Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with braking on a Shiv
Quote | Reply
My wife rides a large Shiv. She has always had issues with the rear brake. After advice from ST I changed the rear brake to a Tririg. She still maintains that the breaking is weak. She will not bike in the rain. Would hydraulic brakes be a solution? Could I convert to disc brakes in the rear? I know that Parlee, QR, and Cervelo are making disc brake Tri bikes, but fit is an issue, she is 6'1" with a 37" inseam. Also, her wheels are aluminum, not carbon breaking surface.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with braking on a Shiv [tomk407] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What brake levers are you using? This can often make a noticeable difference. We recommend the Shimano BL-TT78 and BL-TT79 levers. Also, have you considered changing the front to an Omega X as well? Front braking is generally more important than rear.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't convert a rim brake bike to a disc brake bike.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't convert to disc, but you can convert to hydraulic. I did this on my shiv and made braking a lot better. It was one of my favorite upgrades overall, even stopping in rain with carbon wheels wasn't that painful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something is off in your setup. The brakes on my Shiv are excellent (Omega X).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Magura hydraulic rim brakes (RT8 or RT6 TT) were standard on one year of the S-Works Shiv.
I love them, and find them to make braking on wet carbon rims significantly better.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Magura_RT_brakes_on_a_shiv__P4897589

Cheers,
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomk407 wrote:
My wife rides a large Shiv. She has always had issues with the rear brake. After advice from ST I changed the rear brake to a Tririg. She still maintains that the breaking is weak. She will not bike in the rain. Would hydraulic brakes be a solution? Could I convert to disc brakes in the rear? I know that Parlee, QR, and Cervelo are making disc brake Tri bikes, but fit is an issue, she is 6'1" with a 37" inseam. Also, her wheels are aluminum, not carbon breaking surface.
Magura Hydro Rim will definitely help. It was a spec at one point before the Magura recall.

Another question should be what rims and brake pads are you running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tomk407 wrote:

Does she not use the front brake? If so, then of course the brakes would feel weak.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with braking on a Shiv [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange, i changed to Tririg and never had better braking and i use Carbon Wheels.
Are you shure you are using the right brake pads for Aluminum?
Quote Reply
Re: Help with braking on a Shiv [ogni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using the orange pad they came with. Are these the wrong ones?
Quote Reply