Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"High" Volume IM Training Plans
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I have been racing Olys and 70.3s for a while and will race my first Ironman later this year or the next. I have tried a bunch of different approaches through the years and have realized that I respond better to more volume/less intensity.

That said, have you guys had good experiences with training plans that are more focused on that? It seems that most plans nowadays are aimed at time crunched or KQ level athletes. I am neither. I looked at some of Gordo Byrn's plans since I like his approach, but his Kona qualifier plan is above my experience and his other IM plans are on the very low end of IM volume at 12-14~h weeks. I can probably squeeze in consistent 18-20h/week, and if my intensity is dialed in I recover pretty well from that load.

If that's relevant, I am around 29-30/2h30/1h33-1h35ish for a HIM.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: "High" Volume IM Training Plans [vittorio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Self coach if you've been training for a while, pretty easy if you just want to do low intensity. Or get trainer road for the bike workouts and work everything else around that.
Quote Reply
Re: "High" Volume IM Training Plans [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about it, and even though I am pretty confident doing it for HIM, I wouldn't know for sure how to best structure my long runs, long rides and long bricks for IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't be too difficult to find a "moderate" plan with 14-18 hours a week of average training, and then just add in a couple extra swims and a couple 1-2 hour easy bike rides a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought and have been using Don Fink's "Be Iron Fit" competitive plan for my first IM. All three levels of his plans in the book are 30 weeks ("Just Finish," "Intermediate, and "Competitive") I can't speak to the efficacy of the plan because I haven't done my race yet, but I'm just 6 weeks out. For the competitive plan, the training volume begins at 8 hours per week and peaks at 20 hours per week. I'd say on average, you're looking at about 15 hours per week. My experience so far has been all positive, so hoping race day goes the same!
Quote Reply