Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Honest Honey, I'm Just Going to the Music Store to Buy New Bass Guitar Strings
Quote | Reply
Yeah, no. Go in for a set of new strings for my Schecter Diamond J bass guitar, walk out with a new Fender J Bass (American Professional -- which I definitely am NOT -- Series). Such a sweet, sweet playing bass. Narrow tall frets, rosewood fingerboard, my favorite tobacco sunburst finish and a playability that's Fender all the way. The pickups on this one are funka-licious yet they can also do rock and roll honors with the best of them. I'm going to swap out that pickguard, though, with a black moto (kind of a pearloid) or a straight up black one. Love that combination.

I love what Fender does with the MIM ("Made in Mexico") basses, especially the Geddy Lee and 70s era models (I've got a 70s era one from 2011). But there's nothing like an American Fender bass with the graphite-reinforced neck, serious bridge, and string-through body set-up. And no active electronics (just don't like it). Plus the case it came with is solid as well.

Now, do I just throw myself on the mercy of the wife court or come up with some reason, such as music-playing-as-restorative-therapy, to explain away my total lack of self-control whenever I walk into a music store? At least I've got a few hours before I have to face that particular tolling bell... ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Honest Honey, I'm Just Going to the Music Store to Buy New Bass Guitar Strings [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thats damn purdy! Leave the white pickguard though, looks good!

I was big into music during high school and college, started a decent collection with a Taylor acoustic, Gretsch hollowbody for jazz, and a sweet limited edition Les Paul by Dean. Had a Fender bass too. Still have them all but they rarely get pulled out of the case now. Don't miss the expense, but do miss playing once in a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Honest Honey, I'm Just Going to the Music Store to Buy New Bass Guitar Strings [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:

Thats damn purdy! Leave the white pickguard though, looks good!

I was big into music during high school and college, started a decent collection with a Taylor acoustic, Gretsch hollowbody for jazz, and a sweet limited edition Les Paul by Dean. Had a Fender bass too. Still have them all but they rarely get pulled out of the case now. Don't miss the expense, but do miss playing once in a while.

Yeah, I put 'em down and then pick 'em back up, too. It all depends on if I'm getting together with guys to jam every so often or play out on a weekend warrior basis. Still, it's like riding a bike, in that you don't forget the thing and there's muscle memory to help. But with a bass it takes a couple weeks or so (at least at my age) to get some facility with the hands going again. And those calluses on the fingertips. Can't forget about regrowing those damn things. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Honest Honey, I'm Just Going to the Music Store to Buy New Bass Guitar Strings [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-10 points for calling it a “bass guitar”

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Honest Honey, I'm Just Going to the Music Store to Buy New Bass Guitar Strings [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
-10 points for calling it a “bass guitar”

Oh, I play 'em both. I know the difference. And was told the difference by every guitar player when I decided I wanted to learn to play one. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds familiar, I went in to my local to buy a new tuner for the kid yesterday and walked out with a new martin d28 for me.

I can be frugal though, I usually play guitar but did play bass in one band for a bit and never even bought one, just borrowed one until the rehearsals and gig were done.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need some stuff at the music shop, too

This post is exactly why I STILL need some stuff at the music shop

[I guess ths is also how the folks ... OK ... GUYS, on the Tri-Forum feel in bike stores?]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stay away from the music store thee days..lol
Quote Reply