Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Painting a tt helmet
Quote | Reply
Hi, just got a new A2 (maybe the last medium left 🙄) but here’s the deal. Some of the decals on it are cracking. I was going to do a DIY paint job and stencil. So do I have to remove all the decals? They are not stickers but painted on style.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Painting a tt helmet [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't have to, but if they are raised at all it will affect the look of your finished paint job. My wife painted mine (she has a BFA in painting) about 8 year ago and still looks great. Lightly sanded the surface to allow for better adherence of the new paint, primed it with some fancy painters primer stuff (gesso, I believe), then used acrylic for the design. Topped it all with a clear coat for protection and gloss. Overall it took about a week, but I would think it can be done in 3 days if you're motivated.
Quote Reply
Re: Painting a tt helmet [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As mentioned above sanding and priming would best prepare the surface for painting.

I had a friend paint a goalie mask for me. Sanded and primed before painting. Then I cashed in a favor at a body shop and had them apply a protective coat while they were finishing up a car. I hadn't really thought about it until now but it is still in pristine shape and it has taken a beating. Just getting tossed around in my bag should have destroyed it.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply