Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

There was the Nimble Crosswind and Zipp also had a tri-spoke. Also Corima has a tri spoke was well as a four spoke ( more is better, right). .

Vision also do tri spokes.
Last edited by: Shambolic: Jun 4, 18 19:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I currently have (and had since 2000) a Corima 4-spoke). It is 18 years old & I still use it to race on. I raced my last Kona on it a few years ago. Only because it's the only wheel other than my Zipp 900 that I have & the disc isn't legal there. If I were to do it again, I'd have to use the Corima--unless I rented, but wheels are kind of wide these days & may not fit my 2010 P3C.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

There was the Nimble Crosswind and Zipp also had a tri-spoke. Also Corima has a tri spoke was well as a four spoke ( more is better, right).

Why stop at 4? :-)

Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:

I have zero data on the shamal but internet legend says via “I heard about some wind tunnel data” that it is a very fast wheel.

I've heard the legends. As a Campy guy, I always wonder why they went away from this wheel design.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
hblake wrote:

There was the Nimble Crosswind and Zipp also had a tri-spoke. Also Corima has a tri spoke was well as a four spoke ( more is better, right).

Because you get 21 spokes for the price of 5😀
Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
hblake wrote:

CyclingNews has pictures of the new Giant 4-spoke as well
Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Vittoria Pista and Pista Speed also come in 19mm
Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [FastforaSlowGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FastforaSlowGuy wrote:
I've been out of the game for a few years. Is this still a solid choice, or are the deep section wheels just better at this point?

It's been many years since I rode a borrowed trispoke but I recall that it was definitely more sensitive to crosswinds than a regular spoked deep wheel. I remember having a "holy shit" moment when a truck passed me in a TT.

Protour riders undoubtedly have better handling skills than us mortals and are likely used to the handling of this wheel in crosswinds. Given that whatever advantage the trispoke has over the best deep wheels probably comes at average speeds that amateur triathletes rarely attain I think the majority of us are better served with more modern wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [FastforaSlowGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GT3 and PRO 3 are really fast wheels. The H3 still has its uses on certain frames.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
I have zero data on the shamal but internet legend says via “I heard about some wind tunnel data” that it is a very fast wheel.

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/...inny-vs-fat.html?m=1
Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:

Assuming latex? The last conti tempo I had from 2012 was latex.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

http://www.trainingandracingwithapowermeter.com/...inny-vs-fat.html?m=1

Cheers,

I read that a long time ago, forgot the origin.

My wife raced it on the front this weekend, the interesting comments were how stable and solid it was in cross winds and descending.

Looks a bit funny on a p5 though!

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
walie wrote:
No disc brakes though, so in BryanD's eyes, he's just a yuppie Fred on the MUP

No. But I question any team riding Shimano PRO wheels because normally there is a paycheck associated with that.

Why is it then that ENVE and Zipp and all the other wheel companies don't make trispokes if they are so fast?

enve was priorotising in a disc wheel first so it might take another 10 year for a 3 spoke lol ( but i guess you know that this makes your argument worthless using enve to make a point 3 spokes dont work)
overall i think its quite clear tri spoles work very well for very fast people at very low yaw . and more people complain abut the bike handling in gusts ie its an even smaller market than a disc wheel .
So i guess commercial interests are one of the main reasons.
production cost another ?
Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
GT3 and PRO 3 are really fast wheels. The H3 still has its uses on certain frames.

Interesting that the GT3 would be much different from the H3. According to HED the spoke shape is identical to the original Specialized/DuPont design. I would think this would make the fork/spoke interaction issue roughly the same for the H3 and GT3.

One bike I would really like to see tests with an H3 is the Ridley. If their goofy fork really does decrease preassure between the fork legs, you would think that would be an example of a frame with a narrow fork that worked well with a Trispke.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Likewise I'd like to test an H3+ in an Orbea Ordu frame (the new one). Great frame design IMO, too bad they went with the goofy 1" steerer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:

Assuming latex? The last conti tempo I had from 2012 was latex.

Maurice

a few years ago vittoria had latex inner tubes on all its best tubulars; I don't know if they still do, but my guess is yes. dugast also has some nice tyres, as narrow as 18mm (with latex inner)
Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I've missed it, but the biggest downside to tri spokes is the lack of vertical compliance and they can skip in corners due to that extreme stiffness, whereas spoked wheels have much greater vertical compliance. But then, if you compare the vertical compliance of a HED Jet wheel to a full structural carbon deep rim from Zipp or Enve, the latter two rims feel pretty harsh.

I was actually thinking the other day that I'm sure a tri spoke design could be designed to provide box rim compliance with good side wind handling and possibly better aerodynamics than a spoked deep rim - maybe the tri spokes are less wide closer to the hub or vice versa; or a deep rim with narrower tri spokes; or engineered to optimize disc brake aerodynamics better than a spoked wheel can do.... just some ideas. But first, compliance would have to be addressed. I hypothesize that the number of riders who go down while cornering in grand tour TT's is highly correlated with front tri/quad spoke use.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tested both and the GT3 was a lot faster, however it's both tub and fork dependent as to how much faster it can be.
Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Both of those wheels were pretty much dogs. But the Trispoke wheel is absolutely still a contender. Maybe not the fastest but it is still right up there in the mix. And, there is something about the H3 that doesn't show up in wind tunnel testing, maybe it's ''watts to spin'' something but it's a fast wheel.

And then there's the ''bad ass factor'';

Came for the tri-spoke, but can't stop looking at the humpback
Quote Reply
Re: Is the tri-spoke wheel still relevant? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Likewise I'd like to test an H3+ in an Orbea Ordu frame (the new one).

Works great in my opinion, especially with a Conti SS 20mm.

Quote:
too bad they went with the goofy 1" steerer.

How so? They provide a shim, and any regular stem works provided the stem does not extend too far behind the steerer tube to interfere with the frame.
Quote Reply

Prev Next