Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Most Difficult WTC 70.3 Courses in North America [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
I've done 1X St. George and 5X Buffalo Springs. St. George is a lot tougher than BSLT.

Does last Sunday change your rankings?
Quote Reply
Re: Most Difficult WTC 70.3 Courses in North America [JDugan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2017 was the brutal year for NOLA. As a result they moved it from April to November. That move resulted in a cancellation due to more inclement weather. You should have been there in 2017. It was ridiculously difficult.

JDugan wrote:
I did NOLA in 2016. It was pretty rough but its got nothing on Syracuse.

IMO Cuse is the tougher than Tremblant and LP. I did Muskoka years ago and all I remember is constant hills on the bike and rough roads. St George is a beast as well but conditions this year seemed pretty great to me.

My top 3 would be Muskoka, Cuse, St George.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Difficult WTC 70.3 Courses in North America [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:
I've done 1X St. George and 5X Buffalo Springs. St. George is a lot tougher than BSLT.

Does last Sunday change your rankings?

Ha ha, it definitely moved the two races closer together.....but I still think St George was harder!
Quote Reply
Re: Most Difficult WTC 70.3 Courses in North America [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think weather should be considered for this list, as most any race is brutal if the temps get into the 90s. Look at each race for it's course difficulty alone and you get Chatt WC course, St. George, Syracuse all being super tough on the bike or run (or both). Nice 70.3 is probably up there considering the climbing that is done on the bike course. Staffordshire in the UK is a brutally tough course too....

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Most Difficult WTC 70.3 Courses in North America [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather has to be taken into account. Average finisher times take into account all variables. Everything else is subjective.

CPT Chaos wrote:
I don't think weather should be considered for this list, as most any race is brutal if the temps get into the 90s. Look at each race for it's course difficulty alone and you get Chatt WC course, St. George, Syracuse all being super tough on the bike or run (or both). Nice 70.3 is probably up there considering the climbing that is done on the bike course. Staffordshire in the UK is a brutally tough course too....
Quote Reply
Re: Most Difficult WTC 70.3 Courses in North America [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather for sure has to be taken into account, part of what makes Buffalo Springs so tough is it is end of June in west Texas. Move it earlier or later in the year where the temps are much lower there is no way it is the same race.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Difficult WTC 70.3 Courses in North America [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me clarify, average weather like what BSLT has should be part of the analysis, but one off weather years, such as noted above should not be. Average finish time is not a good indicator either, as the depth of fields is never really clear. Pro races are the only real results way to evaluate a race, but not all 70.3s have pro fields.

Having raced BSLT 5 times, I would never rank it anywhere near StG, Staffordshire, Switzerland, StCroix (sad its now gone), Honu or Syracuse. It has a hilly run, but only one hill that is memorable and the bike is fast, fast, fast.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Most Difficult WTC 70.3 Courses in North America [rinliz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rinliz wrote:
I'd throw a vote in for Superfrog. While the swim is quick once you get past the breakers, the two trips through the 4' breakers were EXHAUSTING. Then over 1/2 of the run on soft sand was brutal.

I had a blast but I was never more scared in my life than the Superfrog swim. I could see how that would be difficult for many including the run on the sand.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next