Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Boulder or IM Lake Placid
Quote | Reply
I have a choice between IM Boulder and IM Lake Placid for my first IM. I open to doing either race but am leaning more towards IM Lake Placid do to the elevation in Boulder. If you had the choice, which race would you choose and why?
Last edited by: Cer1: Jun 7, 18 16:56
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder or IM Lake Placid [Cer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve done both. I’d go with Boulder. Weather is more predictable than the Adirondacks in July.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder or IM Lake Placid [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live at sea level. Do you think the elevation will be an issue? Oxygen levels in Boulder sit at 83% of what it is in LA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live at sea level as well. The only real challenge is on the swim. But honestly, I didn’t notice any difference. But I’m sure others may have had a different experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done both, and assuming money isn't a deciding factor, I would absolutely do Lake Placid, but it will cost you more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cer1 wrote:
I live at sea level. Do you think the elevation will be an issue? Oxygen levels in Boulder sit at 83% of what it is in LA.

Personally, it took months after moving to Denver to acclimate fully to altitude. That said, Boulder's bike course is easier (though with a few random 180s involved for some reason....)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've lived in both places but raced neither. With that, I'd say do Lake Placid.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder or IM Lake Placid [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve raced both and will be racing Lake Placid next month again. Definitely like Placid better, much more scenic and finishing in the Olympic Oval is way cool. But no problems with altitude at Boulder and Boulder doesn’t sell out as quick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid is a classic race. If you want a true old school Ironman experience being in a small town were everything revolves around the race do Lake Placid. I have done both. LP hands down!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have done both. Live close to Boulder. The only reason I would do Boulder again is that it is in my backyard. Have done Lake Placid 4 times and would much rather do LP.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder or IM Lake Placid [oldtriman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to thread-jack, but I moved to Denver last year and want to do Boulder next year or the year after. Anyone know how many more years IM is committed to doing the event there? Given some of the local push-back wonder if this event will be canceled soon.

Also, FWIW, I travelled out to Denver in peak shape a couple times before moving and didn’t notice the altitude, however i’m Returning after a 6 month break and training/racing at altitude is harder than I expected.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder or IM Lake Placid [Consultri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After living in the Boulder area for 6 years I still notice some difference in the altitude affecting my swim. Think the bike is a wash. Little less oxygen but slightly less air resistance. Boulder doesn't sale out. You can sign up a week before the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I have no idea why IM Boulder (and 70.3 Boulder) have such crappy versions of the bike course. WithoutLimits, another local company has a long course (70.3) triathlon in September that manages to not have any U turns like the IM branded races do (according to the race maps) as they just go a few blocks further east before looping back vs the IM ones that cut earlier and have an out and back U turn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never done Boulder but did Lake Placid last year. The wife and I have been vacationing there for almost 25 years and the place holds many memories for me. It was a no brainer when I decided to do an Ironman. The course is Beautiful and Mirror lake is one of my favorite OW swimming spots. The scenery is to die for and once you ride the first loop of the bike course you will wish you were dead LOL! Seriously the bike is challenging but nowhere near what I had built up in my mind. Keene Valley (Home of the 46 high peaks) is the most scenic riding I have ever done.
I am doing the lake Placid Half IM this year and am seriously considering doing the full again in 2019
Last edited by: choppadude: Jun 9, 18 15:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was 93 F on my phone watching Ironman Boulder today. Last year the bike started in the 50's. It's like a box o' chocolates...ya never know what you're gonna get. FWIW, it was close to record high temps & I felt really bad for the athletes out there suffering. You can tell the ones on top of the nutrition even 3 miles into the run where I watching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having now (as of today) done both, I prefer Lake Placid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consultri wrote:
Not to thread-jack, but I moved to Denver last year and want to do Boulder next year or the year after. Anyone know how many more years IM is committed to doing the event there? Given some of the local push-back wonder if this event will be canceled soon.

Also, FWIW, I travelled out to Denver in peak shape a couple times before moving and didn’t notice the altitude, however i’m Returning after a 6 month break and training/racing at altitude is harder than I expected.

This weekend, the RD said contract just got extended two more years to 2019 - 2020. Registrations were up ~40% this year, highest rate in 3 years so that probably helped keep it alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cer1 wrote:
I have a choice between IM Boulder and IM Lake Placid for my first IM. I open to doing either race but am leaning more towards IM Lake Placid do to the elevation in Boulder. If you had the choice, which race would you choose and why?

After racing IM Boulder yesterday, I'd recommend LP if cost is no object. My swim time was same as usual, bike can be windy and we had that in spades. Run was long, hot and exposed and I currently plan to never do an IM again after that. So if you are interested in more than "one and done," do yourself and favor and opt for LP :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Miami, FL - sea level.
I did IM Boulder yesterday and I didnt feel anything.
I arrived In Boulder, Friday afternoon, less than 48 hrs to the race.
Someone told me that body need 72hrs to feel the altittude. (Aparentely was correct). Or 10 days to acclimatize.
Never been in Lake Placid, but besides the heat (95F) during the run, I liked this event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only done IM Placid but I loved the swim and I thought the bike was very pretty. The run is a great course but it's a tough one with a decent amount of deceptive elevation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
I live at sea level as well. The only real challenge is on the swim. But honestly, I didn’t notice any difference. But I’m sure others may have had a different experience.

I think most will find a difference in the run too. The bike is fast, thin air, not a ton of climbing really. They could make it a lot worse. But IMHO swimming and running at altitude are both noticeable compared to same effort at sea level. I live in Denver.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply