Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Paris Roubaix Cyclotourisme
Quote | Reply
Just back from riding the 2018 edition of the Paris Roubaix Cyclotourisme. Ride was 200k, including all the cobble sections from the pro race.

I’ve gotta day this was one of the most fun days I’ve had in a while. The cobbles are so much rougher than they look on tv, some downright violent! I was a little timid at the outset, but found my rhythm after maybe 10 sectors and enjoyed hammering the rest.

Well organized, low key event held every 2 years. Bike geek factor was pretty high, so it was a fun few days. A different organization runs a more popular (and crowded) sportive the day before the pro race each April.

Best sighting was a team of older guys from Italy (maybe in their 60s and 70s), riding old school with speed and style. Wooden rims, single speed, pre WWI frames, wool jerseys, goggles.

If you have a chance, it’s worth getting out there. I can’t wait to do it again.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Paris Roubaix Cyclotourisme [Simple Stevie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it 3 and a half times. Last time had 3 flats and lost all faith in the bike so since I've done the full ride 3 times before I did not care anymore. It was after Wallers anyway :)

If you ever want to have decent stuff at the stops (ravitaillement) then this is your ride. French sausages and cheese in good baguettes. At one stop there was a kind of BBQ. And the sensation at the velodrome or in the showers is a bit magical as well. Maybe I should go back, it's been a few years now :)
Quote Reply
Re: Paris Roubaix Cyclotourisme [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, you got to go in the showers? Did the challenge sportive day before pro race this year and we were not allowed in the showers! Probably because there were several thousand of us! But we did get priority passes for the middle of the track day after and had an awesome day cheering Sagan over the line. With beer. Beautiful times.

Velodrome finish is a bit special. Especially when your big brother, whose arse you had literally dragged around the whole damn ride, plays possum in the last km only to try and take a jump on you as soon as you hit the boards, but then you get back on his wheel and then take him by half a wheel over the line. Can't buy that.

Them cobbles don't half hurt though.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jun 15, 18 15:05
Quote Reply
Re: Paris Roubaix Cyclotourisme [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this event is always in the beginning of June and as far as I know is one of the only events that allow it. Always try a different shower booth :)
Quote Reply
Re: Paris Roubaix Cyclotourisme [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, only every other year. I’m ready to go back! Hands still hurt...
Quote Reply