Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Today I let down my friends, my family, IndyCar, our city and my company." [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
j p o wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
Can't tell much from the video, I also wonder if didn't hit the turn before exactly right, so was not coming in at the correct angle and that attributed to it.

Next time i see the corvette guys I see what the thoughts are.

I was also wondering if he lost a bit of concentration coming up on the car in front of him. Not sure he would have expected that guy to be there.

If I were a friend of his I'm not sure I could ever let him live it down. My brother and I haven't raced go karts for over 20 years. He still gives me grief for ending up stuck on the hill.

Yeah, I don't know why that car was there, or if he was gaining on it, or had seen it before entering that series of corners. What was that guy doing so far back on the pace lap?
That was the two seat car just ahead.
Quote Reply
Re: "Today I let down my friends, my family, IndyCar, our city and my company." [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Can happen to the best. A compression taken flat out...............got a bit lairy
Quote Reply
Re: "Today I let down my friends, my family, IndyCar, our city and my company." [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
https://youtu.be/9jSYiU-JdRw

Can happen to the best. A compression taken flat out...............got a bit lairy

I was watching his hands steering out of that and to watch how calm he appeared, how fast he reacted, was amazing. Also, the passenger didn't bat an eyelash but I bet he was shitting his pants.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: "Today I let down my friends, my family, IndyCar, our city and my company." [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

....you've only got so much traction. You can use it for accel/braking, or you can use it for turning. But if you demand more than your tires can deliver, they're going to slip. High hp types have to be very judicious on the gas, particularly coming out of slow turns. The more hp you have to apply, the more one's "line" thru the turn will use a "late apex" technique.

This is what came to mind when I saw this. I've done some of the Skip Barber Hi-Performance Racing School sessions and this is pointed out day 1 in class, and also out on the course. Instructor pointed out that the entire power of a vehicle is only connected to the road surface via the contact patch area from 4 tires - the equivalent of 4 hand-palms worth of surface area. And he had us turn our hands over and look at our palms to have it sink in. Also asked us to think of an imaginary puppet-like string connecting the hands on steering wheel and feet on pedals . . . as you turn the wheel away from heading straight, you need the "string" to be pulling your foot off the accelerator and vice versa. Seems like Reuss put down more power than tires can handle for the position the Corvette was in at that moment.
Quote Reply
Re: "Today I let down my friends, my family, IndyCar, our city and my company." [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

That was amazing. I'd have been terrified.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:

Thumbs up on the drivers' skills there.
A couple of posts up, I mentioned stuff taught at Skip Barber... recoveries are taught as well. But it's one thing to "know" what to do, and another thing to automatically just be able to do it without missing a beat. Pretty sure I would have wrecked.
Quote Reply
Re: "Today I let down my friends, my family, IndyCar, our city and my company." [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is an interview somewhere with him where he says John mcguiness warned him. The bikes hit it at 180 I think and it really has an impact on handling............

I say an interview with Ken block about how hard it was to adapt to rally driving to deal with pace notes and the physical driving. He just could not get it to the same level as ogier

Where as in dakar; alphand, coma and peterhansel all came off bikes in to cars and are amazing and they have said that when you are flat out on a bike riding, progressing your pace notes, being aware, navigating and all that shit by the time you get to a car and someone is helping you its much easier

I think rally drivers have a specific set of racing skills; they seem to spend a huge amount of time at the limits of their grip.

It's interesting
Quote Reply
Re: "Today I let down my friends, my family, IndyCar, our city and my company." [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

....you've only got so much traction. You can use it for accel/braking, or you can use it for turning. But if you demand more than your tires can deliver, they're going to slip. High hp types have to be very judicious on the gas, particularly coming out of slow turns. The more hp you have to apply, the more one's "line" thru the turn will use a "late apex" technique.

This is what came to mind when I saw this. I've done some of the Skip Barber Hi-Performance Racing School sessions and this is pointed out day 1 in class, and also out on the course. Instructor pointed out that the entire power of a vehicle is only connected to the road surface via the contact patch area from 4 tires - the equivalent of 4 hand-palms worth of surface area. And he had us turn our hands over and look at our palms to have it sink in. Also asked us to think of an imaginary puppet-like string connecting the hands on steering wheel and feet on pedals . . . as you turn the wheel away from heading straight, you need the "string" to be pulling your foot off the accelerator and vice versa. Seems like Reuss put down more power than tires can handle for the position the Corvette was in at that moment.

It’s also why corvette is going mid engine. 750+ hp with almost no weight on the rear wheels of a wheel rear wheel drive car just doesn’t work well.
Quote Reply
Re: "Today I let down my friends, my family, IndyCar, our city and my company." [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to 4.08

Quote Reply
Re: "Today I let down my friends, my family, IndyCar, our city and my company." [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to second video I linked. He has driven WRC i believe

That car was doing 150. I think they'd have been scraping me and the journalist off a wall..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given the way the passenger didn't react during the incident I assumed he was the co-driver. I have a buddy who is a co-driver and he is flipping nuts. Despite numerous crashes, his most serious rally injury was when he somehow got sick during an event. I would guess food poisoning over motion sickness. He refused to throw up during the race so he could maintain that steady stream of information and ended up burning his esophagus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, I like the overhead shot starting at 5:10. That gives you a much better sense of how much yaw he was correcting. The really tricky part of that is the hand-over-hand technique, and staying indexed to the wheel. Notice how he kept one hand always at 9 or 3 (except at the very end where he grabbed 6 oclock, which almost looked like a hesitation).

That was one hell of a tank slapper---those are VERY rarely saved by anyone at any speed. The WRX actually has a pretty long wheelbase at 105" (vice the Porsche 911 at 96", or the Miata at 99"), which would help...but, still at 150mph that's just a ton of yaw-rate, and yaw to keep up with cycle after cycle.
Quote Reply
Re: "Today I let down my friends, my family, IndyCar, our city and my company." [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Given the way the passenger didn't react during the incident I assumed he was the co-driver. I have a buddy who is a co-driver and he is flipping nuts. Despite numerous crashes, his most serious rally injury was when he somehow got sick during an event. I would guess food poisoning over motion sickness. He refused to throw up during the race so he could maintain that steady stream of information and ended up burning his esophagus.

Actually in the interview following, he explains that it was a journalist---Chris Cantle from Road & Track. So, yeah...he held it together pretty well considering Mark Higgins called it the scariest moment of his life.
Quote Reply
Re: "Today I let down my friends, my family, IndyCar, our city and my company." [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at the race this weekend and spent some time watching cars take that corner. That whole course is really bumpy. Looked even bouncier than Sebring in places. Coming down the front is a right/left combo and there's definitely a bump in the middle of the left and that's where it looks like he lost it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
You have been on the track, as have I. My daily is a Dodge Challenger Scat Pack. So, I am familiar with high hp, high torque rwd. But, I have never taken it (or any rwd car) on the track.

What do you think happened here?

I'm guessing he went over the hump and loosened up the rear wheels, then gave her into the turn and just lost it. But, the video is a bit confusing.

You should sign up for the SRT experience. Its a blast and you get to drive the Viper, Hellcat and a few others. At the end, you take a hot lap with a professional driver in the Viper of Hellcat.
Quote Reply
Re: "Today I let down my friends, my family, IndyCar, our city and my company." [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was amazing that he continued to focus on where he wanted to be. Not the stone walls he was approaching At 150
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
It was amazing that he continued to focus on where he wanted to be. Not the stone walls he was approaching At 150

THAT was not "so" amazing to me, simply because of the number of times you get to practice it. You get told that on day-1, and EVERY time you (almost) lose control you get to reinforce that instinct---either because you did it right, and saved it, or you didn't. Big slides, small slides, spins, etc. Even just driving, you practice that on every turn. That is as ingrained of an instinct as there is in a driver.

The fact that he didn't give up on it is pretty impressive, but probably speaks to his Rally driving vs. road course driving history. In road-coarse we are taught to lock it down once it gets away from you...that instinct kicks in around the second oscillation. Its better for everyone ELSE for you to slide predictably than to try and guess which way to try and get by. Rally (and TT / IoM, of course) driving you hit things HARD, if you give up. TT format doesn't have the same concerns for cars around you.

Still to me, the most impressive is the number of oscillations he was able to keep up with, and the severity of them. I've been backwards and sideways at 120 mph in my Miata. I've save a couple (including one hand-over-hand save) and I've failed to save a couple. I'm guessing the yaw rates at 120mph in a 89" wheelbase Miata are similar to a 150 mph 106" wheelbase WRX. Things happen VERY fast in that scenario. Just getting the wheel turned fast enough is a feat. Doing it precisely, and reversing directions at the right moment...again at the right rate...and again, and again...That's truly artful and no one wants to (or gets to) practice that very much. Also dabbing the brake as the car cross through Zero Yaw, hugely skillful. Do that wrong, and its over.

All that is just raw talent.
Quote Reply

Prev Next