball while it’s moving. However, they could easily have ruled under 1-2 which says a player may not attempt to exert influence over the movement of a ball in play that rule has a clause allowing for DQ if it’s a serious breach.

I’m not sure I’d call what Phil did a “stroke,” or an attempt to influence movement. He didn’t really line up, aim, etc. he just tapped the ball to “influence its movement” to keep it from running off the green.

Yeah, he was pissed off when he hit a decent putt and it was going to roll 20 yards off the green. The US Open should be hard but not like putt putt. So he did what any of us would do. He ran down and whacked it toward the hole. Broke the rule, took the penalty. Rule doesn't say he gets DQ'd, which he is probably thankful for.

I doubt he put much more thought into that than,"motherfucker". Just like we do when that happens.

But now I can say I saw Phil do it so it is ok.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His playing partner and others near him said he told the official he had no idea what his,score was now and didnt know what happened next. Phil cheated and lied. But because its FIGJAM he gets 2 shot penalty instead of a DQ. Kind of like how he walked on insider trading....
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get that but everyone out there right now is playing the same course. The PGA didn’t come in mid round and change the hole locations or roll the greens. You can’t control the weather. They are playing the same course

The complaint is that they should have watered the greens after the wind picked up because with the sun, it makes the greens that much faster in the afternoon. If they watered the greens after the morning tee times, they would have played the course under similar conditions. You can't control the wind but you can water the greens which is what Zach was suggesting.
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Broke the rule, took the penalty. Rule doesn't say he gets DQ'd, which he is probably thankful for.

Depends on which rule you decide to apply.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

I was unaware of rule 1-2. I think he was frustrated and he had to know about rule 1-2 as well. So yeah the complete strategy excise is flimsy.

I am still willing to give him a bit of a pass because the course was bullshit today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t know how anybody could influence the movement of any ball other than a putt. Unless you knocked down an opponents ball.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

I was unaware of rule 1-2. I think he was frustrated and he had to know about rule 1-2 as well. So yeah the complete strategy excise is flimsy.

I am still willing to give him a bit of a pass because the course was bullshit today.

But the official said 1-2 didn't apply as there is a clause in it that says if the violation is covered elsewhere in the rules that penalty applies.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
BLeP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

But the official said 1-2 didn't apply as there is a clause in it that says if the violation is covered elsewhere in the rules that penalty applies.

Sure. So you have to decide, is what Phil did covered by the rule that prohibits making a stroke at a moving ball? Was that a stroke? Or was that him tapping the ball to keep it from going off the green? Technically, the club moving in a forward direction with intent to move the ball is a stroke, so like I said, the USGA gave him the most generous ruling.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was essentially the same as what John Daly did. So the ruling was consistent.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get where you're coming from. Most sports inherently have the "if you're not cheating you're not trying" component to it - witness hockey. Golf is a different beast. This is a 'sport' where fat old guys sitting at home watching HD TV can call in a rule infraction and have that enforced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

The rules says that the committee may impose a penalty of disqualification if they deem the infraction to be a serious breach; such a breach would entail the player doing so to gain a significant advantage. Mickelson himself said that's why he did it:

Quote:
“No question, it was going to go down off the green behind the bunker,” he continued. “I wasn’t going to have a shot. I don’t know if I would have been able to save a shot or not, but I know it’s a two-shot penalty, hitting a moving ball.

The committee should have tossed him out on his ass.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh. I just don’t care. The course was unplayable. The USGA are fucking idiots.

Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
We will soon find out what the babies have to say. The leader is 1 under in the house.

You just got your wish. Zach Johnson was just whining. “They Course is past the edge”. Arguement aside on easy vs hard course he sounded like a total bitch. Everyone is playing the same greens.

Except they are not. The wind dried the course significantly during the day, such that those playing in the morning had a big advantage over those playing in the afternoon. A course shouldn't be so "on the edge" that something changes the conditions so drastically.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
We will soon find out what the babies have to say. The leader is 1 under in the house.

You just got your wish. Zach Johnson was just whining. “They Course is past the edge”. Arguement aside on easy vs hard course he sounded like a total bitch. Everyone is playing the same greens.

Except they are not. The wind dried the course significantly during the day, such that those playing in the morning had a big advantage over those playing in the afternoon. A course shouldn't be so "on the edge" that something changes the conditions so drastically.

Yes they did, they cut the coarse WAY to short, the firmness of the ground wasn't the problem, it was the grass. If the grass had been longer the wind would not have had the impact it did.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far today it looks like they overcompensated. Birdies everywhere. Fleetwood is like 5 under thru 7.
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: U S Open (or is the PGA too easy part deux)..... [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
So far today it looks like they overcompensated. Birdies everywhere. Fleetwood is like 5 under thru 7.

Well, Fleetwood is playing like a maniac at 7 under today. Only 15 out of 67 players are under par at this moment. He is so far out in front of everyone, if this was cycling we would say Fleetwood is going to fail the pee test after the round.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:

Well, Fleetwood is playing like a maniac at 7 under today. Only 15 out of 67 players are under par at this moment. He is so far out in front of everyone, if this was cycling we would say Fleetwood is going to fail the pee test after the round.

Yes, that was an incredible round by Fleetwood. I looked up the money, and it literally made him a million dollars compared to where he started the day. He made almost 1.3 mil.

Koepka earned the win, and played great clutch golf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:

Yeah I spoke a little too soon. What a round. I wanted one more birdie just to shut that fat fuck Miller up,for,good
Quote Reply

Prev Next