Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone order furniture from Wayfair or similar?
Quote | Reply
I'm kind of particular about what my furniture looks like. Because of that, it can be hard to find stuff I like with the limited selection in stores. Wayfair gives me several hundred options but it is hard for me to order furniture online and assume I am going to like how it looks in person versus a couple/few pictures online.

Anyone have success with this? Or failure?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone order furniture from Wayfair or similar? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
I'm kind of particular about what my furniture looks like. Because of that, it can be hard to find stuff I like with the limited selection in stores. Wayfair gives me several hundred options but it is hard for me to order furniture online and assume I am going to like how it looks in person versus a couple/few pictures online.

We (well, my wife) have ordered a bunch of stuff from there - most recently patio furniture - and it looks pretty much as it does in the website pics, and the quality is decent. No complaints.

PSA - they also own Birch Lane, and she saved a good chunk of $ buying our patio firepit and 4 chairs there instead (exact same product as at Wayfair)

Edit - I found out after the fact that you can open a business account or something at Wayfair and save even more $
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Jun 13, 18 11:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrs. MWR is picky as hell about how things look. (Mind you, it's how they look that she's concerned about, not how they're constructed for the long haul.) She's ordered a few things on Wayfair and they've been pleasing aesthetically for her. The quality has seemed sufficient enough to be sturdy, but the finishes might not be awesome in the long run (perhaps not the most durable paint/surfaces to stand up against scratches or wear). For the money, much better than Ikea in our experience.

Edit: Piece of advice. Measure, measure, then measure again. Mrs. MWR ordered one piece, didn't measure, and thought it wasn't quite as large as she wanted it to be. It still worked out because returning it would have been cost-ineffective, but she wasn't as happy as she would have been with the perfect size. Measure thrice.
Last edited by: MidwestRoadie: Jun 13, 18 11:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have recently gotten a few things and it has worked out well. Just know that return cost is on you. Very pricey on big bulky furniture and decor. We were a couple hundred dollars into return shipping before my wife got what she wanted. Wayfair, Hayneedle, and a couple others are the same company
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife orders from there frequently. Customer service is good, but returns get expensive. Quality is good for the price point.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We must have similar tastes. Ive been wondering the exact same thing.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, the problem is the returns. My wife is picky and she has learned the hard way not to order furniture online. She likes the selection, but they never quite lived up to what she thought she was getting. Most of the stuff we sold on Craigslist at 1/4 what we paid for it because returning netted us even less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife purchased a couch online, not sure who it was with. It looks very nice, but it is very uncomfortable. I won't be buying furniture online again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If all you're worried about is what it looks like, it should be no problem. Me, if it's a couch or something I'm going to be sitting on I've got to try it out in person to see what it feels like.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've bought from Wayfair, Houzz, and similar. If you're really picky then I wouldn't do it. They have generous return policies in that they don't charge restocking but you're on the hook for return shipping which can be astronomical on something like a couch where you can't even use UPS/FedEx. You'd have to hire a freight company and having them pickup from a residence isn't cheap.

I think for things like patio furniture or even tables, it would be ok. But for things like couches or anything with a cloth/leather/fabric surface where texture matters, I'd be wary. It's really hard to capture texture in pictures and you won't know how it feels until it arrives.

I've bought things like patio furniture, a pergola, bookshelves, planters, shower fixtures and all were fine. All of them looked exactly like the picture detailed so no surprises.
Last edited by: jkuo: Jun 13, 18 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love Wayfair and Houzz and RealModern and have ordered from all. At the beginning of the year I ordered a couch from Joybird and got to pick everything out. Love it. My taste is midcentury modern so all of the above works way better than anything local.

https://www.instagram.com/...n2/?taken-by=ironclm

Chairs and TV stand from Wayfair.

https://www.instagram.com/...zd/?taken-by=ironclm

Coffee and side tables from the new Target line.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: Jun 13, 18 13:56
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone order furniture from Wayfair or similar? [jkuo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My problem is I am picky about both looms and quality. I know why furniture stores can't stock 100 beds and dressers for me to look at but I want more choices.

Mayfair gives me choices on looks but not being able to see it makes me nervous. I may have to look at this bed for 20 or 30 years, it would be nice if I liked it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just ordered 3 bathroom vanities and a couple of different light fixtures. Quality has been good. Not top notch, but better than big box stores and at a cheaper price. Hold off until a good sale day, like maybe Fourth of July or Labor day. We did ours on Memorial Day sale and saved a couple hundred dollars on what we would have paid.

Big shout-out to their delivery service. We were a little bit worried about having large pieces of furniture delivered when we were not home. But these guys have taken customer service to a new level on deliveries. You get numerous emails and as the day/time gets closer they keep narrowing the window. Starts out it could be these 2 to 3 days, as it get closer turns into this 1 day, then a 6 hour time frame the day or two before, then that day or evening before we got a email saying our would be the second delivery on the route which took that 6 hour window down to 1 hour. Then the driver called us 30 minutes out. You can select for them to leave it at the front door or in a garage/carport. After he dropped it off at our front door we got an email photo of the package sitting on our doorstep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered patio furniture from them. Quite happy.

The only issue is that the cover which we ordered separately is taking forever to get here (Canada is still a backwater in terms of delivery speed on some things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I only ordered a few things from Houzz that was assemble yourself stuff Ikea style. Nothing came undamaged however customer service was good in dealing with it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what your definition of quality is. If you are fine with particle board & 1 step above Ikea, you'll be fine. It isn't built to last generations, but then again what is today?

I prefer mid century + modern & have bought some bathroom vanities from Houzz & Wayfair: both very nice, much better grade than Home Depot level, and there are enough styles for you to get exactly what you want.

But for quality I prefer to buy the originals off 1st Dibs or Chairish. Or CL or Estate Sales. Especially Ello, Herman Miller, etc: there is a reason the originals are still around & looking great after 40-60 years.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply