Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tired of Racing? [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im young still , but this is year 19 for me ... and Im totally the reverse. Put me on a line. I love big races .. Give me thousands of people... and a bbq at the end.

Training, eh I can get tired of. I want vacations, I want breaks, and still figuring out how to balance it.

But racing... I just want to race and race and race. I get through training weekends (especially my long runs) but Im happy during races (well, long course... I survive... but short course Im happy!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep...in fact did my last tri yesterday (Sunday) after 25 years in the sport. Still like training but like you, i just grew tired of the hassle of races. I just don't get excited by racing any longer so why spend the time, cost and effort to travel when i could be doing something else. Pretty much everybody i started racing with decades ago has moved on and time for me now as well. Trying to convince myself it is like turning chapter to new things...maybe some Gran Fondos and MTB races but ones that are low key and fun. I would really love to try bikepacking with a fly rod as well.

I have to say my last race yesterday was a blast. No watch, no bike computer and just enjoyed it. And strangely i had a great race and won my AG. So maybe that tells me something right there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been doing tri's since 2001... my love for racing peaked between 2003 - 2011. Now? Meh. I've been doing fewer and fewer races the past few years. And this year? I trained like I was going to do a half but never registered. Why? I always drive and race by myself, I don't know anyone else there. The whole logistics of driving, setting up the transition area, all of the small talk, the mass swim (I'm a swimmer, relatively speaking, so I just start at the front/side and stay away from as many as possible)... The novelty of it all is gone. Plus, I have to bike train and I don't *love* to bike... it's ok.

I love to swim and run though. And I train six days a week, doing two-a-days twice a week up until last week when I realized I'm not going to race this year. That's when I dropped the bike training. And you know what? I'm fine with it. Maybe, I'll get my race mojo back, but in the meantime I'll enjoy the training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:
Anyone tired of racing?

After 2.5 decades of triathlon, I still love a morning swim, an eyeball-bleeding 30/40mi. training ride, a good trail run 2-4x/wk., and a combination of the three a few days of the week. But the entire... "$fee, pack-up, travel, transition area, travel home, unpack thing" has faded to a mere flicker for me. Anybody else?

A race seems to spoil a good training weekend.

I’m the exact opposite

I don’t train unless I have a race in the next month or two

Did my first race Lake Placid 35 years ago.

Now I train as little as possible and only bike 4 times a month. I do lunges during the week to simulate the bike

ooh how I like the stress and anticipation of racing. I feel it a month in advance. That’s what motivates me to train. BUT I only do sprints so maybe that is why
Last edited by: RBR: Jul 1, 18 9:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been racing 33 years and still love it. I don’t travel for races but travel as part of my work and non-work life. The result is that I race in Arizona, Nova Scotia, and Singapore. I race 15 or so times a year. So far in 2018 2 tris, 2 duathlons, 2 mtn bike, 1 trail run, 1 road race.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: Tired of Racing? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Noooooooo. I love to race and be home by 10 or 11!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:
Anyone tired of racing?

After 2.5 decades of triathlon, I still love a morning swim, an eyeball-bleeding 30/40mi. training ride, a good trail run 2-4x/wk., and a combination of the three a few days of the week. But the entire... "$fee, pack-up, travel, transition area, travel home, unpack thing" has faded to a mere flicker for me. Anybody else?

A race seems to spoil a good training weekend.

Ditto. (Well, I only raced for 1.5 decades.) My last race was 2012 IMMT. An absolutely wonderful experience. But since then I haven't felt motivated to race. Love training though, and still swim, bike, and run about 10 hrs/week. I think that's a fine way to enjoy the sport.
Quote Reply

Prev Next