Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replace Zipp 440 front wheel with 303 or 404?
Quote | Reply
Hello,
I am looking for a little advice.

You won’t believe it but I am racing an early 90s Zipp 440 front wheel with a Mavic 501 hub and there is mechanically nothing wrong with it. It is paired with a 404 rear wheel.

However, it might be time to upgrade my front wheel.

My frame is a QRoo Lucero which has a rather short wheelbase of 97.8cm.

The traditional wisdom says, “deeper is faster” regarding rims. But looking a the aero data I found ( https://www.tour-magazin.de/...2989125/2989149.html ), there is hardly any difference between the Zipp 202, 303, and 404. But taking this and the wheelbase into account, I am not that certain.

What would be your recommendation on the wheel combination? And what important pieces I am missing?

Thank you,

Guido

P.S.: I was not abel to find any aero data on the old 440. So I have no idea how bad it actually is compared to newer wheels.

Edit: "Hardly any difference" up to 8 degrees of yaw which would translate to an approximately 7km/h crosswind at 40km/h riding speed.
Last edited by: GuidoK: Jun 10, 18 19:11
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Zipp 440 front wheel with 303 or 404? [GuidoK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea about your question but I still 'race' a 440 on my QR Seduza. Its solid as a rock and the hub (sansin?) still spins super smooth.
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Zipp 440 front wheel with 303 or 404? [GuidoK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the biggest problem is getting a narrow tire with low rolling resistance. Even the Supersonic 20 a bit on the wide side for the old 19mm rims and it is pretty much a race only tire.

One of the things that is not captured in wind tunnel testing is watts to spin Deeper wheels have shorter spokes and this is one of the key reasons why deep wheels are faster in just about all conditions.

HED Jet 6+ is a super all around wheel. Fast, stable, wide and apparently pretty robust to different tire choices. 850$ from Excel sports using the SAVE15 code for first time buyers.
Quote Reply
Re: Replace Zipp 440 front wheel with 303 or 404? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tyres are actually something I did not take into account. I run 23mm in front since it it, as you said, hard to find anything narrower.

Thank you!
Quote Reply