Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up
Quote | Reply
Hello All :)

What's the right way to calculate the average gradient of an uphill route that includes parts with negative slope on the way up ?

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up [90rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a linear equation.
y = a + bx
Since it is the average it is a linear equation.

If you were to break apart the negative segments, ie; say a mountain with 2 small downhill parts on the way to the top then you could use y=e^(a+bx) or y= a + b + cx^2

however, the steepness of the slope would compensate for the decline of the little hills at certain points therefore essentially making it a linear slope when averaged out.
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up [90rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean?

Do you mean the average slope (or grade) of only the actual uphill bits? Ie, how steep is the road while you are going up?

If so, are you trying to answer the question via map data / elevation profile, or via data collected by a cycling computer (GPS watch, altimeter, etc)?

How precise are you trying to be?

In short, I don't think there is one "right" answer. Well, there is....but, you are unlikely to have the data needed to do it "right". So, it come down to how wrong are you willing to be? Which gets back to the purpose of the question. Are you planning/deciding if you should try a route (too steep or not enough?), or looking for bragging rights? ...or?
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
What do you mean?

Do you mean the average slope (or grade) of only the actual uphill bits? Ie, how steep is the road while you are going up?

If so, are you trying to answer the question via map data / elevation profile, or via data collected by a cycling computer (GPS watch, altimeter, etc)?

How precise are you trying to be?

In short, I don't think there is one "right" answer. Well, there is....but, you are unlikely to have the data needed to do it "right". So, it come down to how wrong are you willing to be? Which gets back to the purpose of the question. Are you planning/deciding if you should try a route (too steep or not enough?), or looking for bragging rights? ...or?

Ya I am not a math guy - I literately walked over to my friend who programs the models and does absurdly crazy math wizardry that I could only dream of - and not dream of because I am not even at his level to dream that stuff up - and he said it really depends on how you look at it and what exactly you are trying to do but since you don't have super specific instruments to measure it then you are kinda back of enveloping it anyway so just do it in a linear fashion.
Last edited by: Twinkie: Jun 7, 18 12:00
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I mean like in the below example, 10 km ride generally uphill, from sea level to 1000m height - - - but with declines on the way up

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
90rpm wrote:
I mean like in the below example, 10 km ride generally uphill, from sea level to 1000m height - - - but with declines on the way up

That is the EXACT picture I drew for him. He said calculate it is basically using that straight line. y = a+bx. Linear.

Unless you want to break apart those segments but since it is an average it will pretty much equal that straight line
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah...it depends on how close you want to look. Assuming all I wanted to know was roughly how steep was the uphill portion of a ride I would do something like:

ascent + descent
----------------------
total_distance * (ascent / ascent + descent)

The above assumes that the ascent grade is approximately the same as the descent grade...something which I found pretty reasonable when I lived in Colorado. Sometimes the backside might be considerable steeper (or less steep) than the front side...but, usually they are similar. it also assumes that the end point is the highest point (in other words all descents are followed by an ascent to a higher altitude). So, it won't work for a round trip.

It also assumes that everything uses the same units (feet, meters, etc). So, convert miles to feet, etc. The above can be done using the data available from a typical GPS watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that 1,000m / (total ride run, including declines) is both right and simple.
it takes into account the fact that in the declines one 'runs' but not contributing to gaining of height (the opposite)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
90rpm wrote:

What's the right way to calculate the average gradient of an uphill route that includes parts with negative slope on the way up ?

Thanks!!

What part of "average" don't you understand? ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
90rpm wrote:

Thanks!!

I know it's just joking, but you go ride Mt. Mitchell. A 1/2mi and a 2mi descent midway alters the average from like 4.3% up to a little over 5% if you take those out.

It goes from "only 4%" to realistically a more difficult grade you're spending most of your time going up. Still not Alpine Europe or the Rockies, but still.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
90rpm wrote:
I think that 1,000m / (total ride run, including declines) is both right and simple.
it takes into account the fact that in the declines one 'runs' but not contributing to gaining of height (the opposite)

Yes, it is simple. And if the question you are asking is what is the average slope of the entire ride, then it is "right".

If the question is how steep is the road while I'm climbing, then your approach will UNDER-estimate the uphill slope. The degree of error will depend on how much descending actually occurs. In your example:

1000 / 10000 = 10% average grade

What if those two descents are 100 m each? In that case, you climb 1000m, descent 200m, then climb 200m. So, you've climbed 1200m in that 10km. That's a 12% average grade. But, you also were only climbing for 80% of the total distance, or 8km. So, 1200 / 8000 = 15% grade for the uphill segments. So, when you are actually on your bike and going uphill the difficulty level you feel will be the result of a 15% grade---that's considerably different from 10%.
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
90rpm wrote:

Thanks!!

I know it's just joking, but you go ride Mt. Mitchell. A 1/2mi and a 2mi descent midway alters the average from like 4.3% up to a little over 5% if you take those out.

It goes from "only 4%" to realistically a more difficult grade you're spending most of your time going up. Still not Alpine Europe or the Rockies, but still.

So, what you're saying is you want to know what the average is of ONLY the uphill portions...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
90rpm wrote:

Yes, it is simple. And if the question you are asking is what is the average slope of the entire ride, then it is "right".

If the question is how steep is the road while I'm climbing, then your approach will UNDER-estimate the uphill slope. The degree of error will depend on how much descending actually occurs. In your example:

1000 / 10000 = 10% average grade

What if those two descents are 100 m each? In that case, you climb 1000m, descent 200m, then climb 200m. So, you've climbed 1200m in that 10km. That's a 12% average grade. But, you also were only climbing for 80% of the total distance, or 8km. So, 1200 / 8000 = 15% grade for the uphill segments. So, when you are actually on your bike and going uphill the difficulty level you feel will be the result of a 15% grade---that's considerably different from 10%.
------

I beg to differ; it won't be 12% because if you add the incline you should add the decline too to the calculation and that will even them. Perhaps in such a case, road segments should be calculated *separately*
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

So, what you're saying is you want to know what the average is of ONLY the uphill portions...

Its not clear what the OP desire is. That was the point of my original question back to him.

When I personally evaluate a ride for "difficulty", I usually just figure the ballpark grade based on combined ascent+descent over ride length. 4000up+4000down over 100 miles isn't quite the same as 8000up over the same distance. But, its a damn bit better than ignoring the descents all together. As my legs get older, I sometimes think I'd rather have a steady climb up versus 100 miles of rollers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
90rpm wrote:

Thanks!!

NNAG: Non-negative average gradient.

WAG: Weighted average gradient, where weighting could be based on time, TWAG if like.

NNWAG: Non-negative weighted average gradient.

The possibilities are endless :D

As for plain old average gradient....

Average Gradient = Rise / Run

Rise = (Altitude end - Altitude start)

Run = [(Distance travelled along road)^2 - (Rise)^2 ]^0.5

e.g.
Altitude start = 150 m
Altitude end = 483 m
Distance travelled along road = 3680 m

Gradient = (483-150) / ([(3680)^2 - (483-150)^2]^0.5) = 0.09086 or 9.09%

It's a reasonable approximation for most angles of inclination encountered on roads to simply use the distance travelled along the road as the Run value (since there's not much difference between the values of the sine and the tangent at small angles of incline). It'll very slightly underestimate gradient. For very steep inclines you really need to calculate the horizontal run though.

e.g. (483-150)/3680 = 0.09048 or 9.05%

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
90rpm wrote:

Thanks!!

NNAG: Non-negative average gradient.

WAG: Weighted average gradient, where weighting could be based on time, TWAG if like.

NNWAG: Non-negative weighted average gradient.

The possibilities are endless :D

e.g.
Altitude start = 150 m
Altitude end = 483 m

It's a reasonable approximation for most angles of inclination encountered on roads to simply use the distance traveled along the road as the Run value (since there's not much difference between the values of the sine and the tangent at small angles of incline). It'll very slightly underestimate gradient. For very steep inclines you really need to calculate the horizontal run though.

Can you elaborate on what the "run" calculation is taking into account and why it is needed??? I'm not following at all why the second, simpler calc of 9.05% is not factually correct if we are calc-ing "average grade".

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
AlexS wrote:

e.g.
Altitude start = 150 m
Altitude end = 483 m

It's a reasonable approximation for most angles of inclination encountered on roads to simply use the distance traveled along the road as the Run value (since there's not much difference between the values of the sine and the tangent at small angles of incline). It'll very slightly underestimate gradient. For very steep inclines you really need to calculate the horizontal run though.

Can you elaborate on what the "run" calculation is taking into account and why it is needed??? I'm not following at all why the second, simpler calc of 9.05% is not factually correct if we are calc-ing "average grade".

Because gradient is defined as rise/run. The distance travelled along the road is longer than the run.

Distance travelled is the same as the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle, while rise and run are the vertical and horizontal distances respectively.

As long as there is a non-zero angle of inclination, then Run < Distance travelled.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Calculating Average Gradient of an uphill route that includes negative-slope parts on the way up [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
AlexS wrote:

e.g.
Altitude start = 150 m
Altitude end = 483 m

Because gradient is defined as rise/run. The distance traveled along the road is longer than the run. Distance traveled is the same as the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle, while rise and run are the vertical and horizontal distances respectively.
As long as there is a non-zero angle of inclination, then Run < Distance traveled.

Ah, now that you've drawn the picture of the right triangle, i see what you're saying. The picture is, as always,"worth a 1000 words". Thanks!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply