Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is 3 weeks before Ironman too close for a “trial run” 70.3?
Quote | Reply
Doing my first IM at Louisville on October 14. Would really love to get a 70.3 in before that to nail down my IM pacing, nutrition, and run/walk strategy. The race that fits my work schedule best is 70.3 Augusta which is 3 weeks before Louisville. Is this too close? Of note, I’ve done multiple 70.3’s including Chattanooga last month.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 3 weeks before Ironman too close for a “trial run” 70.3? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Doing my first IM at Louisville on October 14. Would really love to get a 70.3 in before that to nail down my IM pacing, nutrition, and run/walk strategy. The race that fits my work schedule best is 70.3 Augusta which is 3 weeks before Louisville. Is this too close? Of note, I’ve done multiple 70.3’s including Chattanooga last month.

This kind of depends on how fast you recover. I've gone to the two week taper for an IM, so I'd want to be doing one of my longest bike/run weekends two weeks out. If you took a few days after Augusta pretty easy you could probably get in a good weekend of work before tapering. However, maybe you like the three week taper and the race would essentially be your last big workout(s).

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Is 3 weeks before Ironman too close for a “trial run” 70.3? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah fine. Just don't bury yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Is 3 weeks before Ironman too close for a “trial run” 70.3? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about a "trial run" 5-6 hour bike followed by a 1 hour run/walk?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will get all kinds of answers. I would ask you to consider this: if you weren't racing, what would your scheduled workouts be the weekend three weeks out from IMLOU. That's what you are giving up plus any key workouts several days before (assuming you are going for a good time) and several days after when you are recovering. All told, you are blowing a 1 week hole into your ideal training plan at a critical time right before you go into taper (assuming a 2 week IM taper).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say too close and what works for the 70.3 may not work for the Ironman.

Practice it yourself a few weeks earlier. I don't think you'll learn anything from this and it will probably hamper you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[quote]Would really love to get a 70.3 in before that to nail down my IM pacing, nutrition, and run/walk strategy[/quote]

dumbest idea I've heard today, although it's still early.

There is the best response on this thread: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6656286#p6656286

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Is 3 weeks before Ironman too close for a “trial run” 70.3? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d probably space a 70.3 and 140.6 six weeks apart minimum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always heard during my time in the sport that doing a 70.3 3 - 5 wks out from IM is recommended, to race it and test the fitness. Pretty sure I've done this ahead of every IM. In fact, I did 2 x 70.3s in one weekend three weeks before an IM once and it was podium finish w IM swim and bike PR on tough course.

Will concede that everyone is different, but it seems like it should incorporate well into training since you often back down on volume and up on intensity in between the mega weekends near the end of an IM build. That's a good time to pencil in 70.3 on tired legs to test the fitness, no? Assuming you aren't on the edge of injury and recover fairly well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:

I just did a 70.3 three weeks before an IM, not to help with IM training but because the 70.3 was my favorite local race and I didn't want to miss it. I continued with my IM training routine up until three days before the 70.3 and then scaled back a lot for those last three days. After the 70.3 I took 3 easy days to recover and then put in 4 final, big IM training days. That plan seemed to work fine for me, though I didn't think the 70.3 did anything to benefit my IM racing. Since you've already done multiple 70.3s, I don't know that you'll get any benefit from doing another one 3 weeks before IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very individual, I have done with 2 weeks in between, but did the run deliberately slow. That might be an option for your. All out swim and run, but take it easy in the run, as this will take the most recovery.
Quote Reply