Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note - I am assuming your home federation is reciprocal . . . I have never looked into anything other than USAT. Let me know if you need anything else. You will love it and I think things are actually pretty easy.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Anna s: Jan 1, 19 23:55
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roth Bike question for you Roth people...

My first Roth this year. Excited but nervous with the logistics.

I've done two IMs before, and feel that this might be my last full distance. I'm a 12-13 hour finisher. Previous IMs (approx 1200m total elevation) have been on my Tri-Bike, (2013 Slice), which has served me well, but I'm always nervous about getting a mechanical that I can't fix.

My main goal for Roth is to finish and enjoy the whole experience. That being said, should I just bring my trusty Road-Bike, which I train on and am less nervous about? Just get some aero-bars and use my race wheels? Elevation would point more towards the Road Bike?

Thanks all...

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can’t speak to your nerves but I did Roth on my tri bike and I don’t remember seeing any road bikes there. There must have been some but I didn’t notice any.

There are a couple of steep climbs and a surprisingly lot of climbing for a relatively fast race. But I also spent a lot of time on the aero bars so I think there’s def a benefit to that.

I’d say it can’t hurt (much) being on a road bike esp with clip-ons and if it’s important to you then by all means use the road bike. I think you’d have to give up some time but if you only care about finishing then do whatever makes it the most fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that and I think I should lean back towards the Tri-Bike then. It's served me well, so I should trust it more.

Race-day logistics always worry me, but I'll just try and go with the flow. Drive to swim start early and worry about the rest later.

Anyone now when race numbers are released?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roth is CLEARLY a race to use the tri bike.

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, much appreciated and tri-bike it is then!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey maybe this isn't the right place to ask but I am debating with using a disc wheel vs 80mm for Roth, would you guys recommend it ? I know pros and elites always run disc at Roth....
I've only done 1 IM - IM France where disc wasn't even a question with the climbing involved there.
BBS estimate with my numbers are around 5h20 if that helps to answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [henritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have it, absolutely. Although, keep in mind if you haven't been there before, it is a bit hillier than most people think.

FYI - I biked 5.24 there last year.

David
Last edited by: david: May 23, 19 6:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would absolutely ride a tri-bike. Last year was somewhat windy and being in an aero position was much better. Some hills, but definitely as race for a tri bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [TimW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race numbers are out! This thing's getting real...

I'm a late starter at 7:55am, which kind of sucks but never mind.

Info pack says everyone to arrive at swim start by 4:50am - that's a long wait.

But...

I could plan to get the last Shuttle Bus from Roth to swim start at 5:40am, which probably means only two hours of prep/waiting around.

I could drive in, but in order to get parked, I'd probably have to get to swim start even earlier, so even more waiting around.

Or I could get dropped off as close as possible, but would roads be messed up towards 6am?

Also, can't see what time Transition closes on race morning - anyone know?

Thanks all...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slightly off topic, A buddy of mine and I will be flying in through Frankfurt and staying in Nuremberg. Looking to take a DB Ice train from FRA airport to Nuremburgh. Looked online but didnt find anything definitive. Does anyone know if the train would be able to accommodate our two bike cases and two large luggages?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
Race numbers are out! This thing's getting real...

I'm a late starter at 7:55am, which kind of sucks but never mind.

Info pack says everyone to arrive at swim start by 4:50am - that's a long wait.

But...

I could plan to get the last Shuttle Bus from Roth to swim start at 5:40am, which probably means only two hours of prep/waiting around.

I could drive in, but in order to get parked, I'd probably have to get to swim start even earlier, so even more waiting around.

Or I could get dropped off as close as possible, but would roads be messed up towards 6am?

Also, can't see what time Transition closes on race morning - anyone know?

Thanks all...

There is plenty of parking at the swim start. If you get there at 5:30ish there would be no issue at all parking and walking over to transition.

They charge for parking though, I think it was 5eu. But I don't remember exactly
Last edited by: g_lev: Jun 19, 19 9:11
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that, I'll probably just drive to swim start then.

Anyone know what time transition closes on race morning?

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [ItaloBrit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two questions, both low priority:

- can one partake in the friday swim BEFORE registering? I get in thursday evening and I'm closer to the swim start than registration it would be nice to get the swim in that morning and before going to Roth and registering. Not a big deal if I cant get the swim in Friday morning, just curious.
- can one take their bike on the S-Bahn between Roth and Hipolstein? I am aware there is a shuttle between Roth and the swim start after the race, but my Airbnb is very, very close to the train station in Hipolstein so it would be great to not have to mess with the shuttle and give space to those who may need it more than I post race

Thanks!

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth race day logistics Qs [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Yes. Get there early and parking is easy . . . later on it is quite busy.
2. I think so, but not sure.

It is a wonderful event - enjoy!

David
Quote Reply

Prev Next