Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Elevation accuracy - strava routes or 920 or neither?
Quote | Reply
Just did a 100 mile route I had mapped on strava to have nearly 9k climbing. From the actual ride, 920 netted 7500. Curiosity sent me to MapMyRide and it had the same as strava routes. This is over 100 miles.

I assume the 920 would be more accurate, but perhaps not? What’s the most accurate-ish measurement? (For various reasons I am hoping the 920 is more accurate)
Quote Reply
Re: Elevation accuracy - strava routes or 920 or neither? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
920 should be more accurate. I say should because the barometric altimeter on my Fenix 3 gets clogged with salt from sweat and the pool and goes out of calibration from time to time.

I think DC Rainmaker wrote an article on barometric vs gps based elevation. Found it. It’s a bit old but should be helpful:

https://www.google.com/...-device-gps.html/amp
Quote Reply
Re: Elevation accuracy - strava routes or 920 or neither? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I notice strava always over estimates elevation on any routes I create.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gps/barometric elevation struggles with fine resolution. GPS introduces large (+/-15m) error but is good overall. Barometers drift with changing weather and can have fairly large random errors (~1m) too. What the Garmin unit tries to do* is re-zero the barometer to a known height when the GPS knows it’s got a good fix, when stationary for example. In order to get nice smooth data, this still needs quite heavy filtering.

What Strava et al will do is use mapping data, which relies on, typically, aerial radar/lidar surveys. These are good, but the data you get to play with for free is quite coarse. The grid of spot heights has some distance (say 10-100m) between points.

Myself I’d tend to go with the map for looking at a ride. For aero testing you need a whole lot better data, but that’s another story. :)

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply