Except:
  • not getting trashed by a 2 hour rain ride
  • handling being dropped or crashing without missing beat
  • being readable in bright light
  • hooking up to your ant+ devices
  • having a fully customizable screens with lots of different data fields
  • decent battery life with the screen always on
  • being mounted securely to your bike without spending $$$ on a mount

Gee grasping at straws much? Both iPhone and androids are mostly water resistant now. Not sure how often you drop your bike computers and if it’s a selling point but I’m not sure how well a Garmin screen would stand up. Never had a problem reading my phone in daylight? Battery life is easily doubled to 8+ hours. Secure to bike easily for the same price as any other mount...
Last edited by: dunno: Jun 5, 18 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
STP wrote:
Quote:
The phone does EVERYTHING we need

Except:

Gee grasping at straws much? Both iPhone and androids are mostly water resistant now. Not sure how often you drop your bike computers and if it’s a selling point but I’m not sure how well a Garmin screen would stand up. Never had a problem reading my phone in daylight? Battery life is easily doubled to 8+ hours. Secure to bike easily for the same price as any other mount...

But they work like shit when wet, or worse, when wet and cold. I can work my Elemnt with gloves and Raynauds-numbed fingers. My iPhone will interpret sweat dripping on the screen as a tap. And when it's raining, it's game over, because there's no way you can convince the thing that your finger movements are more important than random rain.

But by all means keep writing us off as Luddites. Because you're convinced you're right, and that's fine, and as I said above, it may work for you. But please don't tell us we're grasping at straws when people that have actually tried it tell you about the things they didn't like.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just try it out for a couple of weeks and decide if you prefer it over a dedicated bike computer already. Be warned to make sure you have unlimited data plan though as running GPS constantly will use it faster than you realize (yes, even Strava app is running GPS for tracking).

Also, my phone is gigantic and not practical for using as a bike computer. Have a Motorola Z Play which is a 5.5" screen but battery life is one of the best out of all phones. Plus I have the Moto attachment for an extra battery pack (but it makes the phone feel as thick as an old school Nokia 6100 series phone with a extended battery. It is not waterproof (a bit water resistant to some sprinkles but you don't get caught in rain unless it is fully encased in a waterproof case/container). Most phones are not waterproof except the flagship ones that are close to $700-1000 price range anyways (both apple and android offerings).

That an trying to see the screen in direct sunlight with polarized sunglasses is like trying to see after turning on the lights when it is pitch dark in the room....not really much you can make out quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't be a damn fool man! Who would want a small, simple, compact device which can simply be attached and removed from a convenient place on your bike without the need for a cable or an extra battery pack, that performs the function you require perfectly well? Who the hell needs that?!

Hell, my mobile phone is not anywhere near as powerful as my Core i7 water cooled gaming PC. It is like comparing a chalk board to a super computer! And what kind of bloody simpleton wants to look at a tiny 5.9 inch screen? I'm fixing up a bracket to mount my alienware on my bars with a 62 inch curved OLED. Ok, I might only get 19 seconds out of my 2kg torch battery but it looks so goooooood. Think how many data fields I will be able to display, and with what colour depth and resolution, while I plough my bike into the back of a tractor towing a combine harvester.

Or... a simple device that does what you need.

dunno wrote:
please shoot some holes in my idea?

You don't really mean that, do you?

Another day on the internet...

"Here's my idea. Give me your feedback"
"Here's my feedback"
"No, not that feedback. Give me the feedback I want "

Look, it is a horses-for-courses thing. And the Garmin 1030 you reference is at the very top of the spectrum... a Wahoo Bolt is no where near that kind of money, so that argument is specious.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jun 5, 18 7:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My iPhone is not waterproof (yes, I am due for an upgrade . . . .)

Don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone. It is pretty much glued to my hand when I am off the bike. But, it is a phone and electronic communication device. It is great at those things and, while I need those things often, I do not need them "on demand" on my handle bars when I am riding, and an iPhone is only so-so as a bike computer so the phone stays in my pocket in a zip lock.

My Garmin 510 is admittedly a much more narrowly tailored device, designed just to gather data from a couple sensors, record and display the data for me and also track my position with GPS. But, that is all I need on the bike and the Garmin is specifically designed to do those things in literally any weather conditions from the dead of winter to the hottest summer day through rain, snow, dirt, dust and sweat drips, its simple controls can be operated easily at 25 mph in pack of riders on a rough road with whatever gloves I may have on my hand and the electronics are inside a bomb proof physical package to boot (when was the last time you heard of someone physically breaking a Garmin?). The Garmin does what it is intended to do very very well, much better than my iPhone can do those things.

A special purpose tool is always better than a general, do all tool if your use case fits the special purpose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
STP wrote:
Quote:
The phone does EVERYTHING we need

Except:

How are any of those points grasping at straws?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phones aren't designed to be "screen always on" devices - if you've ever tried to use a phone in the middle of summer on a hot day for extended times, you might run into an overheating error message as the device warms up.

In addition, few phones will get 8 hours of SoT (screen on time). Most get 3-5 of SoT, worse as the phone ages. This also doesn't account for the large increased power usage that rural / mountain riding has as it has to increase the power of the receiver as it searches for signal. Finally, you'd have to have a pretty fully charged device to go for a longer ride. I can grab my phone after work at 30% and not worry about it dying on my ride. If I used it as a GPS, no way could I do that.

That's also the nice part about a dedicated bike computer: it's pretty much always charged. I ride 2-3 days/week for 90-120 minutes. I can usually go 2-3 weeks without charging my Garmin Edge. Same thing with my Garmin Forerunner. I can run 60-70 miles/week and charge only weekly.

That being said, I do agree for the technology they're putting in these things that they are extremely overpriced. Numerous smart watches come on the market for the $100-150 range and have significantly more software features than Garmin does. Bike computers (like the "new" Edge 520) probably cost Garmin $15-20 to make at this point. Watches like the Forerunner 235 and 735XT are probably the same base watch running different software, one being $100-150 more than the other. But they're the "Apple" of the Fitness world. Others have tried (Suunto, Polar, TomTom, etc), but no one has come close to dethroning Garmin. Occasional hiccups aside, most of Garmin's products just work. No fooling with crazy menus or 7 data fields per page on a tiny screen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you have mostly made up your mind, largely because you do not value the benefits of an optimized user experience and dedicated device. (The 820 was a total turd, because touch screens are horrible interfaces on exercise devices.) Here are a few things to consider...
  • Phone GPS is less accurate than a typical Garmin GPS. For example, on a 56 mile bike, a Garmin might typically read 55.8 - 56.2. However, an iPhone might read 54.9 - 56.1. Some people do not care, others do.
  • Garmin/Wahoo is dedicated... just leave it on the bike and it is always there for you.
  • No click/swipe nonsense to get to the activity, nor risk of losing focus during a ride and having to get there again.
  • No touch screen hassles while sweating on a ride.
  • Compatibility with Ant+
  • Compact. To some, the size of a 520/820/Bolt is perfect, and the 1030 or iPhone would be ginormous
  • No wonky attachments or special case on the phone to mount to the bike

If none of that stuff matters to your use cases, then go for the phone. But, if you value optimized tools, then you may miss that with phone only.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jun 5, 18 13:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why you’ve had such a bad experience with bike computers. My edge 520 does everything exactly as I want it to. Never glitchy. Never buggy.

Also I’m not sure many athletes would have the cockpit space for a phone. I know I wouldn’t.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Don't be a damn fool man! Who would want a small, simple, compact device which can simply be attached and removed from a convenient place on your bike without the need for a cable or an extra battery pack, that performs the function you require perfectly well? Who the hell needs that?!

Hell, my mobile phone is not anywhere near as powerful as my Core i7 water cooled gaming PC. It is like comparing a chalk board to a super computer! And what kind of bloody simpleton wants to look at a tiny 5.9 inch screen? I'm fixing up a bracket to mount my alienware on my bars with a 62 inch curved OLED. Ok, I might only get 19 seconds out of my 2kg torch battery but it looks so goooooood. Think how many data fields I will be able to display, and with what colour depth and resolution, while I plough my bike into the back of a tractor towing a combine harvester.

Or... a simple device that does what you need.

dunno wrote:
please shoot some holes in my idea?

You don't really mean that, do you?

Another day on the internet...

"Here's my idea. Give me your feedback"
"Here's my feedback"
"No, not that feedback. Give me the feedback I want "

Look, it is a horses-for-courses thing. And the Garmin 1030 you reference is at the very top of the spectrum... a Wahoo Bolt is no where near that kind of money, so that argument is specious.

Yes another day on the internet indeed...If you read the thread I’ve accepted many of the points raised and have even said I’ll likely buy a Wahoo Element, but that doesn’t mean I’m still not going to point out points that I don’t think are necessary issues such as battery life which unless you are doing regular 6+ hour rides is not an issue lol, or mounting brackets...seriously...or waterproofing...maybe if your phone fell off Noah’s ark. A lot of the points raised do seem to be frivolous.

But someone has raised an absolute deal breaker that I hadnt thought of and that is overheating. I can see how that would definitely be a problem. And rain activating the screen...though maybe the answer is to just have a crappy touch screen like Garmin that doesn’t work either way even when you use your finger..
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Not sure why you’ve had such a bad experience with bike computers. My edge 520 does everything exactly as I want it to. Never glitchy. Never buggy.

Also I’m not sure many athletes would have the cockpit space for a phone. I know I wouldn’t.

As per the post above yours there are hundred of posts on the inter web about the 820 being a POS..

You do raise a good point about cockpit space though. I had trouble reading the 820 due poor eyesight so something the size of the Element would be perfect, I’m not sure if it would fit though with my Xlabs bta setup...
Last edited by: dunno: Jun 5, 18 12:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. When I first picked up my Garmin 520 a few months ago, I was shocked by how laggy the interface is for such a simple device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never want a bike computer so large! And not only would I not want it, it would not even come close to fitting between my aerobars where I want to have it.

I do not want a color screen. All I need to see are numbers. Why would I want a color screen?

I want something I can see in bright light.

I want something that is likely to survive a crash.

I want something that only costs $200 to replace, not $800, if it does break when I crash.

I do not want to drench my "water resistant" $800 phone in the rain.

I don't want the mount to have to be bigger and heavier than it already is to hold the thing firmly when I hit a pothole at 35 mph.

I want something as small as possible while displaying at least 4 metrics per screen in a readable fashion.

I need to turn it on when I leave transition, tracking satellites, and not run out of batteries before I finish an ironman bike leg. That could be 1.5 hours before swim start, 1 hour to swim, 5 hours to bike - so 7.5 hours.

I got one of these a few weeks ago and it is awesome:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/596828

The garmin 500's, 800's and 1000's are too big and a waste of money imo.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I would never want a bike computer so large! And not only would I not want it, it would not even come close to fitting between my aerobars where I want to have it.

I do not want a color screen. All I need to see are numbers. Why would I want a color screen?

I want something I can see in bright light.

I want something that is likely to survive a crash.

I want something that only costs $200 to replace, not $800, if it does break when I crash.

I do not want to drench my "water resistant" $800 phone in the rain.

I don't want the mount to have to be bigger and heavier than it already is to hold the thing firmly when I hit a pothole at 35 mph.

I want something as small as possible while displaying at least 4 metrics per screen in a readable fashion.

I need to turn it on when I leave transition, tracking satellites, and not run out of batteries before I finish an ironman bike leg. That could be 1.5 hours before swim start, 1 hour to swim, 5 hours to bike - so 7.5 hours.

I got one of these a few weeks ago and it is awesome:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/596828

The garmin 500's, 800's and 1000's are too big and a waste of money imo.

That actually looks quite good for the price. All I want to see is power speed and distance. I need a big screen because of poor eye sight though... :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Battery is indeed an issue. Here I am at work, about to shove off for the day and my phone after a relatively light usage day is at 62%. So even according to your generous calculations of screen on time, I have 3 maybe 4 hours of battery life left. I'm not terribly interested in going for a 2.5 hour ride after work where I am afraid my phone is going to die. How am I going to call my wife to come get me out in the middle of nowhere when my phone is dead?

iPhones have never claimed to be waterproof, they claim to be "water resistant" but their warranty still does not cover water damage. I am not going to hang my $850 phone under my sweaty face to test Apple's ability to water proof a phone.

How do you plan to hook up your power meter? BT? If so, that is going to cut your battery estimates down.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
Battery is indeed an issue. Here I am at work, about to shove off for the day and my phone after a relatively light usage day is at 62%. So even according to your generous calculations of screen on time, I have 3 maybe 4 hours of battery life left. I'm not terribly interested in going for a 2.5 hour ride after work where I am afraid my phone is going to die. How am I going to call my wife to come get me out in the middle of nowhere when my phone is dead?

iPhones have never claimed to be waterproof, they claim to be "water resistant" but their warranty still does not cover water damage. I am not going to hang my $850 phone under my sweaty face to test Apple's ability to water proof a phone.

How do you plan to hook up your power meter? BT? If so, that is going to cut your battery estimates down.

Lol there are a million videos on YouTube of people testing the iPhone 8 swimming underwater, prolonged periods in fish tanks etc and your worries about some sweat drops?

As for battery life it’s quite simple-there are phone are covers that have a built in battery that gives at least 4 hours, more than enough for your ride.

Anyway it’s all a moot point as the overheating factor is a deal breaker..
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
I'm not terribly interested in going for a 2.5 hour ride after work where I am afraid my phone is going to die. How am I going to call my wife to come get me out in the middle of nowhere when my phone is dead?

Dude. Seriously?

Please re-read what you just wrote, then promptly go hit yourself in the face with an iron skillet.

Where is that Aussie HTFU guy when we need him?
Last edited by: Zissou: Jun 6, 18 3:51
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zissou wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:
I'm not terribly interested in going for a 2.5 hour ride after work where I am afraid my phone is going to die. How am I going to call my wife to come get me out in the middle of nowhere when my phone is dead?

Dude. Seriously?

Please re-read what you just wrote, then promptly go hit yourself in the face with an iron skillet.

Where is that Aussie HTFU guy when we need him?

I once had to call a friend to pick me up after I got hit by a car. I was ok aside from a few bumps and bruises but the frame was trashed. I wasn't interested in walking 45k back home in bike shoes while carrying a broken bike.

But yeah, you do you.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike computers suck [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorta unfair. I'm all about Rule #5 but it is good to have a comms device on ya for the occasional mishap. I've had to pick up the wife before when her riding friend slid out on a corner and was a solid 20 miles from town. Ish happens.

That being said, I don't even have a bike computer. I just go by feel, bruh.
Quote Reply

Prev Next