Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vancouver 5i50
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know what happened to this race? I did it in 2016 but don't see it on the race calendar for 2018.

Thanks,

Cam
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver 5i50 [blueQuintana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It never happened last year and turned into a one and done.

I reckon the costs of running the race with where it was held were too high relative to the number of participants such that it didn't make sense economically to continue to put it on, which is unfortunate, as it could have been developed into a pretty iconic event IMHO. Not too many opportunities to do a race in an urban setting like this where you have mountain and skyline views during the swim, get to rip around a park and then have a trot alongside the ocean.
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver 5i50 [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As dale3 said, the 5i50 only took place for one year at that location (the race was held as a 5i50 for two years at the old Jericho beach location). They never really formally announced why the race was cancelled, but it's likely dale3 is correct. It is too bad, as there was a long standing race held at Jericho - including a half distance, olympic and sprint race - that has now been killed off.

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver 5i50 [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah it's too bad this is gone. I spectated 2016 and wanted to do it in 2017. It was likely too disruptive in a key tourist area during a busy time. This was held right near the cruise ship docks and the area can get quite congested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kinda mad that they killed of the Jericho race - that was perfect
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver 5i50 [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I recall correctly, Ironman acquired the LifeSport race series, a number of great local events that were all very well organized with a grass roots feel, then essentially over a period of a few years discontinued all of the races with the exception of the Victoria Half Ironman, which is really what I reckon they were after in the first place. It is too bad as it leaves locals with fewer options and alternatives for short course racing in the Pacific Northwest.

I would love to see LifeSport fire up a series again, however, I reckon it is doubtful with the Dynamic Events having expanded a bit over the last couple of years.
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver 5i50 [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dale3 wrote:
I would love to see LifeSport fire up a series again, however, I reckon it is doubtful with the Dynamic Events having expanded a bit over the last couple of years.

Or convince Joe and Angie to do a Dynamic event at Jericho? The old course was awesome. Locals don't need the pizzaz of Stanley Park and finishing at Jack Poole plaza, which I'm sure cost a mint, we just want a decent course.
Quote Reply
Re: Vancouver 5i50 [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, from what I've heard, a combination of the cost and administrative hassle involved with putting on an event in Vancouver, even at Jericho, versus Oliver or Nanaimo or Cultus just doesn't make sense.

The being said, the numbers at Nanaimo looked pretty slim this year, so I wonder how long that race will last... I would love to see that race move to Julyish, after Dynamic's Oliver event and before Victoria... mid may for an open water triathlon event is pretty early and a bit of a gamble weather wise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard they expected 2000 to sign up, and got 600 people. Expensive to put, not enough interest. Not sure why. It was a fantastic race.
Quote Reply