Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Bar Fit issues
Quote | Reply
Just bought some Vision Aero bars via craigslist to fit onto my road bike, but when I got home to attach them I realized that they are made for a 26 mm handlebar and mine is the larger 31.8 mm width.
I also have a matching Vision stem with a 26 mm clamp width so I could just get a new handlebar but I'm trying to do this on the cheap.

Any other alternatives?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bar Fit issues [calitriguy89] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None that I know of, other than grinding or filing the fittings larger dia. to fit the 31.8mm. I've done that for some things (eg stems :) and it works - esp for those clamps there is usually lots of material.

Also for the stem my LBS fitted a pleated shim to upsize a 26mm bar to fit 31.8mm. It's been rock solid. The base bar is just an old school tube bull horn, aero bars clamped on. The setup is my favorite over anything else I have.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy a used pair of 26.0mm bars. You can get a nice vision one for $50 on ebay. Profile design is less. Don't mess with trying to grind or whatever the stem or aerobars to fit.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I was thinking I would have to either get a new handlebar or just different aero bars(not my first choice).

Another question though:

Since my stem is aluminum, and the fittings on the aero bars are also aluminum (i think), is there a problem with getting a carbon handlebar or is it better to just stick with aluminum so that it's all metal-to-metal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't matter. Just get the correct sized bar/stem, and if there's a torque spec tighten to the torque spec.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get new aero bars that fit 31.8. Getting new drop handlebars, tape and a new stem is going to be significantly more expensive than just getting new bars that fit your bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bar Fit issues [caverunner17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He already has a 26 stem and clip ons.

Quote Reply