Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Poll ... which makes less noise during shifts...electronic or mechanical
Quote | Reply
We were chatting about today’s ride and a guy said yeah I heard you up shift so I knew you were getting ready to jump. Got us talking about which made less noise telegraphing your intentions... mechanical or electronic.

Thoughts ?
Quote Reply
Re: Poll ... which makes less noise during shifts...electronic or mechanical [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For front shifting, electronic is quite a bit louder.

For rear, I'd say that mechanical is probably louder, but close. Shimano mechanical seems quieter than SRAM mechanical.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll ... which makes less noise during shifts...electronic or mechanical [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for me, electronic has been markedly quieter. i was just thinking about this yesterday on a long ride. i've had it for 1.5 years and still really like it.
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends more on the chain and cassette than the shifting mechanism (derailleur)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shifting to a smaller cog in the rear should be the fastest/quietest shift you can do (independent of drivetrain). Basic rule of attacking is to shift well ahead of the attack specifically to prevent telegraphing.

Big, hollow tubes and wheels definitely amplify drivetrain noise, and the old SRAM powerdome cassettes were incredibly loud.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Poll ... which makes less noise during shifts...electronic or mechanical [rob_bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rob_bell wrote:
For front shifting, electronic is quite a bit louder.

For rear, I'd say that mechanical is probably louder, but close. Shimano mechanical seems quieter than SRAM mechanical.

Clonk! Clonk! Whooooohohohooooooooowoooooo! Clonk! Krrr krrrr! (larger sprockets)

That's me with SRAM RED and Zipp Firecrest rimbrakes. :) Everyone hears me coming.
Quote Reply