Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sprinter vs. Endurer?
Quote | Reply
I am curious to know if there is a test or some more scientific way to determine if one is more of a fast twitch person vs slow twitch, rather than using run pace equivalent calculators and guessing. I am fairly certain I already know the answer for myself (sprinter) based on how I feel when running short vs. long and off varying calculator method with my current PRs but I am also wondering if there are varying degrees of this so I can track myself as I try to move more towards endurance. I know I can't change it too much but for what I can train, I'd like to know I'm making progress.

Second question: I am assuming that if you are a fast twitch person that applies to both running and cycling? I've always felt my 20 minute FTP tests are not realistic to what i can do for an hour and I have kind of tested that on a couple 40k TTs (of course, being a weaker cyclist that ends up being 1:05 instead of an actual hour) where I can't hold FTP for that full ride, gassing out in the last 15-20 minutes.

Thanks!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Sprinter vs. Endurer? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wingate test (30s max power output on a cycle trainer) or Lydiard's 200m all-out. I once came across his times that determine if you're a sprinter, middle-distance or endurance runner, but unfortunately I never bookmarked it. I think he had factors for age and gender as well.

Having a fast twitch % out at the far end of the bell curve means you won the genetic lottery. Doesn't matter the sport. The endurance side is readily trainable; top speed or power, not so much.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Re: Sprinter vs. Endurer? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One approach:

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/power-profiling/

(Note: Ignore the date and redundant use of both "Dr." and "Ph.D"...the text and idea are from a post I made to the wattage list ca. 2002. That means that it predates Sufferfest's '4DP' by about a decade-and-a-half.)

Another alternative (if you own WKO4):

http://www.wko4help.com/fibertypev

An even deeper dive:

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/search/label/physiology

Finally, you can also search the web for various vertical jump tests, etc., that are predictive of muscle fiber type. Note, however, that none of them are especially accurate (OTOH, neither is a biopsy, for that matter).

As for your last question, running depends more on the gastrocnemius and cycling upon the thigh muscles, but fiber type is at least modestly correlated across muscle groups, so if you are particularly skewed in one leg sport, you will likely also be skewed in another. That said, there is more to how much your power falls off between 20 min and longer durations than muscle fiber type...in fact, absent additional information I would not assume that you are necessarily a fast-twitcher from the info you have provided.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jun 12, 18 11:25
Quote Reply