Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seeking Advice: How to Open a SRAM PowerLock Link
Quote | Reply

I need to remove (open) a SRAM PowerLock link in order to replace the front derailleur. I have spent many minutes attempting to do so. When all else failed I resorted to Leonard Zinn's book. He says how it can be done but that it is practically impossible to do. I am sure some Slowtitchers have a technique that they will share.

Thanks.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Advice: How to Open a SRAM PowerLock Link [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do this and then squeeze the link plates together and tap the end of the link with something like a small hammer or the side of a wrench to force it open:

Last edited by: awenborn: Jun 5, 18 4:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

I need to remove (open) a SRAM PowerLock link in order to replace the front derailleur. I have spent many minutes attempting to do so. When all else failed I resorted to Leonard Zinn's book. He says how it can be done but that it is practically impossible to do. I am sure some Slowtitchers have a technique that they will share.

Thanks.

This...

Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Advice: How to Open a SRAM PowerLock Link [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xing triathlete wrote:
hblake wrote:

Thanks.

This...
The tool makes it super easy... before I bought the tool I bent a coat hanger and put it on each side of the link and used some pliers to pinch it and release... it worked but the above tool makes it a breeze.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were you I would just break the chain and install a new one. Any standard chain breaking tool will work on any of the links. This will also aid in getting the FD set up properly as the shifting won't be sloppy as a result of an old chain.

I do have one of the fancy tools designed specifically for this job but if the power link is really tight you will probably damage it even with the pliers. These links are not designed to be reused and are easily bent.
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Advice: How to Open a SRAM PowerLock Link [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-IRjYjgQBc
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking Advice: How to Open a SRAM PowerLock Link [wdmann4205] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wdmann4205 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-IRjYjgQBc

Brilliant!

/thread
Quote Reply